Somdev Devvarman has retired

Cricketics

It is always sad to hear about any retirement and this feels the same if you are an Indian tennis fan.I have met Somdev few times at US Open and he was always a good, humble down to earth person who would always give it all he had to win or challenge even higher seeded opponents.

It is sad that his career was plagued with so many injuries. I have seen him in slams even with massive injuries where he continued to fight against top players. An average Tennis follower will say that he was a below average player, but I and many who know or followed Indian tennis closely know that he had had an excellent career for someone who was always injured even during his returns. He reached career high around 50 which was a big plus in his career. Somdev can be proud the way he played and represnted India and also won gold in both Commonwealth and Asian games.

Farewell Somdev.

Somdev's amazing achievements in his career. Credit to PK Basu for sharing this post on another forum.

Two times NCAA singles champion (one of only 3 to have won back to back NCAA singles titles since 1950), and the only one to have made three consecutive NCAA singles finals. 
Gold in singles and doubles at the 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou. 
Gold in singles at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi. (Also the team bronze there). 
Davis Cup victories over Thomas Belluzi (to enable India to stun Brazil and re-enter the World Group), Janko Tipsarevic (in Serbia) and Yen-Hsun Lu. 
Singles finals at the ATP Chennai Open 2009 and the ATP South Africa Open 2011 (losing tight matches to Marin Cilic and Kevin Anderson). 
A career-high singles ranking of 62, the best by an Indian in the past 25 years.  

Thanks for the memories, Buji!

2 hours ago, jusarrived said:

When will paes retire ? Cant stand the guy anymore 

I know your feeling but the thing is that I do not have any problem with tennis players delaying their retirement since this is an individual sport. However, we should look for a new davis cup double's team for future as Paes has played enough and we can not rely on him. 

Keep Paes out of Davis cup, that is all and I do not care what he does and when he retires.

Have you heard of Divij and Purav? They have had a brilliant last 6 months and have beaten top teams and gained direct entry to Australian open. I mean who would have thought that? They split like 10 times in last 8 years(just like Paes/Bhupathi) but now they are finally back again and actually winning like crazy. I want them to be our Davis cup team for the future. They are still not that old. We need to support Divij and Purav as a team and they should be our first choice Davis cup double's team who would also be our first choice doubles team at olympics with out any doubt.