Indian deputy consul general arrested in US on visa fraud charges

maniac

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/column-suhasini-haider-devyani-case-why-the-us-needs-to-apologise-quickly/20131220.htm
Making matters more complex -- and perhaps the reason why India was reluctant to simply pull Dr Khobragade out of the consulate to safety once it was known that the case against her was fairly serious -- is that her husband is a naturalised US citizen. Whatever the truth, two things are clear: India will have to undertake serious changes in its policy for Indian-born Domestic Assistants, IBDA -- to build a pool of IBDAs who work with the consulate, and can be designated as 'official staff,' out of the purview of US wage structures.
Never seen any article about Mr. Khobragade so far. Interesting to note he is a US citizen! Not sure what to make of it. Makes sense how she could post a bail of 250k and but why not pay min wage to her help?

Just like I don't need to use qualifiers to say that ISI orchestrated 26/11, even though the US may not accept it and their state department may intervene to stop court proceedings in NY against the ISI chief initiated by victims of 26/11. Oops ... did I just stumble upon yet another case of US govt "upholding law and justice" ?
Another fallacy - "Appeal to Probability". Just because you were right at X1, X2, X3 ... you will be right at X10. You can do that though - I would still like to sit on the fence in this one. :cantstop: Trying to put words in the mouth aren't we? I have called US double standards, morons, idiots etc. in this thread - never said they are perfect but that doesn't cater to India Shining agenda so probably was conveniently ignored.

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/column-suhasini-haider-devyani-case-why-the-us-needs-to-apologise-quickly/20131220.htm Never seen any article about Mr. Khobragade so far. Interesting to note he is a US citizen! Not sure what to make of it. Makes sense how she could post a bail of 250k and but why not pay min wage to her help?
:beee: Please don't bring that up. That doesn't help the conspiracy theory angle and boost our patriotism. I mean poor Dalit hard worked through the system to get into IFS with such a low pay, maid (with an English last name which seems to be quite relevant apparently) extorting Dr. Devyani Khobragade. :sniffle: We should ignore all other facts like that she signed a 2nd contract, under paid her 1/9th the time she wrote on her vis application. After all she has a quota! :hitler: In the mean time, let us bring in all US misdeeds over the world and try to show our patriotism by showing by US has been wrong rather than showing Devyani was wrong in this case. :isalute:

We in India follow a two tier system. When a commoner' date=' for instance a ship's captain who goes for reporting an attack on his ship and is then thrown in prison in some tinpot african republic for months, its business as usual. Heavens forbid some babu/mantri/actor etc has to deal with some problems, the VIP brigade wouldn't have any of it.[/quote'] If I were discussing elitism, income inequalities, social inequalities in India etc in another thread, it would have been good for me. Would have welcomed all the valid criticism. This thread however, I am tempted to point out the things like - 1. GDP(PPP) per capita ratio for US and India being abt 12:1, and yet there being so many poor and homeless in USA. 2. Contrasting mindset of Americans regarding White people versus Black and Mexican people. Also the fact that its about the Consular General who we think are among of the main representatives of India in the world, and elitism is not even applicable. if this was an example of elitism, then such elitism would be there in most countries of the world as most would have reacted in a similar way.

MEA 'bent' rules to favour Devyani Khobragade http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/MEA-bent-rules-to-favour-Devyani-Khobragade/articleshow/27744181.cms

NEW DELHI: Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade had been a go-getter right from the day she entered Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and got what she wanted, thanks to her 'influential' IAS father and benevolent political connections. The rules for allotment of foreign language to the IFS officers on the basis of their rank in the select list was changed only for her batch (1999) to ensure she got her chosen language. The Supreme Court found this in a judgment that was delivered three and half years ago while reinstating a dismissed IFS officer Mahaveer V Singhvi and imposing a fine of Rs 25,000 on the Union government for wrongfully terminating the services of the 1999 batch IFS officer. In this judgment, the court noted the sensational allegations of Singhvi against his batch-mate Khobragade. His lawyer Jayant Bhushan said, "Authorities were desperate to cover up the highly dubious and motivated manner in which the rules of allotment (of foreign language) were altered only in respect of the 1999 batch of IFS appointees in order to favour a particular candidate who was graded lower than Singhvi." Bhushan said despite being graded higher than five other candidates in the select list of 10, Singhvi was denied right of preference relating to allotment of a foreign language of his choice in order to accommodate one Devyani Khobragade, who was graded at two places below Singhvi and wanted German as her first preference. "A great amount of political pressure was brought to bear upon the authorities concerned to ensure that Khobragade was allotted German as her language preference, as she happened to be daughter of a powerful IAS officer in Maharashtra," Bhushan had alleged. A bench of then Justices Altamas Kabir, J M Pnachal and Cyriac Joseph said, "From the facts as disclosed and the submissions made on behalf of the respective parties, there is little doubt in our minds that the order dated 13th June, 2002, by which the Singhvi was discharged from service, was punitive in character and had been motivated by considerations which are not reflected in the said order." "The Union government and ministry of external affairs have not been able to satisfactorily explain why the rules/norms for allotment of languages were departed from only for the year 1999 so that the Singhvi was denied his right of option for German and such choice was given to Khobragade who was at two stages below Singhvi in the gradation list," the bench said. "The mode of allotment was amended for the 1999 Batch in such a calculated fashion that Ms Khobragade, who was at Serial No.7, was given her choice of German over and above Singhvi, who was graded at two stages above her," the bench had said in its judgment delivered on July 29, 2010.

Another fallacy - "Appeal to Probability". Just because you were right at X1, X2, X3 ... you will be right at X10. You can do that though - I would still like to sit on the fence in this one. :cantstop: Trying to put words in the mouth aren't we? I have called US double standards, morons, idiots etc. in this thread - never said they are perfect but that doesn't cater to India Shining agenda so probably was conveniently ignored.
I would trust the Indian govt over the American govt in a case involving Indian citizens. Just like I do it in the case of Indian govt over pakistan, china etc. Plus I have shown you an example of US lying blatantly about retro-active immunity which it granted a Saudi Prince and was upheld by a US court, but since an Indian official is involved they are denying it. So forget about past cases, even in this case US is LYING!! And please don't pretend to sit on the fence, you have made your opinion quite clear through your contribution in this thread.

Now it appears that the US Govt had been in touch with India to quietly remove her from the scene and transfer Madam Khobragade out of US but that was unacceptable to her because she is married to an expat who lives in New York. Clearly she thought it is no big deal to file wrong affidavits and declarations. Afterall the Khobragade clan has done it so many times and never had any problems with it. The famous Indian ‘sab chalta hai’ attitude. The height of arrogance is that instead of accepting a transfer out of US they filed cases against the victim in India. All this well before the arrest which should have come as no surprise to MEA. This lady (and her dad) have an admirable record including -the housing society scam -bending rules for something as trivial as IFS language selection and getting the deserving candidate who was ranked higher than her sacked when he tried to protest -Getting the Govt machinery to chase Richard family in India so that she can continue to live in New York. The Khobragades represent every thing that is wrong with the Indian system. Elites exploiting the weak without ever being responsible for the consequences of their actions- the Manu Sharmas, Salman Khans and more recently Ambani junior. I am surprised at the support she is getting in the name of national pride. National pride my foot. More like national shame as the whole world sees what Indian democracy is all about.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Devyani-case-resolution-complicated-by-marriage-to-US-born-wine-philosopher/articleshow/27742499.cms? Oenophile, Wine Philisopher! My conspiracy thory: 1. DK and Oenophile living a happy life in NYC, with 2 kids 7 and 3 are looking for a nanny. They find them to be too expensive in the city. They try the Indian resource pool, diplomat perks, India VIP influence of her father, etc. 2. Richards seeks employment with DK through known connections. DK goes greedy and instead of paying min wage she goes for 30000 pm in Indian rs. because for a Indian Nanny 30k pm is being overpaid. 3. Everything i going fine (she is a live-in nanny, gets ipad, etc.) Richards wants more, wants to emigrate to US with family. She asks for help from DK. DK threatens to send her back to India. Nanny goes absconding, finds a NGO lawyer who knows the DA's people. 4. The DA's office knows that the consulate staff are employing cheaper domestic help, exploiting the US laws. There have been previous cases of consular people ill-treating domestic help. They make a case of human trafficking.

Human Trafficking? LOL.That Saudi guy was holding a woman againist her will.When Dade county police went to free her and arrest the Saudi guy,his army of bodyguards fought with the police and the police had to retreat.And then US gave the idiot retroactive immunity.No doubt Saudi's put unrelenting pressure on US.If Pappu had done the same US would do the same for him also. The point is to not relent.
US slipped on oil in that case. Nothing to slip on when it comes to India.

Those deals were always going to go through on basis of bribery. Those deals are not going anywhere.
Probably India should look at brazil. Brazil was about to sign deal with US for defence with snowden came out all the spying on their president and they signed a deal with SAB of Sweden it costed US 4 billion dollars. Wish our leaders can grow some spine.

Democrats Turn to Minimum Wage as 2014 Strategy
WASHINGTON — Democratic Party leaders, bruised by months of attacks on the new health care program, have found an issue they believe can lift their fortunes both locally and nationally in 2014: an increase in the minimum wage. The effort to take advantage of growing populism among voters in both parties is being coordinated by officials from the White House, labor unions and liberal advocacy groups. In a series of strategy meetings and conference calls among them in recent weeks, they have focused on two levels: an effort to raise the federal minimum wage, which will be pushed by President Obama and congressional leaders, and a campaign to place state-level minimum wage proposals on the ballot in states with hotly contested congressional races.