Hardik Pandya hit 39 in an over today in SMA T20 trohpy

sscomp32

But, in that 50+ avg, most of his runs came in the league stages. The relatively better attacks in the semis and finals were UP and Mumbai. Here, as you said, he probably got a start and didn't capitalize. And, let's not forget that pie-chuckers such as Dhawal Kulkarni won't be playing in the top international teams. The Starcs, Boults, etc. will be in business in general. Standard of bowling in IPL is also uneven.

These T20s in Oz will be a better indication of his abilities, albeit not a complete one.

T20 is a tough form of cricket. It brings different challenges. Some of the greatest cricketers werent the best t20 players. I dont think that practically but rationally, a promising rookie has more chances of early failures in t20s out of home conditions than in ODIs. He has potential but i am keeping my expectations. Even if he fails, i wont write him off because potential is there.

The main reason why many people are wanting Hardik Pandya is because he looks like a proper batsman who can consolidate when needed , hit big sixes and fours when needed and bowl as a decent bowler with reasonable accuracy at 130 k to 142 k .

We don't have anyone else in the country now who is so versatile.

Problem is ...if people start expecting him to perform like a superman from match 1. He has not played that much domestic cricket and needs some " teething time " in international cricket. Definitely one who needs to be given the long rope because of the versatility that he possesses.

Edited by express bowling

I did... I don't see him anywhere in the list of highest SRs. Scored 377 runs at a SR of 131, which is good but not that much higher than his overall SR as you imply. In fact, as per the highest SRs of this SMA, one would think that Nitish Rana and Negi are better suited.

The reason why Pandya has a good SR but not an exceptional one is because he is not a blind slogger but a proper batsman who can up the tempo when needed.

His role in the team has often been to build an innings and then go for the kill and he has not been used as a pinch hitter or a " cameo innings batsman " . He can hit big sixes in succession when needed.

Someone like Negi is used more as a slogger for a couple of overs. By the way, Negi is one who can be tried too, lower down the order.

The reason why Pandya has a good SR but not an exceptional one is because he is not a blind slogger but a proper batsman who can up the tempo when needed.

His role in the team has often been to build an innings and then go for the kill and he has not been used as a pinch hitter or a " cameo innings batsman " . He can hit big sixes in succession when needed.

Someone like Negi is used more as a slogger for a couple of overs. By the way, Negi is one who can be tried too, lower down the order.

Negi better hitter than jaddu.

I wont have jaddu in my t20 team. He is always thrashed.

Even if he is gud, u cnt expect him to come to Int. cricket and give u 10 overs straighaway.

If we have to play pandya, we need a 6th bolwer as well like raina, mann, or someone else

As Rkt said above....We are talking about Negi in this post...not Pandya.

He can really tonk the ball from the word go and bowls spin as well and can be a replacement for Jaddu if he can bowl well.

Every new player must be given " teething time " in international  cricket . We can't expect any of them to succeed from the word go.

This season, in the SMA trophy, there were "proper batsmen" who had higher SRs than Pandya whilst being consistent. Pappu, Iyer, Dogra, etc. to name a few. Now, I'm not saying that they should be playing for Ind or something.. well, actually I do think that Iyer should be playing in all 3 formats; Pappu can't be any worse than MSD in T20s either.

This season, in the SMA trophy, there were "proper batsmen" who had higher SRs than Pandya whilst being consistent. Pappu, Iyer, Dogra, etc. to name a few. Now, I'm not saying that they should be playing for Ind or something.. well, actually I do think that Iyer should be playing in all 3 formats; Pappu can't be any worse than MSD in T20s either.

We are looking for a proper batsman cum slogger cum fast bowler...and only Pandya fits that requirement in the list of successful batsmen in SMA trophy.

If there is someone even better than him then he has to be studied carefully to see whether he is the type to succeed in international cricket.

As you said...Iyer is such a batsman and I would take him in ODIs and T20s immediately.

We are looking for a proper batsman cum slogger cum fast bowler...and only Pandya fits that requirement in the list of successful batsmen in SMA trophy.

If there is someone even better than him then he has to be studied carefully to see whether he is the type to succeed in international cricket.

As you said...Iyer is such a batsman and I would take him in ODIs and T20s immediately.

I feel that Iyer merits a place even in Tests. Chepu & Vijay, Rahane, Kohli, Iyer, All-rounder, Keeper would be my preferred choice. Hard on Chepu to open, but Dhawan is too on-off. Alternatively, 6 batsmen could be played and the allrounder dropped (esp in India on turners).

As for alternatives to Pandya, I suppose that the hype is understandable given our real paucity of genuine all rounders. He's probably got some way to go esp in his bowling.

I feel that Iyer merits a place even in Tests. Chepu & Vijay, Rahane, Kohli, Iyer, All-rounder, Keeper would be my preferred choice. Hard on Chepu to open, but Dhawan is too on-off. Alternatively, 6 batsmen could be played and the allrounder dropped (esp in India on turners).

As for alternatives to Pandya, I suppose that the hype is understandable given our real paucity of genuine all rounders. He's probably got some way to go esp in his bowling.

I agree with your batting line-up in tests but very little chance it will practically happen unless Iyer proves himself big time in ODIs.

The biggest reason of fast-tracking  Pandya to the big stage is our complete paucity of batting all rounders.  He is still too raw and needs some more time to understand and develop his game. Now it has to happen in the international arena and the team management and selectors will hopefully understand this aspect.

I agree with your batting line-up in tests but very little chance it will practically happen unless Iyer proves himself big time in ODIs.

The biggest reason of fast-tracking  Pandya to the big stage is our complete paucity of batting all rounders.  He is still too raw and needs some more time to understand and develop his game. Now it has to happen in the international arena and the team management and selectors will hopefully understand this aspect.

I reckon that Iyer has already proved himself quite well in Ranjis. If he continues his good form, he can get to 1000 runs this season. His SR and avg allied together have been very good.

India has never been good at this aspect, or at giving players a long rope (apart from Nohit in ODIs and the static Ishant). On the other hand, I remember how long SL persisted with Attapattu - his career start was far worse than the likes of Nohit, etc. but he became a decent (if not good) bat for SL in home conditions.

I reckon that Iyer has already proved himself quite well in Ranjis. If he continues his good form, he can get to 1000 runs this season. His SR and avg allied together have been very good.

India has never been good at this aspect, or at giving players a long rope (apart from Nohit in ODIs and the static Ishant). On the other hand, I remember how long SL persisted with Attapattu - his career start was far worse than the likes of Nohit, etc. but he became a decent (if not good) bat for SL in home conditions.

In the last 15 years we are giving a long rope to most players who are thought to have international prospect.

Iyer too will get his chance...but in India a player is rarely introduced in tests first unless there is an up for grabs slot that needs to be filled.

In the last 15 years we are giving a long rope to most players who are thought to have international prospect.

Iyer too will get his chance...but in India a player is rarely introduced in tests first unless there is an up for grabs slot that needs to be filled.

Nohit's slot in Tests is up for grabs... or Dhawan's as well. Sadly, I don't think that the team management will think along these lines. But in ODIs, Iyer could be an asset, especially if he bats at 5 (could be better that Pandey there).

Nohit's slot in Tests is up for grabs... or Dhawan's as well. Sadly, I don't think that the team management will think along these lines. But in ODIs, Iyer could be an asset, especially if he bats at 5 (could be better that Pandey there).

3 out of Rahane, Pandey, Iyer and Shikhar should be played in ODIs top 5 ... based on playing conditions and form.  Kohli and Rohit are the fixed ones.

Rohit

Rahane / Dhawan

Kohli

Iyer / Rahane 

Pandey

Pandya

Big hitting WK

Jaddu / Negi

Ashwin / Ishant

Bumrah

Shami /  Ishant

would be a decent ODI  lineup

3 out of Rahane, Pandey, Iyer and Shikhar should be played in ODIs top 5 ... based on playing conditions and form.  Kohli and Rohit are the fixed ones.

Rohit

Rahane / Dhawan

Kohli

Iyer / Rahane 

Pandey

Pandya

Big hitting WK

Jaddu / Negi

Ashwin / Ishant

Bumrah

Shami /  Ishant

would be a decent ODI  lineup

Pandey hasn't cemented his place to the extent where it's indisputable. I'd say that I should be Iyer/Rahane and Pandey/Rahane, i.e. 2 out of these 3 should play at 4 and 5. I wouldn't make a call about Pandya at this stage either - we haven't seen enough of him yet. Big hitting keepers are a rarity in India - most of the front runners are Pappu, Naman Ojha, Saha and Karthik and all of them play better in the top and middle orders. Nikhil Naik may be one possibility, or one of 2 Bacchas - Pant and Kishan.

More realistically, with the present team the batting lineup will be: Rohit, Rahane/Dhawan, Kohli, 2 middle order bats (Iyer, Pandey and Rahane), Dhobi (unless he retires, he'll have to play somewhere), Jaddu.

Clearly, there are serious issues at 6 and 7, but don't expect the selectors to address them.

Pappu, iyer both openers.