The Outsider

Is Ponting a retard?  

1. 1.

• Yes, he resembles Dubya
    • Yes, he thinks he is in some other country
    • No, he is just drunk
    • No, he just acts like one

Ponting :

Coming here to India, it's a place where we have a very good record, particularly in the limited-overs game."
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indvaus/content/current/story/312735.html Ignoring the particularly in limited over games part, Australia have their worst record in India over the past so many years. It's been a place where they could not chase 100 to win a test, a place where Kumble knocked the stuffing out of their batting in a matter of 10 overs, a place where Harbhajan and Laxman rolled over the all conquering Aussie side, a place where they tasted one of their worst innings defeat in history, and also a place where the guy making this statement averages 12 spanning 10 test matches and 10 years.
ODIs is not the question here. Sure' date=' they've done well in ODIs but how is their test record "very good" given it is worse than Pakistan, South Africa, and England in the past decade.[/quote'] Worse than England? Umm... 0-3 in 93, 0-1 in 02 and 1-1 the last time around? I think only New Zealand's been worse than England... a task that takes some doing in India. (Yes, you knew I'd bite on that one.) And agree, their test record's nothing beyond respectable as I said. Respectable != very good. Then again, Punter's been prone to foot in mouth disease before.

I think the thread title is unfairly denigrading about Ponting. The Aussies have won everything in their path in the last 5 years except ashes 2005. They have dominated India in the recent past too. Its not without reason that Ponting is big-mouthing. But thats a good thing. As Australia will lose this one-day series , we can all bump this thread then and have fun. :D

^ Sriram, it's not about whether Australia win the ODI series or not, they most probably will. They are a superb ODI unit. It's about rewriting history. Just because the Aussies have won most of the things since becoming the number 1 team, does not mean that their captain can go around spouting gibberish about having a very good record in India. He has lost the only test he captained in India, not being able to chase 100 runs. He has been at the receiving end of numerous thrashings in India as a player and his team has a mediocre record at best in India since he started playing and he has the gall to say that his team has a "very good" record in India. Not done. A dishonest opinion by a retard, IMO.

England have won 1 test, lost 2. Australia have won 4, lost 6. England has a better W/L ratio. I'll give you the minor edge that they won a series but then England got fewer chances!!
England won 1, lost 2 and drew 3. 1/6. Australia won 4, lost 6, drew 1 IIRC? 4 wins out of 11 games beats 1 win in 6. BTW, I wouldn't say winning a series is a minor edge... given that South Africa and Australia are the only two teams to do it in a long time, it's one hell of a feat and should be viewed as such. India vs. just about ANYONE in India has been one of the toughest tours for any team to undertake, and the happy-to-draw approach NZ and England have taken on those tours indicate just what a challenge it is for touring teams. For Australia to win 4 out of 11 games in India... including two to win a series is a very impressive feat (even if it did involve a few own goals).

Not 'very good', Shwetabh! I said twice earlier: " And agree, their test record's nothing beyond respectable as I said. Respectable != very good." "Test record's respectable/decent, but not that much more." I'm not trying to defend Ponting's comments, and I'll again say that Australia's record in India isn't very good. It's respectable, decent, etc, but not more than that. However, I am defending Australia's record in India from your comparison to England's, and now that you've at least granted me the England point, I'll shut up. Or try to. :D

when he says "especially" in ODIs it assumes they have done well in tests too. They have won 1 test series in the past 40 years in india. In fact, the last test series they played in India, the only match they lost was when Ponting played, although thats probably just a coincidence. However, he does have the right to brag about the Australia's ODI record ... that doesnt mean we have to listen or care