I hope people are watching Ishant Sharma bowling rubbish

fineleg

This thread is trolling of the highest quality. Even I was not impressed by him in his first test against BD but to troll away to glory when the guy bowled superbly on the third evening with the second new ball requires some talent by copy/pasting random snippets from cricinfo. The last time an Indian pacer picked up a 5 wicket haul in India was Balaji on the green top at Mohali against Pakistan in '05. And before that you would have to go back all the way to Srinath's heydays to see 5 wicket returns by Indian pacers (on a Mohali green top against NZ in '99 and against Pakistan in Calcutta the same year).

What really impressed me was the way he ran in and bowled when the pitch looked dead, Akmal/Faisal and Misbah were fully set yesterday and still looked threatening from time to time (in fact dismissing Faisal) on a fairly placid strip. It's one thing to run in hard and trouble the batsmen when a few wickets are down early, your team's well on top and the pitch is helpful. Or when the openers are walking out, the ball is new and hard and you're gunning for early wickets. It's a different thing entirely to still run in the same way, bend your back and keep testing the batsmen with figures of 0/75 in 18 overs. You can tell a lot about what a bowler's made of by the way he'll bowl when things aren't in his favour. Munaf, Zaheer and Harbhajan in such situations trundle in, bowl medium pace or spear it in at negative lines (in Bhaji's case). Ishant just kept giving it his all and attacking, and eventually reaped the rewards. That's a test bowler right there.

I liked the look of Ishant when i first saw in Bangladesh. As the match commentators themselves have been saying, he has all the basic ingredients - Pace, bounce, movement. That for a 19 year-old is quite new in international cricket. Of course, getting a 5 wicket haul doesnt mean he has come of age. I think he will struggle in Aus if he is selected in the team. However, as i keep saying, he is one for the future

He needs to put on some muscle. Develop leg strength, shoulder strength, stamina. Then he will be able to bowl longer spells at the same pace. What i like about him is his action - it's a good, fluid action which won't give him any back trouble in the future. Great prospect.

lets not get over enthusiastic. most of his wickets were tailenders
Which is great, because India have always been lousy at cleaning up the tail in overseas tests.
He needs to put on some muscle. Develop leg strength, shoulder strength, stamina. Then he will be able to bowl longer spells at the same pace. What i like about him is his action - it's a good, fluid action which won't give him any back trouble in the future. Great prospect. Which is great, because India have always been lousy at cleaning up the tail in overseas tests.
india also has the dubious distinction of having conceded the most no of extras in this test courtesy IS
This thread is trolling of the highest quality. Even I was not impressed by him in his first test against BD but to troll away to glory when the guy bowled superbly on the third evening with the second new ball requires some talent by copy/pasting random snippets from cricinfo. The last time an Indian pacer picked up a 5 wicket haul in India was Balaji on the green top at Mohali against Pakistan in '05. And before that you would have to go back all the way to Srinath's heydays to see 5 wicket returns by Indian pacers (on a Mohali green top against NZ in '99 and against Pakistan in Calcutta the same year).
Disagree with you shwetabh. Read the match thread to see how frustrated folks were watching Ishant Sharma bowl until he had this 'good spell'. When this thread was posted, he was well and truly bowling rubbish (cricinfo comments were pasted to show the day-3 spraying that he did, this thread was started when he bowled 7 overs on day-2. 7 overs and NOT ONE SINGLE BALL hitting the stumps, everything wide. Yes, you read that right - not one single ball on the stump line in 7 overs). Ishant Sharma was very erratic. The deliveries I posted from cricinfo were either in the same over - multiple deliveries in the same over that were being sprayed down the leg side, or wide outside the offstump etc. It was being sprayed around erratically. There would be a very good delivery, and the next one would again be sprayed. (these some good deliveries were on day-3....on day-2, pretty much no good deliveries at all). As I said, even though 4 out of his 5 wickets were tailenders, he has earned his ticket to be tried in one-off matches from time to time (reason being historically we have struggled to pick tailenders, so this trait is still something we need). He has a long, long way to go and needs to correct his spraying around. Needs to get the wickets of top order batsmen etc. Needs to stop bowling 4 balls and no balls in every over or every other over. In short a long way to go, hopefully he will get there - but we'll evaluate that in a couple of years later.
He has a long, long way to go and needs to correct his spraying around. Needs to get the wickets of top order batsmen etc. Needs to stop bowling 4 balls and no balls in every over or every other over. In short a long way to go, hopefully he will get there - but we'll evaluate that in a couple of years later.
After the way you were writing him off in only his second ever test, I am now suprised to see you suggesting that he might still be around in a couple of years. :two_thumbs_up: Anyway, hope he loses the mullet.
Disagree with you shwetabh. Read the match thread to see how frustrated folks were watching Ishant Sharma bowl until he had this 'good spell'. When this thread was posted, he was well and truly bowling rubbish (cricinfo comments were pasted to show the day-3 spraying that he did, this thread was started when he bowled 7 overs on day-2. 7 overs and NOT ONE SINGLE BALL hitting the stumps, everything wide. Yes, you read that right - not one single ball on the stump line in 7 overs).
I am not even talking about the spell in which he took those 5 wickets, haven't even seen it yet. I am referring to the one he bowled with the second new ball and for every thud on the pad all I see here is quote from cricinfo commentary about some four byes he gave away. A rookie in his second test cannot have McGrath like accuracy. He bowled some really good deliveries in that spell, had some plumb decisions denied and all I see here is some wide down the leg side. I am also not saying that he will turn out to be some savior of Indian cricket but having prejudices is not the best idea. A good spell should be appreciated for what it was, IMO.
I am not even talking about the spell in which he took those 5 wickets' date=' haven't even seen it yet. I am referring to the one he bowled with the second new ball and for every thud on the pad all I see here is quote from cricinfo commentary about some four byes he gave away. A rookie in his second test cannot have McGrath like accuracy. He bowled some really good deliveries in that spell, had some plumb decisions denied and all I see here is some wide down the leg side. I am also not saying that he will turn out to be some savior of Indian cricket but having prejudices is not the best idea. A good spell should be appreciated for what it was, IMO.[/quote'] Fair enough. But as I mentioned to MM before, I was not expecting McG like accuracy nor hattricks from him. But his wayward bowling esp on day-2 (when i opened this thread) was very frustrating. This was not some great accuracy that was expected, only decent bowling for Test standard...but it was really pathetic. Actually I dont know if you watched his bowling on day-2 - the 7 overs he bowled with brand new ball at beginning of Inn when Pak openers were tired and unsettled after fielding for 2 days. Did you watch that? If not, I suggest you watch it if you get a chance. You'll see what i'm talking abt (and what others who have posted here and in match thread were ranting about). Tired pak openers whom we wanted to get out cheaply, and new ball but it was indeed wasted. ( i guess frustration was not just for me... i did open the thread, but u had ppl swearing in match threads on both day-2 and 3 until he picked up and bowled well - except for some like MM who were backing I.S.)