The fight...

Zelig

heroes have to be homegrown otherwise following will be limited like Hollywood and tennis stars in india... pretty sad that it has to come to this considering the history of Louis-Marciano,liston-clay,ali-frazier,ali-foreman,holmes-spinks,tyson-holyfield,lewis klitschko has a title fight with American Bryant Jennings on april 25 BTW. Even 15 years ago that would have been the talk of the town.

Mayweather-Pacquiao tickets sell out in less than one minute :ohmy: Tickets for the long-awaited fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao sold out in less than a minute on Thursday afternoon. Only 500 tickets were said to be made available for purchase at noon Pacific time through two Ticketmaster points of sale: online and by phone. No tickets were made available at the MGM Grand Garden Arena box office. The face value for tickets to the 2 May showdown ranged from $10,000, $7,500, $5,000, $3,500, $2,500 to $1,500, though none of the $10,000 tickets were said to be publicly available. http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/apr/23/mayweather-pacquiao-tickets-sell-out-in-less-than-one-minute

Mayweather won. It was not a great fight. Manny didn't have answers to Money's defensive wizardry. They had to delay the fight by an hour as the cable companies in U.S. had to make arrangements to accommodate last minute PPV buys. The PPV revenue alone is $400 millions which is more than the GDP of 29 countries.

It was funny when asked Manny of what he thought of the fight and he said "I thought I won." I agree with him. Boxing is such farce. You can not really make it out who is getting more hits. The scorecard wasn't shown until round 3-4. The points beint distributed as 9 and 10 in every freaking round, does not really make sense. Also Maywhether was running around like Mogli of jungle book, instead of attacking. Manny, albeat not at his best, was as perhaps the winner. Honestly, I did not see many punches landed on Manny from Mayweather. They need to come up with better scoring system or this Boxing will die.

It was funny when asked Manny of what he thought of the fight and he said "I thought I won." I agree with him. Boxing is such farce. You can not really make it out who is getting more hits. The scorecard wasn't shown until round 3-4. The points beint distributed as 9 and 10 in every freaking round, does not really make sense. Also Maywhether was running around like Mogli of jungle book, instead of attacking. Manny, albeat not at his best, was as perhaps the winner. Honestly, I did not see many punches landed on Manny from Mayweather. They need to come up with better scoring system or this Boxing will die.
True I don't understand the scoring system in boxing. Even in Olympics/CWG/Asian Games it is a farce. This match was so underwhelming, MMA trumps boxing as far as entertainment value is concerned.

It was funny when asked Manny of what he thought of the fight and he said "I thought I won." I agree with him. Boxing is such farce. You can not really make it out who is getting more hits. The scorecard wasn't shown until round 3-4. The points beint distributed as 9 and 10 in every freaking round, does not really make sense. .
True. Only reason why many people including me were tuned in was the hype due to the amount of money being offered to both.

Don't watch alot of boxing or Mayweather but did see a bit of them recently on youtube during build up. Anyways I was amazed by how easy Mayweather made an ATG look. And reading analysis it seemed it was a bit closer than I thought but overall comfortable enough. Seems like everyone knew this is exactly how mayweather will fight, like Chelsea doing what it takes to win and countering. Yet no one has an answer and if they do he adapts in fight despite the fact it takes months to prepare/plan for one! Champion quality. Anyways stuff Im reading from analysis from everywhere is interesting: Manny an ATG offensive fighter hit him with 1/5 punches thrown. Amazing how much he made him miss. Kept distance, jabbed, used straight right and put Manny off his game. Manny usually is the one dictating tempo, but Mayweather is the one dictaing tempo in every one of his fights even if it was against an ATG. The fight was a typical Mayweather fight, not a typical Manny fight! He is that good he made an ATG fighter fight his fight which is the Chelsea style. Manny who got hit with only 23% of puches thrown at him in his last 3 fights was hit with 35% by Mayweather, about the same he landed on previous opponents. Rounds where Manny took no real risks and nothing much happened were all Mayweather rounds due to him constantly using jab and straight right to score from distance. Real smart how he stole rounds, slowed tempo down to make it his usual typical fight. Manny's strategy was to get Mayweather on ropes. Yet in 4th round when he rocked him, got him on the ropes then went through with the salvo Mayweather blocked all to head and got hit only a few times on body. Later on he either cliched, when on ropes, or doged and moved away. In the middle used his reach to put Manny off by continuously jabbing and using straight right. Mayweather changes style for opponents, adapts in game too, Manny is always the same, not has hard to prepare for I suppose. Also seems like Mayweather has taken hard hits before and recovered easily! So not only is his defense the GOAT, even if he is caught he has that granite chin. The interviewer was correct Mayweather won. So that's the analysis I was reading. Also that Mayweather has never even been knocked down in 2 decades! How can a guy go up against elite level fighters like Pac, make them fight his fight, make it look easy, take no punishment and maintain this for 20 years! Has any sportsman made it look this easy?! :omg: Mayweather has to be among the greatest ever athlete's. Imagine if you told 16 year old Mayweather he would be undefeated for 20 years, dominate all opponents, not take punishment, be healthy, come out with half a billion $ and potential for alot more...that must have taken some serious amount of hardwork, intelligence and talent. Up there with SRT, CR7 etc :nice: Deserves everything he achieved. :nice: So many people wanted to see him lose so pressure was there too. Official stats below: 35d6fif.jpg

Funnily Mayweather-Manny reminded me of Carlsen-Anand :cantstop:
In a way chess and boxing are similar, in a way they are not. See CR7, Messi can have a bad day, bad season by their standards and there's a next time. Nadal can get thrashed by Djoker on one surface one year and vice versa the next year on same surface. Chess and boxing are different. In a chess match with 12 long games the better man always wins. Even in boxing Floyd is proof the better boxer always wins. Usually big upsets always have reasons behind them like under preparation or overconfidence. So when Carlsen easily beats Anand no one wants to see rematch cause unlike Tennis if someone is beaten that easily it will likely happen again. Yet in chess you can win candidates the following year and get a rematch, Carlsen cannot deny the match to remain world champion. But in boxing Mayweather has comfortably beaten Pac and there is no point of rematch, so there won't be one either...

The size difference was just too big and Floyd kept him at the end of his jab, easily winning most rounds. If the ring size was about one-fourth of the current, Floyd wouldn't be able to run away so much, and Pacquiao had a chance.

In a way chess and boxing are similar, in a way they are not. See CR7, Messi can have a bad day, bad season by their standards and there's a next time. Nadal can get thrashed by Djoker on one surface one year and vice versa the next year on same surface. Chess and boxing are different. In a chess match with 12 long games the better man always wins. Even in boxing Floyd is proof the better boxer always wins. Usually big upsets always have reasons behind them like under preparation or overconfidence. So when Carlsen easily beats Anand no one wants to see rematch cause unlike Tennis if someone is beaten that easily it will likely happen again. Yet in chess you can win candidates the following year and get a rematch, Carlsen cannot deny the match to remain world champion. But in boxing Mayweather has comfortably beaten Pac and there is no point of rematch, so there won't be one either...
You are absolutely right. In the world championship of chess the better man always wins, no questions of luck, no external influence like umpire/referee/pitch/weather etc. In earlier days you used to have matches having 24,48,... game matches, there the probability of an upset was even lesser, at least in 12 game matches there is a chance of the underdog getting into a hot streak/better preparation and causing an upset. But in boxing I believe home advantage/refereeing/judges have a big say. I never felt that boxing is a fair game. Sure Mayweather was the deserving victor yesterday but what if the margin is very less. In the Olympics/CWG/Asiads we saw so many controversial decisions.

10 points if you win a round, 9 points if you lose. Just the emotions over took Manny. Deep down he knew May won it hands down.

But in boxing I believe home advantage/refereeing/judges have a big say. I never felt that boxing is a fair game. Sure Mayweather was the deserving victor yesterday but what if the margin is very less. In the Olympics/CWG/Asiads we saw so many controversial decisions.
Watch Pac vs Bradley I. That was one of the biggest screw jobs ever. If it was a close fight the refs in Nevada would have given it to Pac, the more aggressive of the two fighters. Texas refs would judge differently. If they end up with equal points, the in ring ref will decide. Wish this fight had happened five years back. May would have still won it but it would have been close.

Not always, in Boxing certain boxers always have a punchers chance of a knockout. Look at Lewis vs Rahman, Rahman knocked out Lewis but Lewis was by far the better boxer and totally dominated in the rematch.

Mayweather is a defensive boxer who hasn't had a knockout for many years, Pacquiao also hasn't KO'd anyone for a number of years so it was never going to be a slug fest. These running away type boxers are always frustrating to watch. Even if you watch some of Ali's first few fights it's boring to watch because all he does is get a few shots in and then run away.

10 points if you win a round, 9 points if you lose. Just the emotions over took Manny. Deep down he knew May won it hands down.
Honestly, none of us are expert on this game, especially me, who would rate or predict better in some other sport, but having watched decent boxing, I think this boxign system is stil farce. Pick this situation - A game contiues for 12 rounds and scorecard is not known to a fan who is watching. Now imagine a mayweather-manny game which took place the other day in this situation. Even the most loyal fan of Maywhether would feel that he is not sure who has won since a.) there is no score update b.) maywhether ran around much and was attacked a lot c.)Mayweather did not land many punches on Manny.