Laxman proves his worth, once again

Rohan495

NEW DELHI, NOVEMBER 23: He's the ever-returning batsman—always fighting for his permanent place in the team. For VVS Laxman, every match is like a final examination. But today, yet again, the stylish Hyderabadi bat showed why he is still India’s best hope in the longer version of the game. His calm and composed nature is carried to the field as well and maybe that’s one of the reasons that he is always on the mind of the selectors and why his name can never be ignored. Coming out to bat when India had lost three quick wickets, it seemed that Laxman was destined to score runs whenever his fellow mates failed to consolidate their strong position. One could say that playing under pressure situations is his true calling. “It’s just one of those important knocks of my career. When I came at the wicket the situation was tense. But I love such conditions, to play under pressure. It’s just the kind of thing I thrive on,†he said. It’s not the first time that Laxman has bailed India out of a sticky situation. “See I can’t do anything in situations that I can not control. It seems that many feel that I am fighting for a place, but all I can say is just check my performance in England and it will be clear that I have played well there. The selectors have had faith in me so I don’t see any reason for me to question my place in the side.†The stylish right-hander also mentioned how his captain had kept faith in him, and that was motivation enough for him to play good. His job is not over yet. He has to see India through tomorrow’s morning session and make sure that they take a decent lead. It seems that the very person whose inclusion was being questioned now lies between victory and defeat for India. “It’s very important that we have a good start tomorrow. We have to put them under pressure. Tomorrow’s morning session will be very crucial and we have to make sure that we get a sizeable lead,†he said. This situation might follow him throughout the remainder of his career, but he stays humble enough to praise the Pakistani bowlers more than his own innings. “Shoaib Akhtar, Sohail Tanveer, Danish Kaneria all bowled well, but Shoaib was the best,†he said.

It is amazing about Laxman ... many cricket experts agree he should bat no.3, some believe he is our best batsman, Ian Chappell even suggested at one stage during the year (after Dravid stepped down) he be made Indian captain ... yet some people here believe he should be dropped :hysterical:

yea so many wide ranged opinions. Thats what special about him. I believe in an Article he told that this will be the best year of his career. I hope it is so by the time he retires he is something special india has ever had, Laxman should score another 5-10 centuries and try to boost his average to back at its peak 46.61

interesting thing i came across by someone on the cricinfo website (01) Tyrannosaurus Rex - extinct 65 million years ago (02) Irish Deer: the largest deer that ever lived - extinct about 7,700 years ago (03) Cave Lion: one of the largest lions ever - extinct 2,000 years ago (04) Aurochs: a very large type of cattle - extinct since 1627 (05) Dodo: the archetype of extinct species - extinct since late 17th century (06) Steller's Sea Cow: the defenseless beast - extinct since 1768 (07) Great Auk: largest of all auks - extinct since 1844 (08) Quagga: half zebra, half horse - extinct since 1883 (09) Thylacine: the Tasmanian Tiger - extinct since 1936 (10) Caspian Tiger: the third largest - extinct since 1970 (11) Vangipurappu Venkata Sai Laxman: 6 one day hundreds with 4 against Australia with 2 in Australia. 3 of his hundreds abroad being match winning knocks - extinct from One Dayers 2007 (12) Very Very Special Laxman: Declared Endangered Species - Please save and support him. Thanks Mukul. Three Cheers.

Laxman has been this cricketer who has been under perennial trial, his place always under pressure. That is partly because he plays only tests and not ODIs. So we have many players who do well in one-dayers ( like Yuvraj) , who then become automatic competition to Laxman for the test spot. That is inevitable.

I guess its pointless to play Laxy at 6. knowing well he has no clue how to shepherd the tail. The fact that he routinely runs out of partners when set, makes a sure case for him to bat at 3. Dravid isnt playing well at the moment to bat at that spot. Laxy at 3, Dravid 4, Ganguly 5 & Tendulkar 6 is the right order IMO.