What a scaredy-cat Virender Sehwag is !

fineleg

No doubt Sehwag didn't deserve a place on current form. But Gambhir at the moment is not even as good as Sehwag at his worst. I would have preferred Chopra, but in any case since Chopra hadn't played for 3 years (internationals) it would have been a lot to ask of him to play his first International in 3 years against Australia in Australia. He probably would have been the safer bet anyway. Parthiv Patel was another option, but he falls into the Chopra category. Badrinath is not an opener anyway. Regardless, I am almost 100% certain this was Kumble's decision more than anyone else's. Kumble for this tour, like Dravid for the World Cup, specifically asked for Sehwag on this tour, and say what you want about him, the bloke does rise for the big games. Hopefully this series is no different.
So performing in the last 6-7 months or not performing means nothing? Whats his average in 4-day matches in the last 6 months? Has he done anything like centuries recently? Any big innings? We really are relying on the things he did in 2003-4 tour! I am not saying whether he will score or not in Aus. No one knows that. However it is unfair selection process. Thats what I'm talking about here.
If you think Sehwag "chickened out"' date=' because of fear of failing against a ranji side.... do you think he would be happy to play Aussie bowlers down under ? If your logic is true : that is "Sehwag is afraid of facing ranji bowlers"..how then can you be proved wrong, as it is an opnion of yours. The answer is if he refuses to open for India, you may be right. But obviously he is rearing to go against the Aussies, and will most probably open against Lee, Johnson and co...so what do you say ?[/quote'] Hari, No one is going to "refuse" an Indian team spot! This selection process is unfair to people who are working hard and proving themselves in domestics, when Sehwag can walk in EVEN THOUGH he has NOT done ANYTHING in the last 6-7 months in Tests, 4-day matches... Is this selection process fair ?
Guest HariSampath
Hari, No one is going to "refuse" an Indian team spot! This selection process is unfair to people who are working hard and proving themselves in domestics, when Sehwag can walk in EVEN THOUGH he has NOT done ANYTHING in the last 6-7 months in Tests, 4-day matches... Is this selection process fair ?
Quite fair. For reasons "why previous international performance and class is given priority over 2 players present domestic scores"...see the OP of the Sehwag thread, I had already explained the reasons there, and that EXACTLY is what the Test captain, Chairman of selectors and senior team members felt too.
Guest HariSampath

The logic seems to be how much these domestic performances mean....as this same Akash Chopra had earlier too played 10 tests after such big ranji performances, but failed miserably in tets. So did Gambhir in the past against quality sides, and even now against Pakistan...so the Vengsarkar/Kumble thinking seemed to be " better a Sehwag who has proved countless times in the test arena for many years that he is a potential matchwinner, even if he is not in great form now....rather than someone who has been a proven failure and no real international status and not certainly potential matchwinners"

The logic seems to be how much these domestic performances mean....as this same Akash Chopra had earlier too played 10 tests after such big ranji performances' date=' but failed miserably in tets. So did Gambhir in the past against quality sides, and even now against Pakistan...so the Vengsarkar/Kumble thinking seemed to be " better a Sehwag who has proved countless times in the test arena for many years that he is a potential matchwinner, even if he is not in great form now....rather than someone who has been a proven failure and no real international status and not certainly potential matchwinners"[/quote'] 1. I dont think Akash Chopra is a "miserable failure". Why do you say so? He had a role and he did that well. Chopra had a good Aus and Pak series. When Aus toured India, he failed once or twice and they got rid of him. 2. Sehwag need not be in great form. But is he even in "some form"? He has been averaging in teens (mid teens?) recently in longer version of the game (4 day types).
So performing in the last 6-7 months or not performing means nothing? Whats his average in 4-day matches in the last 6 months? Has he done anything like centuries recently? Any big innings? We really are relying on the things he did in 2003-4 tour! I am not saying whether he will score or not in Aus. No one knows that. However it is unfair selection process. Thats what I'm talking about here.
I am not saying that the selection process was fair. I am saying that I am pretty sure that this was Kumble's request (or demand rather) more so than the selectors, since Sehwag was not in the squad of 24 probables. I have no problem with a captain requesting certain players in their squad because they are the ones to be captaining the squad. I would rather see this sort of thing happen than see a situation like the '99/00 tour where Sachin was stuck with a team he didnt really want, and the selectors didnt select the players he wanted. Kumble obviously felt that the Sehwag risk was a risk worth taking. Its not fair to Chopra, and I never said it was, however I am all for captains having a major say in the make-up of a team, since they are the ones responsible for the team's performance. My guess is that when you select Sehwag, just the mention of his name will put pressure on the Aussie bowlers ... so in addition to having plans for Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman, Yuvraj ... they have added 1 more big gun (and yes I know I am relying on past performance a bit, but his Test form wasn't that bad before he got dropped) to the equation. Thats more for the Australian bowlers to think about.

Akash Chopra scored more in the first innings of the last Ranji match than Sehwag has scored in all his Ranji outings this season. Parthiv Patel exceeded his sum total of runs almost 90% of the time he walked out to bat. In any case, how is Sehwag a certainty for the Boxing day test? Even if you drop KKD, SRT and MSD come back. Jaffer cannot be dropped. That leaves five batting slots to be filled by SRT, SG, RD, VVSL, YS, VS. Among these guys, given that all of them are very good players, current form should prevail ... Veeru should not even be allowed close to the playing XI. It was silly to pencil himself in at No7 .. I can understand No4 in I1, but No7!! He was clearly afraid of getting out .. not afraid of the bowlers .. but afraid of failure before an important selection decision. It is not inconceivable that someone could have had a quiet word with him that he is in with a chance and he just tried to do everything to avoid embarrassing himself further.

Guest HariSampath
1. I dont think Akash Chopra is a "miserable failure". Why do you say so? He had a role and he did that well. Chopra had a good Aus and Pak series. When Aus toured India, he failed once or twice and they got rid of him. 2. Sehwag need not be in great form. But is he even in "some form"? He has been averaging in teens (mid teens?) recently in longer version of the game (4 day types).
Both these points have been dealt with. Who told you Chopra had a special "role" etc...It was because Sehwag was playing very aggressively and Chopra just stone walled. As to Sehwag's "failure".... that is avg of 36 in 13 inngs and Chopra's "success"... avg 23 in 10 tests and avg 23 in Aus series down under...both myths have been destroyed
And' date=' I am sure he has played at No 7 several times for Delhi.[/quote'] Firstly, only 3 wickets fell and secondly there could have been any number of reasons for it most likely being that he was off the field for some part towards the end of Maharashtra's innings and since the 3rd Delhi wicket fell in 7 overs could not have come out to bat.

Sehwag batted in the middle order to shield himself from the deadly new ball attack of Sayyed & Fallah:cantstop: He was desperate to score runs, even a half century would have been great for his confidence and he felt he had a better chance of scoring if he batted in the middle order. But he failed as usual, and got rewarded for his failure by getting selected for the Aus tour.

MM, If I am pissed with players for chickening out, I will express it. I dont abuse other forum members as long as they dont personally abuse me. Thats the thing I refrain from. I will not refrain from expressing appreciation or disgust about public personalities. In this case Sehwag chickened out in a really pathetic manner and he deserves all the brickbats.
Appreciation as well as criticism can be done without calling names. Why do you think that you won't be able to express your disgust without calling them such things?
Fineleg, What did Ganguly do after being dropped and how was his form before he was called back? Same goes with Laxman. What were his scores in Ranji just before the Kotla test. One more thing--please check how many times Sehwag has opened for Delhi in Ranji. Selection process is unfair? Could be! But these are right selections. Ganguly has made the best ever comeback, Laxman had a successful series vs Pak and Sehwag, despite having never opened before even in Ranjis, has been our most successful opener after Gavaskar.