Kaththi

Mariyam

Ok...I will call Innocence a copy of whatever movies you named ( I have no clue of them but thats not the point)... In terms of the characters and plot and emotions ( which is all that Pranayam is all about ), it is an exact copy of Innocence.... Yes...the Aus movie has more sexual scenes and overt display...but to say Pranayam is not a copy is not right IMO.... People can disagree...it is their right...I believe Pranayam is a copy as Innocence is a movie I saw and loved and was disappointed when I saw Pranayam ( good acting though )
Key theme of innocence is adultery. Pranayam doesn't have that.

KAnnada might be the worst now. we are not even discussing about it. but there was a director called Putanna Kanagal who made exemplary movies. even Balachander who was his senior by 10 years agreed that he was like a guru to him. unfortunately, for me there are no subtitles for his movies in the dvds. there is a guy called girish kasaravalli now. itseems he makes good art movies. i heard there is a good movie called "Lucia" made. the subs are available on the net. iam yet to see it. after i came to know siddarth is remaking it in tamil, i am waiting for the tamil version.
Lucia is damn good. Amazing movie.

When I visited Hyderabad in 2009,Kick(telugu version) had just released and there was a lot of hype around it and was declared a huge hit....I checked it out in theatres and beleive me not only was it a bad movie,it was annoying like nails on a chalkboard. But still the movie was a huge box office hit. They decide to remake that crap in Hindi and guess what again,huge box office hit. Adds to the star power of both Ravi Teja and Salman Khan. Rakes in the Moolah for producers in both Hindi and Telugu. and obviously there is a huge audience for it. Drishyam which is a super hit in Malyalam is remade in Telugu again with a big star like Venkatesh...terrific movie and obviously Mohan Lal is a great actor and Venkatesh a decent actor too does a very good job in the remake but guess what it is a hit(people in andhra-correct me if I am wrong)...It's more of a multiplex hit I beleive. Now if the producer would have leveraged Venkatesh's star power and made a typical masala crap he would be sitting on loads of money. Simple...and this is where Telugu cinema is....it is not the lack of talent or anything,but just that they found a formula to make money and they are riding the horse to the ground. I blame the fans to some extent but that's another debate and has nothing to do with the above mentioned but from the Telugu film industry's perspective,they are doing what any smart businessman would do.

True. Kamal is going to ruin it with his ott stuff as compared to Mohanlal subtlety
Kamal Hassan always needs a director whom he respects like a Vishwanath or Balachander to put him in check otherwise he overracts to a point of taking you away from the moment.....Great actor caught in his own hype to become an overrated actor now.

i will see them soon. Aranya Kandam was terrific noir movie. well done to the director. but i heard it is utter flop, that they did not even release the dvds. i guess tamil people outrightly rejected the noir format. they just wanted it in the regular commercial format. they might have mistook the noir kind of filmmaking for an art movie.
Soodhu kavvum was noir too? Noir-comedy though. Comedies with quirky plots seem to be the in thing in tamil cinema nowadays. Recently a movie in this genre called Burma was a decent attempt too.

Soodhu kavvum was noir too? Noir-comedy though. Comedies with quirky plots seem to be the in thing in tamil cinema nowadays. Recently a movie in this genre called Burma was a decent attempt too.
i will check that out. basically noir needs characters with full of cynism, certain dark camera lighting and most importantly - femme fatales and a lot more stuff. The first noir movie in tamil was "Andha Naal" by sivaji ganesan - no songs. almost hollywood that movie. Soodu KAvvum is what u call a "dark comedy" genre.

True. Kamal is going to ruin it with his ott stuff as compared to Mohanlal subtlety
Mohanlal is an absolute legend. He doesnt use any prosthetic makeup. With small variations in body language and dialogue modulation, he brings big changes to his characterization in different movies. I wish he did not act in jilla. even in that idiotic movie, he would utter the most cliched and ridiculous dialogues with utter nonchalance.

i will check that out. basically noir needs characters with full of cynism, certain dark camera lighting and most importantly - femme fatales and a lot more stuff. The first noir movie in tamil was "Andha Naal" by sivaji ganesan - no songs. almost hollywood that movie. Soodu KAvvum is what u call a "dark comedy" genre.
soodhu kaavum is slightly overrated but nevertheless enjoyable watch. jigarthanda is equally good, actually better. Goli Soda is another good one - a thriller around a few teenagers with a good climax But the movie I liked the most this year was undoubtedly "sathuranga vettai" - story of a con man... superb. Brilliant making, acting and everything in fact. Again dark comedy.

soodhu kaavum is slightly overrated but nevertheless enjoyable watch. jigarthanda is equally good, actually better. Goli Soda is another good one - a thriller around a few teenagers with a good climax But the movie I liked the most this year was undoubtedly "sathuranga vettai" - story of a con man... superb. Brilliant making, acting and everything in fact. Again dark comedy.
will check them out.