Everyone is upset over how Sanga was adjudged out. Will India get such shockers ?

fineleg

They are not saying that at all. Their statements have been on the lines that umpires get 90% of their decisions correct' date=' which is an absolute statement.[/quote'] Arrey baba...yes..but their method of checking how accurate umpiring is, is by checking it against hawkeye data. But then the corollary is also true- how do you determine how accurate hawkeye is ? you have umpires/humans review the hawkeye data. So it ends up going round and round in circles, because there are only two processes here- process A and process B. And both processes are competing against one another. So how good/bad a process is, is totally subjective,based on inference from the OTHER process. But if you think hawkeye can accurately simulate a flight path based on lateral movement, linear movement, revolutions on the ball, unequal aerodynamics and the bounce factor ( no two deliveries will bounce the same, no two spots on the pitch are same, etc), then i don't think you realize how inaccurate hawkeye is and how many factors it ignores in its simulation process. And forget hawkeye, not even AESA radar can do what that with 1mm accuracy.

Salil, Please do not close the thread. There are people posting in this thread other than those who are just fighting "old fights". If abuses are being thrown, pls. warn the posters who are indulging in it, if they dont accept, take action against them upto and including handing out bans. Closing threads affects everyone. Why let everyone be affected if only two or three posters are going OTT with abuses? To everyone: please tone it down or ignore ppl you perennially fight with. If threads are being taken down personal abuse drain, then I hope Mods will punish specific abusers rather than 'punishing the thread'.

Boss Bhai, You make some good posts. Why do you let yourself get dragged into a sling fest? Set the ignore option on, and live happily and post happily with other posters. IMO - if you continue to get into this and take different threads down the drain by fights with CC - then Mods cannot keep baby sitting each post, but will just have to hand out bans. Why do this? No matter who started it first, it only hurts ICF to do this and spoil ICF image on each and every thread, right?

MP, Please re-read - why punish the thread rather than warn/ban the abuser - people want to post and make conversations, hopefully not every thread is going to go down this path: If threads are being taken down personal abuse drain, then I hope Mods will punish specific abusers rather than 'punishing the thread'.

A very good suggestion has been put on by an Aussie fan:

How can anyone seriously tell me the game of cricket is better because Sangakarra got sawn off today? When millions of viewers around the world knew before he was halfway off the field that he had been given out wrongly? When 30 seconds of viewing replays would have sufficed for the third ump to recall him? It didn't affect the outcome of a match, and I'm not suggesting that. But the bloke played brilliantly, and deserved a double ton for his efforts. It makes a mockery of the great game of test cricket when one of the best bats in the world, having played one of the best innings I've seen, is left to walk off when before the player even crosses with his replacement, everyone watching knows he shouldn't have been given out. The rule needs to be sensible: a limited number of appeals, and a limited time for the 3rd ump to review the on field umpire's decision; but it can and should be introduced.
And then he further explains it:
Personally' date=' [b']I would argue not only for a limited number of challenges, but for a limited 'review' period - no more than 90 seconds, say. IMHO, the first two slo-mo replays showed beyond any reasonable doubt that Sanga had been given out wrongly. I wouldn't use hotspot, hawk-eye etc - just slow it down, and take a second look. We don't need to go crazy with this - marginal decisions can stand, arguing about them is part of the fun for hardcore fans (I think). But howlers like this one today, where everyone from all sides agrees it was wrong, can and should be reversed with minimal disruption to the game.
I liked the idea. What do you all say. PS: I hope Leo won't mind me quoting him here.
Arrey baba...yes..but their method of checking how accurate umpiring is, is by checking it against hawkeye data. But then the corollary is also true- how do you determine how accurate hawkeye is ? you have umpires/humans review the hawkeye data.
It is fairly easy to determine the accuracy of Hawkeye. Hurls thousands of balls at a distance of 20 odd yards at speeds varying between 40 mph and 100 mph, but don't feed the data of the last 3-5 yards to Hawkeye and see if it's extrapolation matches where the balls actually ended up. Repeat the process in a number of different atmospheric and pitch conditions and you have a nice data set to determine it's accuracy which presumably has already been done for ICC to make not a comparative but absolute claim about the 10% fallibility of the umpires.
So it ends up going round and round in circles, because there are only two processes here- process A and process B. And both processes are competing against one another. So how good/bad a process is, is totally subjective,based on inference from the OTHER process.
Please read above for how Hawkeye would have been tested or at least should have been. How do you test umpires? You can't feed them the information of only the first 15-18 yards in real time, so the closest thing would be to show them action replays cut the frame off in the last 3-5 yards and ask them to predict where the ball would end up being in a few seconds. Compare the results with Hawkeye and you have a clear winner either way and seeing how incompetent I have seen umpires to have been, there is going to be only one winner.
But if you think hawkeye can accurately simulate a flight path based on lateral movement, linear movement, revolutions on the ball, unequal aerodynamics and the bounce factor ( no two deliveries will bounce the same, no two spots on the pitch are same, etc), then i don't think you realize how inaccurate hawkeye is and how many factors it ignores in its simulation process. And forget hawkeye, not even AESA radar can do what that with 1mm accuracy.
It doesn't need to do all that sophisticated stuff. All it needs to do is better than humans, which is very easy to test as I have said above and has presumably been done given ICC's absolute statement. Remember, ICC's main grudge is not Haweye or replay accuracy but authority of on field umpires and time, both old school bogus excuses.

Yes, it's that kind of a change that should be introduced first, Chandan. No need for Hawkeye and Snicko. Just common sense review of decisions and a simple line decision about whether the ball pitched in line or hit in line of the stumps will make most of the howlers go away. It's these howlers which really rob the game and when they can be corrected within a minute, why not? I don't think too many sensible fans argue endlessly about how a batsman should have been given out because Hawkeye showed the ball clipping the top of leg stump.

Things evening out, lmao, if there was ever an award for mockery of intelligence and common sense, this would get the noble prize quite easily. Woolmer actually counted 19 - 5 in their last tour, and of course that's quite even, isn't it? And of course, it'll even out even more in the upcoming series with stats like that. Moreover, any fool can wait till eternity and bet that sometime in the next zillion years it'll even out. Very strong logic I must say.