Review of strategy ?

Ram

All along, i was wanting Ind to bat out most of the day, allow its batsman to find more form. But seeing the pitch behave this morning , I am tempted to think we have a realistic chance of winning this match, if have around 65-70 overs to bowl Pak out. Already 8 overs have passed. That is 82 overs left for the day, 2 overs for the changeover, which makes it 80. Me thinks we should bat till lunch, try to score as much as we can and give them a 320 target in 60 overs. Thoughts ?

Yea its lunch on day 5 with a lead of 310 ... I cant see Pakistan getting 311 in 64 overs without risking getting bowled out ... Kumble should make India bat for 1 ball (just because it would be funny to see all the Pakistanis run out there) after lunch and then declare. The benefit of declaring now is that Pakistan can not afford to not go for the 311 in 64 overs, so they must go after our bowlers. This would require them to score at nearly 5 an over.

Yup time to declare. I have a strange feeling India will not. Remember the last test against England in England? They didn't want to enforce follow on and I remember that decision was a collective one. The same players are involved this time around too and I don't expect India to declare. I think India will look to bat Pakistan out of the game completely without given them a whiff of a chance.