RIO 2016 - Official Thread

sourab10forever

12 hours ago, Bigg Brother said:

Deepika had a tough draw against no.2 player..She was too good..

Her score was,

She flopped in the Qualification last Friday. She had a golden opportunity to finish among the top and play some easy opponents till SF and F. She can only blame herself for the loss.

5 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

She flopped in the Qualification last Friday. She had a golden opportunity to finish among the top and play some easy opponents till SF and F. She can only blame herself for the loss.

The mexican got huge advantage of it. Although she was obliterated in semis but due to finishing higher she got easy draw. 

2 minutes ago, sscomp32 said:

India has rotten luck. I know some events were our mistakes but some are just unlucky. Like 6th rank shiv thapa facing winner of last olympics because he changed weight class . Now Sania/bopanna has to face murray/watson :facepalm: 

Luck yeah, but the performances of some of our athletes has been below par. All our shooters except Bindra shooting below their own personal best. You just can't do that in an Olympics. 

And for Jitu, his hand trembled in the 10m Final. I mean, who is the guy who is training him. I knew even before he shot that he is going to shoot badly. 

2 minutes ago, sscomp32 said:

The mexican got huge advantage of it. Although she was obliterated in semis but due to finishing higher she got easy draw. 

And not to forget, Deepika in 2012 blamed the cold weather for her horrendous performance. An athlete doesn't come out with excuses like these after losing. It was just pathetic. At that time, she was World No 1.

2 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

And not to forget, Deepika in 2012 blamed the cold weather for her horrendous performance. An athlete doesn't come out with excuses like these after losing. It was just pathetic. At that time, she was World No 1.

Yeah i know but she was still a teenager than time. She was more mature this time and it showed in her performance. The round of 32 match was very good but she still wasn't happy. Just silly mistakes and she lost a great chance. Lets hope she does well in 4 years time. Also india needs to either train laxmi to be mentally stronger or replace her. She was the reason we lost team events by 1 point. And in singles event she just got crushed by the pressure. 

1 minute ago, sscomp32 said:

Yeah i know but she was still a teenager than time. She was more mature this time and it showed in her performance. The round of 32 match was very good but she still wasn't happy. Just silly mistakes and she lost a great chance. Lets hope she does well in 4 years time. Also india needs to either train laxmi to be mentally stronger or replace her. She was the reason we lost team events by 1 point. And in singles event she just got crushed by the pressure. 

I hope so. Normally Indian athletes improve from every Olympics. Hope, she stops complaining and plays at her best in 2020.

I also think it is time the Government steps in and starts promoting two or three sports where there is more talent coming through. This idea was mooted after our splendid performance in 2012, but of course did not happen because we were doing well in many disciplines if not winning medals.

Makes me remember what Harsha Bhogle said in an interview in 2012 about India's sporting legacy. Quote: "When 'jugaad' is part and parcel of your life, you can't pursue excellence!". 

1 minute ago, Adi_91 said:

I hope so. Normally Indian athletes improve from every Olympics. Hope, she stops complaining and plays at her best in 2020.

I also think it is time the Government steps in and starts promoting two or three sports where there is more talent coming through. This idea was mooted after our splendid performance in 2012, but of course did not happen because we were doing well in many disciplines if not winning medals.

Makes me remember what Harsha Bhogle said in an interview in 2012 about India's sporting legacy. Quote: "When 'jugaad' is part and parcel of your life, you can't pursue excellence!". 

True. We still live on jugaad except for cricket and hockey. See the situation of hockey after HIL started and everything is now done professionally. HIL is the no 1 hockey league in the world and the topmost players play in it. We are getting more good news from hockey and have started beating big teams and also dont get obliterated but go down fighting.  

1 minute ago, sscomp32 said:

True. We still live on jugaad except for cricket and hockey. See the situation of hockey after HIL started and everything is now done professionally. HIL is the no 1 hockey league in the world and the topmost players play in it. We are getting more good news from hockey and have started beating big teams and also dont get obliterated but go down fighting.  

True. Also the IPTL tennis crap that these players participate in, I wonder what professionalism alone can do, when you have politics between players.

Indian tennis is almost dead. We have only individuals now playing for their fun in Olympics now. No big talent also.

And it is not that tough, we can easily say that our core sports in Olympic games are Shooting, Badminton, Hockey and Wrestling. Now, if we can identify 10 top athletes by 2020 in these disciplines, our medal chances will improve significantly.

I believe there are cultural reasons as to why USA, Britain, Australia and Europe excel in big events such as Olympics. They have money and the educational grooming everyone gets since childhood is more all round, like if a 6 year old has natural inclination towards sports, they are encouraged and groomed well, if someone is interested in computer programming they are groomed to do well in that. 

In India we have too many economical constraints to deal with to provide all round educational grooming. Our cultural diversity is the most unique in the world and has won us accolades from all over the world for being the most vibrant society but the downside with this diversity is that each culture has different set of needs and providing all round grooming to each of them becomes complicated. That is why education in India is more about financial stability rather than personality development, hence the doctor, engineer and commerce craze.

I despise the Chinese model of Olympic training. While Western societies have individualistic cultures and encourage every aspirant to follow their natural drive, the Chinese model is based on torturing children through strict discipline and pain, and the government praises the only ones who win the gold, those who win bronze and silver are ignored. I have read stories as to how 80 % of retired Chinese Olympians are unemployed and living in poverty and some are even begging, all because they were never trained necessary life skills since childhood, only groomed to be medal winning robots.