Bahubali : India's Biggest Motion Picture

Kalia_Test

You should also read what my posts were a reaction against - blind prejudiced views, posting only negative reviews, trying to derail thread by posting hollywood movies, passing comments on a film boasting stunning visuals by seeing it in a cam-ripped torrent. It is not my fault that your Gujarat language film industry is non-existent. I am all for subsidizing little-known language films if it betters Indian film Industry. Whether you like it or not - Bahubali is the biggest grosser ever as on date - For every 2 people who disliked it, 98 people liked it. Now, using your own logic, I feel you are a paid promoter of Bajrangi Bhaijaan and also a seller of Mughal-E-Azam DVDs :P Cuts both ways :two_thumbs_up:
Again trying to make it a Telugu vs. others issue :hysterical: As I said, prominent Gujarati actors/film makers are part of Bollywood which makes films in a language that is understood by majority of Indians. In case you did not know ----> Manmohan Desai, Sanjeev Kumar, the Bhatts, Dimple Kapadia, Jackie Shorff, Himesh, Paresh Rawal, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Vipul Shah, Anees Bazmee, .... (sorry to expose your ignorance :P ) Once again I posted my review on the film irrespective of the region it is made :winky: Below is my review on Happy New Year, but I guess I am against Bollywood in your opinion :haha:
An amateurish attempt by some of the veterans of Bollywood One of the most amateurishly made big budget movies from Bollywood. The film makers spent close to an hour or so on introducing various characters and building the story up. Even a sleek 90-120 minutes film would manage to have a few holes so imagine devoting an hour to this introduction and story build up exercise would have how many holes. Let's examine the first hour: a) SRK is wrestling. May be Farah was inspired by how Sajid introduced Ajay Devgan in Himmatwala. SRK has been paid to lose the fight, however (surprise surprise) he wins the fight. Not to mention that the entire fight sequence induces a big yawn and it has nothing that you haven't seen before. In this sequence SRK looked like one of the martial arts teachers in old Jackie Chan films. Note the film has just started. b) Sood is a bomb expert who now provides services to films. As you would expect, he messes up a shot and gets fired in another "yawn" inducing sequence. Sood has problems in listening to people just 2-3 feet away, however he can listen to SRK clearly even when SRK is several feet away. Some would call it cinematic convenience. You feel for Sood here as he is one of the actors who looks to give his best in the films he works in. c) Boman speaks in a weird version of Parsi accent. He plays a 50 years old whose mother reminds him to keep clean and visit the washroom before going to bed. How many of us would find such sequences interesting? May be the 12 years old and younger crowd. Appears as if Boman played this role in this way to seek vendetta on the film makers. But what about the audience, Boman? d) A hacker who has tons of Facebook friends but no real friends. In his intro, he hacks the DJ system to vent his frustrations and is thrown out of the club. And this paves way to another fight sequence with scenes that are supposed to make you laugh but instead forces your head to shake in disagreement at the poor attempt. Another great piece of entertainment? e) In the interest of brevity, I am skipping the other intros. And then there is babble about how to steal the diamonds to take revenge. The most interesting part in the first hour was when the classic "Mera Pyar Shalimar" song was played in the background. That took me back to some happy memories about some of the classic songs from that film including "Hum Bewafa", "1-2-Cha-Cha-Cha", etc. Re- visiting "Shalimar" would have been a better idea. Is there a point in describing the rest of the film? There are better ways to rehash old Hollywood and Bollywood movies. Even the TV series which have much less budget devoted to them appear to be more intelligently and professionally made. For most parts, one would wonder what drove these people to make such a film. In the recent past, Bollywood film lovers have flocked in to cinemas based on star appeal. And the result has been a constant bombardment of such films in the name of "paise vasool" entertainment. Whether people like the film or not, the money spent on tickets will count towards its revenues. The film-makers will happily claim an INR 100+ crores film. And the cycle continues. We have only ourselves to blame for encouraging such attempts and the stagnation of creativity and innovation in Bollywood.
Grow up!

Again trying to make it a Telugu vs. other issue :hysterical: Once again I posted my review on the film irrespective of the region it is made :winky: Below is my review on Happy New Year, but I guess I am against Bollywood in your opinion :haha:
An amateurish attempt by some of the veterans of Bollywood One of the most amateurishly made big budget movies from Bollywood. The film makers spent close to an hour or so on introducing various characters and building the story up. Even a sleek 90-120 minutes film would manage to have a few holes so imagine devoting an hour to this introduction and story build up exercise would have how many holes. Let's examine the first hour: a) SRK is wrestling. May be Farah was inspired by how Sajid introduced Ajay Devgan in Himmatwala. SRK has been paid to lose the fight, however (surprise surprise) he wins the fight. Not to mention that the entire fight sequence induces a big yawn and it has nothing that you haven't seen before. In this sequence SRK looked like one of the martial arts teachers in old Jackie Chan films. Note the film has just started. b) Sood is a bomb expert who now provides services to films. As you would expect, he messes up a shot and gets fired in another "yawn" inducing sequence. Sood has problems in listening to people just 2-3 feet away, however he can listen to SRK clearly even when SRK is several feet away. Some would call it cinematic convenience. You feel for Sood here as he is one of the actors who looks to give his best in the films he works in. c) Boman speaks in a weird version of Parsi accent. He plays a 50 years old whose mother reminds him to keep clean and visit the washroom before going to bed. How many of us would find such sequences interesting? May be the 12 years old and younger crowd. Appears as if Boman played this role in this way to seek vendetta on the film makers. But what about the audience, Boman? d) A hacker who has tons of Facebook friends but no real friends. In his intro, he hacks the DJ system to vent his frustrations and is thrown out of the club. And this paves way to another fight sequence with scenes that are supposed to make you laugh but instead forces your head to shake in disagreement at the poor attempt. Another great piece of entertainment? e) In the interest of brevity, I am skipping the other intros. And then there is babble about how to steal the diamonds to take revenge. The most interesting part in the first hour was when the classic "Mera Pyar Shalimar" song was played in the background. That took me back to some happy memories about some of the classic songs from that film including "Hum Bewafa", "1-2-Cha-Cha-Cha", etc. Re- visiting "Shalimar" would have been a better idea. Is there a point in describing the rest of the film? There are better ways to rehash old Hollywood and Bollywood movies. Even the TV series which have much less budget devoted to them appear to be more intelligently and professionally made. For most parts, one would wonder what drove these people to make such a film. Audience ke chakke chudade yeh Happy New Year wale! Farah and SRK probably believe that people like the jokes they make at various award shows. Award shows have songs and dances too. Let's mix those and people are going to jump to see the film like how hungry dolphins would jump out of water to grab food! May be a film about revenge on Red Chilies Entertainment, along with Team Farah and Sajid, would have been a better idea. SRK hasn't had a truly magnificent film after 2007. He should sincerely thank his fans for keeping his boat floating since then. In the recent past, Bollywood film lovers have flocked in to cinemas based on star appeal. And the result has been a constant bombardment of such films in the name of "paise vasool" entertainment. Whether people like the film or not, the money spent on tickets will count towards its revenues. The film-makers will happily claim an INR 100+ crores film. And the cycle continues. We have only ourselves to blame for encouraging such attempts and the stagnation of creativity and innovation in Bollywood.
Grow up!
:confused: What does it prove? HNY was a bakwaas movie. So if I hammer Ramgopal Verma Aag and then blast Mughal-E-Azam, my credibility will improve as I have proof that I criticized a useless movie and am hence unbiased? Kids nowadays OMG... Any recommendations for good Gujrati movies with sub-titles as you seem to be an expert in world cinema or have all the Gujjus abandoned Gujrati language and migrated to Bollywood ? :P I will watch the movie you recommend and give my unbiased view by comparing it with Hollywood and Korean films :winky:

:confused: What does it prove? HNY was a bakwaas movie. So if I hammer Ramgopal Verma Aag and then blast Mughal-E-Azam, my credibility will improve as I have proof that I criticized a useless movie and am hence unbiased? Kids nowadays OMG... Any recommendations for good Gujrati movies with sub-titles as you seem to be an expert in world cinema or have all the Gujjus abandoned Gujrati language and migrated to Bollywood ? :P I will watch the movie you recommend and give my unbiased view by comparing it with Hollywood and Korean films :winky:
i searched for gujarati movies.. i find this hero everywhere lol He is like Rajinikanth of gujarati i suppose [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fntdQ3AjeM]Jode Rahejo Raaj, Title Song, Alka Yagnik, Praful Dave, Jode Rahejo Raaj - Gujarati Romantic Song - YouTube[/ame]

i searched for gujarati movies.. i find this hero everywhere lol He is like Rajinikanth of gujarati i suppose
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: No need for review - I can now understand Rett's pain :((

Lol Bahubali is an ordinary masala flick with good art direction. That's it. Not worth $20 movie ticket I don't watch Gujarati films. I guess, they are crap and supposed to be like TV serials. Major artists / film makers not only from Gujarat but from Maharashtra, Punjab, etc. work in Bollywood which makes film in the language majority of Indians understand (and almost all of Gujarat) .... Again shows your ignorance :cantstop:

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: No need for review - I can now understand Rett's pain :((
As I said, I don't know much about Gujarati films as top film makers make films in Bollywood .... the above looks like some 80s film. If it is recent, it is even more laughable .... And I will actually join you in laughing at such poor attempts at film making (whether Gujarati or which ever language) :hysterical:

Low budget movies can also rake in big money if you have the right ingredients and appeal. For instance Tamil movie Kanchana 2 was made with mere 17 crores.. but made 113 crores. In English best example is paranormal activity. Even you and i could make with that budget. 11,000 dollars. But it raked in 193 million dollar all over the world.

Low budget movies can also rake in big money if you have the right ingredients and appeal. For instance Tamil movie Kanchana 2 was made with mere 17 crores.. but made 113 crores. In English best example is paranormal activity. Even you and i could make with that budget. 11' date='000 dollars. But it raked in 193 million dollar all over the world.[/quote'] Agree which is why I feel the budget on Bahubali was not spent properly If you reference is towards Gujarati films, it is known more for its stage plays than films. All the major talent make films or works in Bollywood, which is an industry representing Gujarat as well, much like some of the other states .... Almost everyone in Gujarat speaks Hindi Some of the Gujarati film personalities in Bollywood include Manmohan Desai, Sanjeev Kumar, the Bhatts, Dimple Kapadia, Jackie Shorff, Himesh, Paresh Rawal, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Vipul Shah, Anees Bazmee, ... These people can make a good film on low budgets as well in any language. But the point is they would make it in Hindi as people in Gujarat understand Hindi (you will hardly find Gujarati films in any major cinemas. may be in the interiors) and making a film in Hindi gives the film makers a better ROI :winky:

Lol Bahubali is an ordinary masala flick with good art direction. That's it. Not worth $20 movie ticket I don't watch Gujarati films. I guess, they are crap and supposed to be like TV serials. Major artists / film makers not only from Gujarat but from Maharashtra, Punjab, etc. work in Bollywood which makes film in the language majority of Indians understand (and almost all of Gujarat) .... Again shows your ignorance :cantstop:
The question is WHY? Do they think their own languages ( Punjabi and Marathi are separate and beautiful languages from my knowledge - with some borrowings as usual in Indian languages - but not sure about Gujrati - maybe it is a dialect like Bhojpuri - not sure - I am ignorant :(( ) can't make money? Marathi film Industry is something I admire and same with Punjabi. Never ever heard of one Gujrati film. There are LOTS of South Indian producers/directors that make Hindi movies too - K Viswanath for example - BUT they make their own language films too. I am only asking for ONE Gujrati film that you recommend from say 70+ years of cinema so that I can review and give my unbiased comments. Just ONE? :dontknow:

LOL..you are showing off your ignorance here...Its just not art direction...to visualise such a battle scene and pull it off on the screen is a huge thing in Indian standards..Almost everyone is in awe of the battle scene...

The question is WHY? Do they think their own languages ( Punjabi and Marathi are separate and beautiful languages from my knowledge - with some borrowings as usual in Indian languages - but not sure about Gujrati - maybe it is a dialect like Bhojpuri - not sure - I am ignorant :(( ) can't make money? Marathi film Industry is something I admire and same with Punjabi. Never ever heard of one Gujrati film. There are LOTS of South Indian producers/directors that make Hindi movies too - K Viswanath for example - BUT they make their own language films too. I am only asking for ONE Gujrati film that you recommend from say 70+ years of cinema so that I can review and give my unbiased comments. Just ONE? :dontknow:
You are missing the point once again :haha: Let me try once more - Talented Gujarati film makers make films in Hindi because Hindi is understood by almost everyone in Gujarat and making films in Bollywood gives a better ROI (wider reach, no dubbing required, etc.) .... Let's not forget that making films in Bollywood means making films for most of the India So for example (for the reasons outlined above), a) if Manmohan Desai is making Amar Akbar Anthony, he would chose Bollywood for his grand project b) If Sanjay Leela Bhansali is making Hum Dil De Chuke Hai Sanam, he will make it in Hindi c) If Annes Bazmee is making No Entry, Welcome etc.,he will make it in Hindi d) If Ketan Metha is making Mangal Panday, he will make it in you guessed what e) e for etc including Indra Kumar, Sajid Nadiadwala, Farah Khan, Vipul Shah, Mahesh Bhatt, .... In short, for Gujarati film makers, making films in Bollywood = reaching Gujarat + almost whole of rest of India .... i.e. they make film for almost everyone in India :two_thumbs_up: No need to say that many of them are amongst the who's who of Bollywood and have contributed to making Bollywood the prime entertainment industry of India! :--D Now you think that Bahubali is some kind of an achievement for Telugu film industry while I think it is an ordinary masala film and with that as the background, you are asking me to recommend a Gujarati film when I already made the points above :rofl: Coming back to Gujarati films, as I said, I haven't seen too many of them as Bollywood is already the main industry for Gujarati (reasons already mentioned). The once that I have seen are from old video tapes that were in my home in India and they were basically masala films such as Bahubali And if a Gujarati film maker was spending money like what Telugu film industry did on Bahubali, he/she would make it in Hindi with some of the best stars in India (as I said they make films for almost everyone in India) Talking about the Hindi version of Bahubali, it has not broken any meaningful record in the Bollywood region except - "for a dubbed film" :winky: Anyways for you, I checked wiki and saw that there are many award winning Gujarati films which is a pleasant surprise for me .... One such award winning film is Bhavni Bhavai directed by Ketan Metha and staring Nasserudin Shah, Smita Patil, Om Puri, Mohan Gokhle and Benjamin Gilani. It was released in 1980. It is highly rated but I have not seen it so cannot recommend it personally. Below is the critical reception that it received:
The film (Bhavni Bhavai) was considered path-breaking for dark humour and satire. The film was also praised for then-novel technique of breaking the fourth wall.[6][7] New York Times described it as "Enhanced by interesting costumes and incisive dialogue, the fable combines comedy and social commentary as it moves through its classic tale."[8] Variety called it "A delightful didactic fable with sharp Brechtian influences that works on practically all levels." American film critic J. Hoberman called the movie "the finest film I saw in India" and described it as stunningly photographed and universally accessible.[9] Director Sudhir Mishra has said that Bhavni Bhavai was one of the films which had inspired him to take up filmmaking.
PS Other award winning films (but I have not seen them) are in the abstract from wiki:
Manvi ni Bhavai (1993) based on the novel of the same name by Pannalal Patel.[13][14] The film was widely appreciated and went to win the national award Little Zizou, a 2009 film in Hindi, Gujarati, and English, written and directed by Sooni Taraporevala won the "Silver Lotus Award" or "Rajat Kamal" in the National Film Award for Best Film on Family Welfare category at the 56th National Film Awards. Veer Hamirji (2012) was historical film which was short listed for Indian reperesntation at the Oscars.[22] The Good Road (2013), directed by Gyan Correa, won the Best Gujarati film at the 60th National Film Awards and was later became the first Gujarati film ever selected to represent India at the Oscars.[27][28] The film won the Best Feature Film Jury Award at the Indian Film Festival, Houston in October 2013.[29]
^ So it is remarkable that despite living under the shadows of Bollywood, Gujarati films have managed to win awards and even represent Ind at Oscars :dontknow:

LOL..you are showing off your ignorance here...Its just not art direction...to visualise such a battle scene and pull it off on the screen is a huge thing in Indian standards..Almost everyone is in awe of the battle scene...
The director visualized it by looking at a bunch of Hollywood films .... And he had the budget to pull it off .... So what's the big deal? ..... what about other factors of film making? :dontknow:

Oye... Rett. Give it a rest. Its a good film. Have to encourage such new ideas in Indian movies. Although its not as good as you expected' date=' still good enough for Indian fans. Its a beginning.[/quote'] I agree that "good" effort should be encouraged .... however, I am reviewing it from the claims of it being the best ever Indian film worth $20 a movie ticket .... now the claims are down to visuals only :P

Some more reviews:
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: You are pickinng up random comments from the internet as reviews. Author-Maniac from USA Rating-10/10 Bahubali is awesome......Greatest movie ever made There you go hope that neutralizes some of the reviews you picked up :cantstop:

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: You are pickinng up random comments from the internet as reviews. Author-Maniac from USA Rating-10/10 Bahubali is awesome......Greatest movie ever made There you go hope that neutralizes some of the reviews you picked up :cantstop:
:hysterical: