Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
FischerTal

Indian Military Thread

Recommended Posts

just a thread for those interested in following the latest updates on Indian military..

 

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/sig-sauer-rifles-to-be-made-available-to-infantry-by-year-end-army-chief-1613012-2019-10-25

 

Sig Sauer rifles to be made available to infantry by year-end: Army chief

 

so the plan is to provide Sig Sauer rifles to soldiers on the LoC, LAC and the Rashtriya Rifles while the remaining will get the locally assembled Ak-203. this is sad from an Indian perspective. even after 70 years, OFB cannot provide a decent gun to Armed Forces.

Edited by FischerTal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/defence-ministry-to-seek-cabinet-nod-for-prototype-of-desi-stealth-jet/articleshow/71798166.cms

 

Defence ministry to seek Cabinet nod for prototype of desi stealth jet 
 

if everything goes according to plan, IAF is looking at future 123 LCA Tejas Mk1, 200 LCA Tejas Mk2, 36 AMCA Mk1, and 96 AMCA Mk2, along with 36 Rafale..... hopefully everything goes as planned 
Edited by FischerTal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also biggest priority should be budgeting a billon dollars a year on turbofan jet engine and developing it in the next 10 years. We are close with Kaveri, where it’s power is 15-20% less and weighs 10-15% more than the best of its class (F414).

 

Thats an aweful lot of planes for the Air Force that runs on unkils engine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

Also biggest priority should be budgeting a billon dollars a year on turbofan jet engine and developing it in the next 10 years. We are close with Kaveri, where it’s power is 15-20% less and weighs 10-15% more than the best of its class (F414).

 

Thats an aweful lot of planes for the Air Force that runs on unkils engine 

there were talks about MoD tying up with Safran for help in Kaveri engine as part of French offsets in Rafale deal, but there was a pricing issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FischerTal said:

there were talks about MoD tying up with Safran for help in Kaveri engine as part of French offsets in Rafale deal, but there was a pricing issue.

Also because it’s unclear if Safran would help in the hot section, which is where we need the help primarily. Either way, being reliant on Unkil for an engine is a bad plan, I’d rather they went with Safran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Thread covering details of the Spike LR..... seems it has been procured mainly keeping LoC in mind to be used in bunker-buster role and also to launch surprise attacks against enemy since it can be fired in a lofted trajectory and doesnt require a line of sight when being initially fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/china-pushes-for-another-discussion-on-jk-at-unsc/articleshow/72788380.cms?utm_campaign=andapp&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=native_share_tray

 

China pushes for another discussion on J&K at UNSC 
 

interesting point made by Shah Mehmood Qureshi, Foreign Minister of Pakistan. India has partially removed fencing in a few places across LoC. seems like General Rawat's plan of salami slicing is coming to fruition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2019 at 7:43 AM, FischerTal said:

interesting point made by Shah Mehmood Qureshi, Foreign Minister of Pakistan. India has partially removed fencing in a few places across LoC. seems like General Rawat's plan of salami slicing is coming to fruition.

Good move.  IA should pick and choose locations where terrain is in its favor.  For too long they've been playing only defense along LoC.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few months away from Rafale being delivered.

 

Would like if Indian military gets timely delivery of other weapons rather than waiting for a long long time on "Made in India" warfare. Better to go for trusted companies which can deliver the crucial weapons in a timely fashion. The contract of basic things used by military can be continued to be given to Indian companies though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 11:47 AM, FischerTal said:

 

Efficiencies of scale matter. China is building a destroyer every 2 months I think. It also has the vast raw materials infrastructure present on epic scale.

 

we don’t. So for us a lot of the overhead cost gets divided into smaller units and thus costs per item goes up ( ie, if it costs 1 billion to set up fabrication facility for a destroyer, China orders 50 and so each destroyer has a +20 million price tag. India orders 10 and has a + 100 million price tag).

 

This is sort of the same reason why per unit price of a much more advanced F35 is lower than that of a Rafale( F35 costs 90-110 million per aircraft, Rafale costs 110-200 million). Coz LM gets to distribute overhead cost into 3000 F35s ordered while Dassault gets to distribute it over 250 jets....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Efficiencies of scale matter. China is building a destroyer every 2 months I think. It also has the vast raw materials infrastructure present on epic scale.

 

we don’t. So for us a lot of the overhead cost gets divided into smaller units and thus costs per item goes up ( ie, if it costs 1 billion to set up fabrication facility for a destroyer, China orders 50 and so each destroyer has a +20 million price tag. India orders 10 and has a + 100 million price tag).

 

This is sort of the same reason why per unit price of a much more advanced F35 is lower than that of a Rafale( F35 costs 90-110 million per aircraft, Rafale costs 110-200 million). Coz LM gets to distribute overhead cost into 3000 F35s ordered while Dassault gets to distribute it over 250 jets....

I don't disagree with what you are saying but this is India's problem. always one step behind the curve. Rafales were supposed to be inked in 2011, now India will receive Rafales in 2021 when world has already moved on to 5th generation fighters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, FischerTal said:

I don't disagree with what you are saying but this is India's problem. always one step behind the curve. Rafales were supposed to be inked in 2011, now India will receive Rafales in 2021 when world has already moved on to 5th generation fighters.

Well we already have received 3, 15 more will come this year. Rafales are fine for India for the foreseeable future : it can massively outclass F16s and JF-17s and is equal to any Chinese aircraft not named J-20. But the J20 is underpowered and is definitely not going to be based in Tibet so, it has a huge handicap in entering our airspace.

Our current problem is falling numbers, not quality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Well we already have received 3, 15 more will come this year. Rafales are fine for India for the foreseeable future : it can massively outclass F16s and JF-17s and is equal to any Chinese aircraft not named J-20. But the J20 is underpowered and is definitely not going to be based in Tibet so, it has a huge handicap in entering our airspace.

Our current problem is falling numbers, not quality. 

83 LCA Mk1A contract will be signed shortly to replace the Mig 21s being decommissioned , but my big worry is what about the remaining 90 aircraft that were supposed to be bought in MMRCA contest? I hope a follow-up Rafale contract is signed soon.

Edited by FischerTal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FischerTal said:

83 LCA Mk1A contract will be signed shortly to replace the Mig 21s being decommissioned , but my big worry is what about the remaining 90 aircraft that were supposed to be bought in MMRCA contest? I hope a follow-up Rafale contract is signed soon.

I feel they will bump up mki numbers to 400 with super sukhoi config to make shortfall 

 

HAL needs some work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And building on that me thinks 36 more rafale and 72 more mki will be new orders 

 

Eventually you will see around 400 mki and 72 rafale alongside some 100 versions of lca by 2030 in indian airforce. 

 

Beyond 2030 india will emerge as a secondary rafale market buying from middle eastern abd french air force. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, G_B_ said:

And building on that me thinks 36 more rafale and 72 more mki will be new orders 

 

Eventually you will see around 400 mki and 72 rafale alongside some 100 versions of lca by 2030 in indian airforce. 

 

Beyond 2030 india will emerge as a secondary rafale market buying from middle eastern abd french air force. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

India is not getting any more Su-30s after the 278 are delivered. We will receive about 36 more. IAF does not want any more Su-30s, since it’s a heavy fighter that costs a lot more to fly ( 2 seater vs 1 seater) and IAF feels its need for heavy fighters is satisfied.

 

currently IAF wants medium to light class fighters- something that is small and cheap and can act as point defense air superiority fighter, meaning it doesn’t need long range. This is where the Rafale and the Tejas come in. 

 

India paid 200 million per Rafale for 36 of them- about 3 billion of that was for one time India specific enhancement development and research ( such as takeoff from high altitude like Leh, enhanced radar, OBOGS, gps navigation for Indian air space etc). This means the next lot will be about 40% cheaper and India is likely to get at least another 36 once this order is completed in early 2022.

 

the rest will be done by Tejas mk1a and mk2. 

 

Oh we are also getting 25 MiG-29s this year- these are sitting in Russian hangers as brand new but undeployed due to their budget cuts and apparently we pay only 20 million per aircraft.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The major problem with the IAF is that it has a complete end user customer mentality and always wants the absolute best thing on the market. Problem with this is, we will never get a domestic industry if we don’t go through the growing pains. Nobody ever puts out a world beater engine at first try, they go through decades of iteration and production line upgrades. 

The Chinese have realized that there are no shortcuts to engine development amen have bitten the bullet. Their WS series is underpowered compared to the Klimovs and AL-31 derivates but they are sticking with it. This is why J-20 is underpowered.

 

But IAF did not learn its lessons from the Kaveri fiasco. Now it wants a 120 KN engine for its AMCA project in the F414/RD-33 weight class. Which means IAF requirement is for a 40% higher performance on the absolute best middle weight engine on the planet- the F414. 

 

The babus need to be firm with IAF or else we will forever be a third rate Air Force dependent on imports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, G_B_ said:

I assume he means the t55 of royal navy?

I think he means type 055 of the PLAN

 

11 hours ago, G_B_ said:

I feel they will bump up mki numbers to 400 with super sukhoi config to make shortfall 

 

HAL needs some work

but Sukhoi is an air superiority fighter, whereas requirement is for a multirole combat fighter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

India is not getting any more Su-30s after the 278 are delivered. We will receive about 36 more. IAF does not want any more Su-30s, since it’s a heavy fighter that costs a lot more to fly ( 2 seater vs 1 seater) and IAF feels its need for heavy fighters is satisfied.

 

currently IAF wants medium to light class fighters- something that is small and cheap and can act as point defense air superiority fighter, meaning it doesn’t need long range. This is where the Rafale and the Tejas come in. 

 

India paid 200 million per Rafale for 36 of them- about 3 billion of that was for one time India specific enhancement development and research ( such as takeoff from high altitude like Leh, enhanced radar, OBOGS, gps navigation for Indian air space etc). This means the next lot will be about 40% cheaper and India is likely to get at least another 36 once this order is completed in early 2022.

 

the rest will be done by Tejas mk1a and mk2. 

 

Oh we are also getting 25 MiG-29s this year- these are sitting in Russian hangers as brand new but undeployed due to their budget cuts and apparently we pay only 20 million per aircraft.

 

Cuts in defence budget are aimed primarily at making IAF and IA have no choice but to invest in indigenous platforms.

 

besides fighters, IAF is also going to have to focus on filling in the AD gaps on the IB. one of the reasons Pakistanis were able to mount a response in Rajouri was due to inadequate AD coverage there. Im hopeful of QR-SAM, which is both cheap and also ready for induction soon. 

 

with regards to AWACS, I have no hopes. IAF is still not putting its full thrust behind Netra. 

Edited by FischerTal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 3:52 AM, FischerTal said:

83 LCA Mk1A contract will be signed shortly to replace the Mig 21s being decommissioned , but my big worry is what about the remaining 90 aircraft that were supposed to be bought in MMRCA contest? I hope a follow-up Rafale contract is signed soon.

there is 21 mig 29s ( directly from Russia) and 18 more su30mkis ( followup from HAL) contract on the way. Rest is up in the air --> looks like they are filling HAL nashik for a year --> question is what is coming after that. May be MK1A. MK2,ORCA,TEDBF etc are on paper still. More rafales looks the soon to be reality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...