Gary Kirsten maybe India's new coach

Guest Hiten.

offer such a salary to buchanan that he can't refuse...but get him to do the coaching job for india.. surprisingly Lalu is now deputy coach.. No no..its not our Lalu yadav of Bihar... Lalu..( Lal chand Rajout).. it seems he has been rewarded for his fine job..although i don't know what are the responsibilities of a manager in a cricket team.. but he has been the coach of under 19 team...for 2-3 years i think..? and some good news as well.. Robin singh and Venky have been retained as fielding and bowling coach ... physio and trainer will be appointed after consulting Guru Gary..:D

Shastri, Gavaskar zeroed in on Gary TNN MUMBAI, November 27: The Indian cricket board's selection panel interviewed South African Gary Kirsten on Monday night. It is learnt that for the first time since Indian cricket turned to a foreigner as coach seven years ago, the entire process was conducted by the BCCI officials. So far a group of senior players would conduct the background research and come up with a name for the job. This was the pattern followed in the case of both John Wright and Greg Chappell, but after the bitter Graham Ford experience, the Board decided to change tactics. This time around, it was former captains Shastri and Gavaskar who were entrusted with the task of getting the name finalised. It was the duo who zeroed in on Kirsten a fortnight ago. Then the coach selection panel decided to meet the candidate during the Indo-Pak Test in Delhi. The Board's office-bearers will now meet on December 1 in Kolkata to make a formal announcement on Kirsten. The 40-year-old Kirsten's emergence as a front-runner for the post came as a surprise as he did not figure in the original list of applicants, nor does he have any coaching experience with an international side. But Kirsten's work as High Performance Manager with Cricket South Africa (CSA) and his recent experience as batting consultant of the Zimbabwe team has drawn huge praise. Kirsten has even worked as batting coach for the senior South African side and possesses Level 3 coaching certificate. Ever since Chappell's exit, India have relied on cricket managers in Ravi Shastri, Chandu Borde and Lalchand Rajput as a stop-gap arrangement. http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Shastri_Gavaskar_zeroed_in_on_Gary/articleshow/2576464.cms

Kirsten has agreed in principle to take over job: BCCI PTI NEW DELHI, November 27: The BCCI is planning to offer a two-year contract to former South African opener Gary Kirsten who has "agreed in principle" to take over as the coach of the Indian cricket team. BCCI Secretary Niranjan Shah said on Tuesday that the coach selection committee was satisfied with Kirsten's presentation and the BCCI will work out the details before making a formal announcement. "The coach selection committee was satisfied with him. Kirsten has agreed in principle to take over as the coach of the Indian cricket team," Shah said. Shah said the BCCI would initially offer a two-year contract to the former South African cricketer. "We will offer him a two-year contract if he takes up the job. We will work out all the details", he said. India has been without a coach for close to eight months ever since Greg Chappell's controversial resignation following the team's World Cup fiasco in the West Indies. The BCCI has relied on cricket managers in Ravi Shastri, Chandu Borde and Lalchand Rajput as a stop-gap arrangement. Apart from the members of the coach selection panel, BCCI President Sharad Pawar and captain Anil Kumble were present during the interview with Kirsten last night.

Kirsten not to go the 'Graham Ford way' Mumbai: The Indian cricket board is confident now that India's expected-to-be new coach Gary Kirsten would not go "Graham Ford way". (Ford seemed accepted the offer after his interview with BCCI but declined on reaching at his Kent county couple of months ago). "We have finalised the deal for two years and he would return very soon," the BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah insisted over the phone minutes before he left for Mumbai from Delhi on Tuesday morning. Gary Kirsten's wife Deborah refused to accept the congratulatory message when her comments were first sought by this correspondent. "It is too early to say anything at this point of time. I am already speaking to Gary on my land-line number", she said over her mobile from Cape Town. Perhaps Kirsten had maximum missed calls on his cell phone when he was returning home via SA312 Flight. He preferred to remain silent. After becoming father of a son (Joshua) four years ago, Kirsten had promised his wife that he would retire from the game. He fulfilled his promise. He has been running a cricket academy. "I've been privileged to learn about the game of cricket through my international experience with South Africa. I'd like to offer you an opportunity to improve your game through my programmes that range from entry level through to advanced skills, tailored to your needs", he has been telling to the entrants at his academy. Kirsten's rich cricket experience will be available to Indian team now. The 40-year-old Kirsten (he celebrated his 40th birthday last Friday) has played 101 Tests and 185 ODIs. He will be only three years older than India captain Anil Kumble on his first assignment as India coach on Australian tour. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/kirsten-not-to-go-the-graham-ford-way/28039-13.html

Gary Kirsten likely to be India's new coach New Delhi: The unending search for India's next cricket coach seems to be drawing an end finally with former South African batsman Gary Kirsten emerging as the front-runner to be the new coach. Kirsten met the Coach Selection Committee comprising of Sunil Gavaskar, Ravi Shastri and also BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah in New Delhi on Monday evening. Former Australian coach John Buchanan is also said to be in the reckoning, although Kirsten has emerged as the clear front-runner. Sources told CNN-IBN that Kirsten is likely to join as India coach from the 3rd Test versus Australia, till then Lalchand Rajput will be continuing in his capacity as cricket manager. A decision is expected to be announced after the BCCI office-bearers meeting in Kolkata on the 1st of December. The vice-president of the BCCI Rajeev Shukla said that Kirsten had been approached by the Coach Selection Committee after much thought. "The BCCI invited Gary Kirsten for an interview last evening in New Delhi where all the committee members were present and the Indian captain Anil Kumble was also been invited. They interviewed him and I think within a week all the formalities would be completed and a name would be announced," said Shukla. The BCCI president had promised that there will be a new coach by the end of the year before the Australia tour. The name will be announced within a week. Kirsten who made his debut in 1993 against Australia, had the reputation of being a sturdy batsman in both Tests as well as One-Dayers. The former South African opener played 101 Tests compiling 7289 runs at a healthy average of 45.27. Kirsten also scored 6798 runs in the 185 ODIs that he played. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/gary-kirsten-emerges-frontrunner-for-the-coachs-job/28038-13.html

Guest HariSampath

This sucks big time. I wish Krish Srikkanth is made coach. After all, he had played in the same 11 along with Sachin, Ganguly, Kumble etc, and had been India U-19 coach as well as India A coach. He knows the ways of Indian cricketers, is young enough at 46, and has played cricket for India since GR Vishwanath, Gavaskar days. In fact he should have taken over after Gaekwad in 1999, and was very strongly tipped as the fronrunner, and again after Kapil Dev's tenure too. Maybe I should start a thread discussing his merits for the job if he were considered, but BCCI has probably decided