Getting used to bowl at 140 kph: Hardik Pandya

Ironhide

3 hours ago, Vilander said:

good post, 

On the bolded part. The happy point to note it that, what ever cultural background that we shared with them is well in the distant past, now there is not much in common, as it is India and pak are drastically different and we should strive to distance ourselves from them in every way naturally, so that eventually there is nothing common left and we can totally avoid any Indianness in them.

Pakistani have nothing in common with a tamil and south indians in general lol. 

24-year old Hardik Pandya shot to fame following some impressive performances with the bat and ball with the Mumbai Indians in the IPL. However, when it came to playing international cricket, the Baroda all-rounder was taught a harsh lesson as he was dropped from the Indian team soon after the performances he put up in the World T20.

However, after having impressed with the India ‘A’ side, Hardik Pandya has seemingly been given a new lease of life. His impressive bowling in the first ODI at Dharamsala saw many doubters and haters eat their words rather forcefully. At the moment, Pandya has revealed that he is learning from the best  in the form of skipper MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli.

“There’s a lot to learn when both (Kohli and Dhoni) of them bat. Their batting, running between wickets inspire us. It’s at another level. It’s fun to watch them bat together,” Pandya paid glowing tributes to his seniors on the eve of their fourth ODI against New Zealand in Ranchi

The 24-year old also added that the positive intent shown by MS Dhoni was something that impressed him. “It shows positive intent. I enjoyed his (Dhoni) batting. As a batsman, whatever number I bat at, we should play according to the situation. It’s a job for everyone. It gives us confidence for someone who bats lower down the order. It’s pretty good.”

He also revealed that he was ready for everything international cricket threw at him. “I’m pretty ready for everything, whatever overs I get. I was putting the same effort but I’ve worked a bit more on my fitness. I’m stronger now.

“Well I’ve played that shot before, it was just not my day. I will try not repeat that and learn from mistakes and experience certainly plays a key role,” he added.

On 10/19/2016 at 0:59 PM, maniac said:

While I agree with the basis context of your post...sometimes it helps to pull the trigger when you see a special gifted talent.

How many years of domestic development did Sachin have?

As I mentioned Unadkat failed as a raw exciting talent...went back picked a load of wickets and came back just as ordinary as he was in the first place....Garbage will be garbage most of the time.

Samson is another player I think has suffered from this theory...when he came on to the scene he was pulling and smashing likes of Lee,Steyn etc in IPL...now playing too many domestics,last time I saw him in IPL didn't look that much comfortable against 140+ k'S bowling.

There is a thing called too late when it comes to talent but there is never any harm in too soon to find out what a player can bring to the table.

Good players don't necessarily go downhill. If SRT had been brought in at 20-21 instead of 16, I'm quite sure he'd have done well. The reason Samson's not doing well has to do with his temperament, etc. and nothing to do with when he was selected.

On 10/19/2016 at 1:53 PM, express bowling said:

Gauging  the stage of development of a player's game and his mental maturity  are  very important before introducing him in international cricket.  The basic game needs to be in place.   Let's take the case of  Jadeja the batsman. Even after so many years, he cannot play the short ball properly  and has an acute problem against the off stump delivery.  He is doing great as a bowler but has failed as a batsman due to these issues. His game is not fully developed as a batsman despite those 3 300s.  He  can only succeed consistently with the bat, especially in test matches or in the top order, when he rectifies these issues.

Sachin had a reasonably  developed game when he debuted  and I  don't think anyone will dispute this, that players like him are not that common.

How much do we know about Pant's game ?  How many matches have we seen  him in against senior cricket  bowlers  ? He may have a reasonably developed game or  may not....we don't really know.

Kuldeep Yadav has a much more developed game as a bowler.

Not yet at the moment.

On 10/19/2016 at 3:14 PM, sandeep said:

You expose a player to top level competition before he fully  builds out his skill-set and confidence, you risk destroying his confidence.  Even a colossal prodigy like Tendulkar has said, that only after a bit of success did he feel that he was good enough and belonged at the international level.  

Don't know if you guys are familiar with NFL - but its the David Carr thing.  Carr was a highly reputed quarterback prospect and was drafted early by the expansion Houston Texans.  He was widely expected to be a star player as he picked up experience at the NFL level.  Problem was he played behind a crappy offensive line that led him to being sacked way too many times.  This early exposure without the proper support is widely attributed to his stagnation as a player.  He ended up being a journeyman backup QB.  

Confidence is important for any sportsman, and cricket is no exception.  If a young batsman who has not really developed his all around game - has a few strengths, but hasn't had to really contend with top bowlers probing and exposing chinks in his game, you throw him out there and he fails - he may never make it back to that level.  He may lose self-belief.  Same goes for a bowler.  Let a young player go through a first class season or so, an A tour if possible - let him face varying pitch conditions and game situations with a decent opposition, before you just throw him into the national team.  Selectors job is to not only pick promising players, but put them in situations which increase their chances of success.  Clamoring for an early debut after a handful of FC games is high risk, low reward.  Just the opposite of what is good for a team and its players.  

And not to forget, you want to set a precedent for all players of having earned selection based on consistent performances.  If you start picking random players on the backs of odd performances here and there, its a lottery type scenario and hurts the morale and motivations of the other guys competing for selection.  Why would any organization jeopardize its pipeline? It wouldn't unless it was guided by the thinking of a teenage arm-chair fanboy.  Cricket is a sport that demands high skills - physical as well as mental.  Its not enough for someone to have brute strength or freakish hand-eye co-ordination - you have to be able to use raw physical skills in conjunction with a solid temperament and mental abilities of shot selection, understanding of game situation etc  These things are not just cultivated overnight or ingrained "talent" - it takes years of hard work and practice to build them into good instincts and muscle memory.  

Anyway, to summarize this overly wordy lecture - Stop pant-gasming over Rishabh Panth :D.  If he has what it takes, his time will come.  Especially because he will be maturing as a cricketer at just the right time when the incumbent 'keeper batsman is going to ride off into the sunset.  

Very true this. Let him play a couple of A tours, or at least duleep/irani.

Just now, Viper said:

We are playing 3 spinners where will this guy even play  ? Can't  remove shami. Umesh bowls phastttt with no wics so maybe his spot up for grab

I think he was meant to play in case Ind went with 2 spinners alone, i.e. in place of Mishy/Jayant.