Jadeja's batting today. Turning point for him?

sandeep

6 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I don't think Ind will play 2 spinners abroad, unless it has something in it for the spinners. If there are only 3 pacers, I'm not sure effective Pandya would be as the third.

Firstly India never had the luxury of having two versatile allrounders as spinners, secondly both have experience, with DRS the game has changed for spinners now coming into picture ,Pandya is an option we never had n we should not be afraid to exploit his talent, as a genuine allrounder n one who can bowl in 140s n bat at 100 S/R he can be a game changer n Capt n selectors have realized that already.

15 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

Drs has changed the game for finger spinners n lbw cN be a threat on any surface now, even with no turn, bounce, drift, dip, over spin can be used to be more effective, proper field placing drs and good spinner now can bowl and be effective most places.

Agreed.  With India accepting DRS - spinners can and will be much more effective for us overseas.  And Jadeja is a captain's dream as a bowler - the way he zips through his overs, and bowls with excellent economy rate, makes a captain's job a whole lot easier.  But unless Pandya turns into a legit test calibre bowler, it will not be easy to get both Jaddu and Ashwin into an away test at a venue that's not spin-friendly.  

Pandya if he keeps his head straight n stays fit, he has it in him talent wise to play as third seamer and to me can replace or make own his spot there plus his batting is not slogging, he has the requisite skills, he has to be given confidence n longer spell in the team n that will certainly pay dividends.

I would choose him over Ishant n Bhuvi on most tracks as his bowling is decent and his batting g can change the game in an hour or two as he scores fast

Pandya over Bhuvi on pace-friendly tracks?  That's a non-starter.  Lets just agree to disagree.  which I strongly do.

11 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

Firstly India never had the luxury of having two versatile allrounders as spinners, secondly both have experience, with DRS the game has changed for spinners now coming into picture ,Pandya is an option we never had n we should not be afraid to exploit his talent, as a genuine allrounder n one who can bowl in 140s n bat at 100 S/R he can be a game changer n Capt n selectors have realized that already.

I have posted several times pushing for Pandya, but I have to say - you are seriously over-rating Pandya both with bat and ball - in tests.  He may turn into that player you think he already is, and that would pretty much lock in India as #1 test team for quite a while, but he is nowhere near it at the moment.  

Pandya, or a player of that profile - is the missing link - the purple unicorn once found for Team India, will lead to a whole lot of overseas test success.  

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Agreed.  With India accepting DRS - spinners can and will be much more effective for us overseas.  And Jadeja is a captain's dream as a bowler - the way he zips through his overs, and bowls with excellent economy rate, makes a captain's job a whole lot easier.  But unless Pandya turns into a legit test calibre bowler, it will not be easy to get both Jaddu and Ashwin into an away test at a venue that's not spin-friendly.  

Pandya over Bhuvi on pace-friendly tracks?  That's a non-starter.  Lets just agree to disagree.  which I strongly do.

On most tracks means except the few times we play on seaming tracks say in NZ n Eng and that too depends on the time of the year

6 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

On most tracks means except the few times we play on seaming tracks say in NZ n Eng and that too depends on the time of the year

South Africa? a fit Bhuvi would be my 2nd pick after Shami - his very ordinary performance in the current test notwithstanding.  Don't forget - he got a 5-fer in the dead do-do tracks of the west indies when there was a hint of movement available.  Admittedly assisted by the technically deficient windies bats, but he was moving the ball beautifully.  Nailed the kiwis @ Kolkata recently as well.  Only place you'd think twice is the absolute roads that the aussies play on some tests.  

6 hours ago, sandeep said:

South Africa? a fit Bhuvi would be my 2nd pick after Shami - his very ordinary performance in the current test notwithstanding.  Don't forget - he got a 5-fer in the dead do-do tracks of the west indies when there was a hint of movement available.  Admittedly assisted by the technically deficient windies bats, but he was moving the ball beautifully.  Nailed the kiwis @ Kolkata recently as well.  Only place you'd think twice is the absolute roads that the aussies play on some tests.  

Yes, should be the third seamer. Ummi (or Pandya) will probably also play - on SA and Aus tracks, hit-the-deck bowler would be more helpful

13 hours ago, Vijy said:

I don't know if we have 4 such pacers - Ishant, BK, Yadav and Shami I guess. Of them, BK can bat to an extent, but the others are kind of bunnies. Would be nice to find another pace bowler who can bat well.

Pandya will play as a fourth seamer, allrounder. His selection for this series is an indicator.

12 hours ago, sandeep said:

You forgot - he took a blow to the shoulder and has a hairline fracture - might even miss the ODIs.  Which is really unfortunate.  I was hoping for a good head-to-head comparison between him and Stokes with the white ball.    Stokes is miles ahead of Pandya with the red, but Pandya could have been comparable with the white - I truly believe that.  

Pandya hasn't even played yet, so, comparison with stokes is unfair who is playing international cricket for last 3 years.

11 hours ago, MCcricket said:

Vijay

Rahul

Pujara

Virat

Rahane

Ashwin

Saha

Jadeja

Pandya

Shami

Umesh

Is a decent lineup even in Australia or England as most grounds now have become slower n flatter now also with DRS spinners are coming more into the game everywhere, only thing is now for them to adjust to dukes n kookaburra

My  team outside Asia as of now would be -- 

1) Vijay

2) Parthiv

3) Pujara

4) Kohli

5) Rahane

6) Rahul

7) Ashwin

8) Pandya

9) Bhuvi / Umesh

10) Ishant 

11) Shami  

till the time we find a new all-condition seamer

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

1) Vijay

2) Parthiv

3) Pujara

4) Kohli

5) Rahane

6) Rahul

7) Ashwin

8) Pandya

9) Bhuvi / Umesh

10) Ishant 

11) Shami  

India has rarely played three seamers let alone 4, but if conditions warrant why not and we have Ashwin n Pandya who can bat n so we have variety in tall hit the deck Ishant, swing bowler Bhuvi, Shami all conditions bowler n Umesh for pace n swing , also reverse.

Edited by MCcricket
58 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

India has rarely played three seamers let alone 4, but if conditions warrant why not and we have Ashwin n Pandya who can bat n so we have variety in tall hit the deck Ashwins, swing bowler Bhuvi, Shami all conditions bowler n Umesh for pace n swing , also reverse.

India have always played 3 seamers overseas, even played Bunny as 4th seamer in England. Pandya is certainly an upgrade as bowler over him. We need 4 seamers overseas. This is the biggest we struggle to take 20 wickets. A good seam allrounder is a must.

Just now, rkt.india said:

India have always played 3 seamers overseas, even played Bunny as 4th seamer in England. Pandya is certainly an upgrade as bowler over him. We need 4 seamers overseas. This is the biggest we struggle to take 20 wickets. A good seam allrounder is a must.

4 seamers would be good, if 3 of them are genuine frontline bowlers. Am happy with Shami, quite okay with BK, but 3rd seamer is somewhat worrying. (neither Ishant nor Ummi are fully convincing). Pandya as 4th seamer should be better than Bundy

1) Vijay

2) Parthiv

3) Pujara

4) Kohli

5) Rahane

6) Rahul

7) Ashwin

8) Pandya

9) Bhuvi / Umesh

10) Ishant 

11) Shami  

Parthiv is simply not good enough to open in test cricket away from home and less said the better about his keeping

14 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

I certainly agree but it was both Indian mentality n persistence of Dhoni on including same team in India as abroad , Shami, Umesh, Ishant, Pandya would be a good attack.

1 hour ago, MCcricket said:

India has rarely played three seamers let alone 4, but if conditions warrant why not and we have Ashwin n Pandya who can bat n so we have variety in tall hit the deck Ishant, swing bowler Bhuvi, Shami all conditions bowler n Umesh for pace n swing , also reverse.

We always play 3 seamers away from home...did so right from the '80s.

Our fast bowlers are not used to being the main bowlers and bowling for many overs a day.  For this purpose...we need the seamer-allrounder to give them some rest and keep them fresh so that they can bowl with intensity when they come in to bowl.  Pandya is the best option we have now, quick, has developed a good stock delivery and improved  his accuracy, has a good bouncer and can bat with his team in pressure.

Ideally, with an outside Asia tour 12 months away... I would like us to look to develop a new all-conditions pacer....among the pool of Nathu Singh, Shardul Thakur, Aniket Chaudhary, Aniket Rajpoot and Pradeep Sangwan.

Even if we don't...our attack of  Shami, Ishant, Umesh / Bhuvi, Ashwin and Pandya would be good.....with a lot of variety.  And Kohli will perhaps get a bit more out of them.

38 minutes ago, Vijy said:

4 seamers would be good, if 3 of them are genuine frontline bowlers. Am happy with Shami, quite okay with BK, but 3rd seamer is somewhat worrying. (neither Ishant nor Ummi are fully convincing). Pandya as 4th seamer should be better than Bundy

Ishant has done well overseas in the last 2-3 years but has struggled at home. Regarding Umesh, he is yet to play a single test places most helpful for pacers SA, NZ, England.

4 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Ishant has done well overseas in the last 2-3 years but has struggled at home. Regarding Umesh, he is yet to play a single test places most helpful for pacers SA, NZ, England.

Shami  has improved his wicket-taking ability in tests after returning from injury.

Umesh has bowled some sizzling bouncers in this test match and has been accurate in the few overs he has bowled.  His overall accuracy,  in the last one year,  is much better too.     He is starting to give some hope with this approach.

Ishant is a much better bowler nowadays, especially away from home.

Our trio of genuine fast bowlers are showing some promise after a long time.