Need help

Ram

OK , I know quite a few here are either current or erstwhile students. So pray tell me , Is it safe to go to India while you are on OPT ? I spoke with the International office here at my univ and they say that its quite safe to go to India if you have the OPT card and letter of employment from employer. I can get both , but i have heard instances of students having trouble at immigration even with both of these. Any information on this regard will be massively appreciated.

actually one of my friend was here and got change his visa status.. from h1 to fi.. lawyer work did it all for him.. but when he thought of going to india, then he was told by the uni ppl that u can easily go to India.. but his lawyer told him that u might be in troublee while coming back from India.... they might take ur in'tview again.. better confirm first mate.. properly...

Never do it. You are not safe untill you have a H1 ... there are some legal reasons but its best you search Rajiv Khanna site immigration.com ... or immihelp.com
H1 !!! Thats like another year away ! :cry_smile: Shall go through the sites you have listed. Thanks !

H1 takes a year? Don't you have to be on a H1 to start working anyways with your new employer?
Once i graduate , I am given 12 months for OPT or Optical practical training, where i can work for a company in a job related to my degree. Students graduating in december file for H1 the following march and get their H1s that October. Till then ( Dec of one year to Oct of the next year) , the OPT helps them to stay in status.

I traveled twice to India on my OPT and twice to Europe during the same period without any hassles at all. On one occasion I entered US less than a month before my OPT was expiring and all I had to tell the immigration officer at that time was that my J-1 was in process. It's just like traveling on a F-1, never heard anyone face problems as long as you have your I-20 and EAD card with you. I carried a letter from my employer on all occasions but they never asked for it.

I traveled twice to India on my OPT and twice to Europe during the same period without any hassles at all. On one occasion I entered US less than a month before my OPT was expiring and all I had to tell the immigration officer at that time was that my J-1 was in process. It's just like traveling on a F-1' date=' never heard anyone face problems as long as you have your I-20 and EAD card with you. I carried a letter from my employer on all occasions but they never asked for it.[/quote'] Thats quite a relief to know. But i do have a slight problem. My F-1 runs out on Dec 14 2007 , but my OPT comes into effect only on Jan 7 , 2008. Can i travel home and come back in the gap in between ? i.e Can i go home around Dec 16 and come back around Jan 5 ?

My F-1 runs out on Dec 14 2007 , but my OPT comes into effect only on Jan 7 , 2008. Can i travel home and come back in the gap in between ? i.e Can i go home around Dec 16 and come back around Jan 5 ?
You can do it, but you'll need to get your F-1 stamped in that case as far as I know since you can re-enter only on a valid visa.

Marirs, Do NOT travel till you get your H1....f1-opt travel not recommended. I understand its a pain in the butt to sit and wait - but travel on OPT is not advised. Shwetabh may have swung it, it all depends on luck. Some are brave, take a chance, and nothing really happens...I've heard of problems though. Really depends on your LUCK. With immigration, do not take chances with luck. You never know when they'll screw you...unless the Immigration officer is a nice blonde, and you dont mind getting screwed! :D

Marirs, Do NOT travel till you get your H1....f1-opt travel not recommended. I understand its a pain in the butt to sit and wait - but travel on OPT is not advised. Shwetabh may have swung it, it all depends on luck. Some are brave, take a chance, and nothing really happens...I've heard of problems though. Really depends on your LUCK. With immigration, do not take chances with luck. You never know when they'll screw you...unless the Immigration officer is a nice blonde, and you dont mind getting screwed! :D
:sad_smile::sad_smile::sad_smile::cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_smile::confused_smile::confused_smile::confused_smile:

have you got offer letter in hand?
I havent got an offer letter yet , but ask the guy to mail/fax it to me. And coming back to the question , there is no way i can wait till H1 to go home. That will be like 2 full years away. My parents will be driven nuts.

Man' date=' you guys are a paranoid bunch. But anyhow, to each his own.[/quote'] I have heard/known officials refusing entry on flimsy grounds. You don't take any chances with these bums. In hard political times, they are easily influenced to take decisions their own way. Some parents have been refused entry despite having a valid visa, only because they didn't carry some documents with them regarding their previous extended stay. They might follow the rule to it's every word, or make some concessions. When the rules are ambigious, it is left to one's interpretation, and there is no definite answer to what they will choose.

I havent got an offer letter yet , but ask the guy to mail/fax it to me. And coming back to the question , there is no way i can wait till H1 to go home. That will be like 2 full years away. My parents will be driven nuts.
then dont go home. You cannot convince them to allow you to enter. Moreover you mentioned that your F1 will expire in Dec 2007. On what pretext will you be allowed to enter?

then dont go home. You cannot convince them to allow you to enter. Moreover you mentioned that your F1 will expire in Dec 2007. On what pretext will you be allowed to enter?
The person at the international students office says that once i have my EAD card and employment letter , i shouldnt have any problem going home and returning. Darn , should have gone last summer !