I was out: Symonds

I am surprised Symmonds said that. Like how it is a breach of ICC code of conduct to criticize the umpires for mistakes in press-conferences, it must also be an offense if a player admits to having a life handed to him by the umpires.

Guest HariSampath

The way I look at these decisions, Symmonds knew he edged the ball, and according to both laws of cricket and spirit of laws , he was out and knew it. But he chose to stay back and take advantage of the umpire's blunder. To me that is cheating ( never mind the endless arguments about how bad decisions go against you)..and so Symmonds is a cheat. Similarily Ricky Ponting is a cheat. But...let's remember....same thing happened when Sachin Tendulkar clearly edged a Brett Lee delivery in the home ODI series and went on to stand and play ( he had 2 more rerrieves, a life and another Lbw)..but Sachin knew he was out and went on to score a miserable 70...so we have to accept that Sachin is a cheat as well ( like I very strongly pointed out during that match thread). To a large extent, almost all Int'l cricketers are cheats and do cheat knowingly as long as they get away with it. So lets us condemn this practice itself TOTALLY and not selectively, as it is bad for the game.

Guest HariSampath

^...a small addition, while certain players like Symmonds today and Murali Karthik in an ODI openly accept they edged the ball, but didn't walk...I have never ever heard Sachin to do so openly...even after he has benefited by an umpiring mistake, and stood his ground after edging a ball...this way accepting is a small honesty for which we have to appreciate Symmo and Murali Karthik when they could have easily said " I don't know....I just stayed back bcause umpire ruled notout...as a small stab at honesty accepting is at least a minor redeeming feature

Hari, What you have said above is ur opinion, fair enough. But umpires are the ones to blame here, and ICC for not bringing in technology. Its like saying if there is a totaling mistake and a student has got 95 in an exam answer sheet(instead of actual 85) in a subject, the student should volunteer, take his answer sheet to the teacher and reduce his grade. May happen, may not happen. But the mistake lies with the one who assigned the wrong grade.