Gary Kirsten maybe India's new coach

Guest Hiten.

NEW DELHI, November 27: Former South African batsman Gary Kirsten is likely to be named Team India coach. According to reports, Kirsten met BCCI panel on Monday. And the final decision on coach is likely to come within a week. Kirsten retired from international cricket in 2004. The announcement for a new coach comes at a time when Team India is doing good in all forms of the game under interim manager Lalchand Rajput. A few days back Rajput was handed a letter 're-appointing' him as the coach of the Indian U-19 team by the BCCI. Rajput's term will be effective from December 20 till the end of the U-19 World Cup in March, 2008. The Indian cricket team is without a coach since Australia's Greg Chappell resigned after India's humiliating defeat at the World Cup in the Caribbean. http://cricket.indiatimes.com/News/NewsKirsten_likely_to_be_named_Team_India_coach/articleshow/2574209.cms Source: TOI, NDTV :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Perhaps it was the hairstyle, but Gary Kirsten always seemed a little older than he was. Then again, it might just be that he became so established at the top of the batting order that it's almost impossible to think how South Africa will cope without him. It's probably fair to say that Kirsten was never blessed with the flair and the almost pure technique of his half-brother Peter. But when it comes to determination, the ability to concentrate for long periods and a burning desire to score runs, there was little to choose between them. A left-hander with a relatively unique technique, Kirsten simply worked out his strengths and weaknesses and based his game around them. In this respect he was probably the most organised batsman to play for South Africa since their readmission. Calm and level-headed, he brought a healthy degree of common sense to the art of batting, which possibly explains why off the field and in the dressing room the dafter side of his personality came out. Periodically, Kirsten endured patches when he persistently got out in similar fashion - chopping the ball on to his stumps, for instance, or getting himself caught down the leg side. Each time this happened, though, Kirsten worked through the problem, made the adjustments and played himself back into form. He enjoyed particular success on the sub-continent - where other players have floundered against the turning ball. Kirsten, though, was drawn on patience and soft hands to see him through. And if there was any player likely to score a big hundred, then it was Kirsten. He currently shares the South African individual Test record of 275 with Daryll Cullinan, but by rights the record should be his alone. After batting for over 14 and a half hours as South Africa followed on against England at Kingsmead in 1999-00, Kirsten contrived to get himself bowled by Mark Butcher. It was only Butcher's second Test wicket. He then returned to haunt England in 2003 and gutsed out a crucial 130 in the Headingley Test, which South Africa won by 191 runs. His good form in that series persuaded him to postpone his retirement until the end of the New Zealand tour in 2003-04. Fittingly, he scored a century in the first Test of that series - his 99th - and scored a typically gritty 76 in his final game to help South Africa tie the series. Peter Robinson - cricinfo

But absolutely zilch experience. Some clinic with Zimbabwe and his own coaching school apparently. We do need someone with a bit of experience in coaching and guiding youngsters Apparently he was approached hence wasnt on the list. BCCI really wanted the guy. I read somewhere him saying how impressed he was that he was actually wanted and approached and didnt apply. Fine player yes...but surely we can do better. Heck were doing fine without a coach, so we can afford to wait until the right one comes along This guy was interviewed by Sunny Shastri etc so lets hope hes the bogs dollocks

I think he does not even hav exp of sachin :confused_smile:he is surely junior to sachin and few other senior players in india ....... its not d way forward for indian cricket only adv he has is he is young comparedd to other coaches but tis wil another NEVER ENDING debate in india agian....... hope to does his job well if he is chosen ..

But absolutely zilch experience. Some clinic with Zimbabwe and his own coaching school apparently. We do need someone with a bit of experience in coaching and guiding youngsters Apparently he was approached hence wasnt on the list. BCCI really wanted the guy. I read somewhere him saying how impressed he was that he was actually wanted and approached and didnt apply. Fine player yes...but surely we can do better. Heck were doing fine without a coach, so we can afford to wait until the right one comes along This guy was interviewed by Sunny Shastri etc so lets hope hes the bogs dollocks
This is the only point that is bugging me: he doesn't have any experience of coaching at all, leave aside having experience at the international level. And I wonder how he pipped Wessels who too was in the list of applicants and got interviewed too. But let us hope for India's sake that he turns out to be a good coach!
I think he does not even hav exp of sachin :confused_smile:he is surely junior to sachin and few other senior players in india ....... its not d way forward for indian cricket only adv he has is he is young comparedd to other coaches but tis wil another NEVER ENDING debate in india agian....... hope to does his job well if he is chosen ..
Tell me ONE cricketer who has the experience of Sachin I donno if Kirsten will be a good coach but u can't pick coaches by "superstar" value think abt John Wright when he became coach ...