West Indies A tour of India, 2013

Chandan

Nayar, Kulkarni bowled very well: Johnson Leon Johnson top scored with 81 for West Indies 'A' but was disappointed that he could not carry on. More excerpts from the end of the day press conference. On the day's play: I'm happy the way I played. Disappointed to fall. We were in a good position but let it slip after tea. On the pitch and conditions: The wicket was a bit spicy. It had some grass. Obviously on tracks like these, a lot of runs will be scored behind the wicket. The wicket did ease up probably an hour after lunch. The bowlers bowled in good areas. They were able to swing even after tea. On their final score: Disappointed obviously especially after the partnership that myself and Deonarine put on. I think we shouldn't have been bowled out on the first day itself. Not taking anything away from the way Nayar and Kulkarni bowled. They were able to swing the ball even after 70 overs. On playing the drive more: It was a testament to the lengths the bowlers were bowling. Obviously to swing it you have to pitch it up. We were looking to counter the swing. Was there reverse swing? I wont be able to say that. If it was swinging to the shiny side but there was swing. On wasting starts: It's a mental thing. Couple of times, the guys got out to decent balls and sometimes to bad shots. It's not that we are not capable of getting big scores. It's about buckling down in the 80s and 90s and carrying on. Dhawal Kulkarni picked up three crucial wickets but thought the day could have been better for him. Here's what he said after the day's play. On their mindset when batsmen were batting well: The only thing was to show aggressive approach. It was a good performance but could have been better had I got a five-fer. We had a meeting at lunch where the coach asked us not to give away easy boundaries. They were playing aggressive shots as well. On the pitch and conditions: The wicket was a bit slow so the only thing was to stick to line and length. There was no reverse swing. The ball had become very soft and the wicket was slow. The only thing we could do was to hit the wicket hard. On the Powell dismissal: I had seen his videos. He was struggling a bit against the away swing. I did not play the first two games but had seen the videos. So that was the plan. To bowl that from round the wicket. On the plan further: They were two down at lunch so pretty happy to have picked up the other wickets in the next two sessions. It was do or die. We only have to win. We have great batsmen and we have to play the initial overs well tomorrow which will set the tone for the match.
http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/58922/nayar-kulkarni-bowled-very-well:-johnson/?utm_source=ig&utm_medium=news&utm_campaign=gadget

^ i doubt if Zaheer is even aiming to get back in the ODI side. or even T20s. Now i dont really know what went on as no live pictures. But it seemed to me that Zaheer is trying to keep things tight and ease himself back. Pandey was too conservative with his bowling. Kulkarni took some risks (probably searched for a yard of extra pace) and was rewarded as a result of bowling some extremely good balls among the extremely poor ones. At this moment Zaheer seems to be a bit afraid of taking any risks and is sticking to line and length. Ie bowling within himself. Bodes well for Mumbai. Dhawal and Zaheer are going to form a very good combo in the Ranjis. Hope pitches provide them with some assistance. Cant think of a better bowling due. Probably backed up by Agarkar and Nayar. Strongest pace bowling unit in the domestics.

push on for the victory. I think the pitch has eased up after the first day. A good toss to win for India A by the looks of it. Get a lead of 200 and chuck them in...
Playing 3 pacers on Indian pitches is such a double-edged sword, now they do not have a second spinner to work around on 4ht day.
Playing 3 pacers on Indian pitches is such a double-edged sword' date=' now they do not have a second spinner to work around on 4ht day.[/quote'] Inida A matches should be looked at as identifying and nuturing the talent......Winning should not be the primary goal. Now, for india, need of the hour is pacers as compared to spinner or batsmen.So, give as many chances as possible to pacemen
Playing 3 pacers on Indian pitches is such a double-edged sword' date=' now they do not have a second spinner to work around on 4ht day.[/quote'] I guess Viru needs to take the ball... I personally think its worked for India a in this game. Three seamers were beneficial on day 1. So we have the advantage there and cashed in. It will also be a test of our seamers. Pandey and Zaheer especially need to go for the wicket taking balls. So they need to attack. Will tell us a lot about them in conditions not in their favour.
Inida A matches should be looked at as identifying and nuturing the talent......Winning should not be the primary goal. Now' date=' for india, need of the hour is pacers as compared to spinner or batsmen.So, give as many chances as possible to pacemen[/quote'] You can rarely judge a pacer playing on these pitches.