How its not Chahal’s fault..Leg spin 101

Cricketics

So if anyone of you have played cricket even in slightest of rain, you would know its hard to grip the ball when the ball gets a little wet.

Now in general in Cricket leg spinners need to have the most control on the ball to get their line right, or let me put this the other way - among all spinners or pacers, its the leg spin which is the toughest bowling type to bowl in terms of getting your control simple because of the difficulty of gripping and using the wrist. A leg spinner must be really accurate or he would be taken apart most times in such wet conditions, unlike an off spinner or a fast bowler who even though might lose their line, can keep the scoreboard quiet.

So leg spinner being constantly asked to bowl in such tough conditions isn’t the greatest of ideas. 

I think Raina should have bowled a bit instead of bringing back Chahal.

Unfortunately, we don’t have a good right hand off spinner in the squad  I am not even sure id Kuldeep would have been effective, he might have gone for runs too in such conditions.

But I would have surely bowled Raina few overs since he is an offspinner who can have more control.  

10 minutes ago, Under_Score said:

Kohli must have hoped that Chahal would get a wicket after a bad over...but the bad overs got worse....total screw up.

Yes, i think its learning curve but we must use the off spon option when we have. I mean our premier spinners are surely Chahal and Kuldeep but no harm in trying that extra spin option of Raina when we can.

One solid 6-7 run over from Raina can really mess things up for the oppositions when they need 20 balls 30 odd.

1 hour ago, mancalledsting said:

I think 2 issues. Kohli should have played extra pacer instead of Chahal given rainy forecast. Secondly, chapel should have darted them in rather than flighting them as on a wet wicket there will be no grip. 

That's what the OP is saying I guess.. even to dart is difficult with a wet ball for leg spinner. 

2 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

I think 2 issues. Kohli should have played extra pacer instead of Chahal given rainy forecast. Secondly, chapel should have darted them in rather than flighting them as on a wet wicket there will be no grip. 

Bhaiya, read again. As a leg spinner, you are just not that good to throw quick ones or straighter ones that easily. It doesn’t come naturally to them. And with the wet ball, it gets just tougher. They can bowl occasional deliveries and bowl few flippers but hard for them to keep it accurate for too long. Its just the nature of leg spin bowling and how the ball comes out of hand of a leg spinner.

Even if they try to not spin the ball and throw straight, its likely to be a really short ball which will be dispatched for a six anyway.