Rajiv

Watched any new movies? *Please use spoiler tags*

Finally watched Stree, we have never made a horror-comedy before, excellently and intelligently made. Saw it with a bunch of family and friends, it was really funny, esp Pankaj Tripathi and Rajkumar Rao. 

Spoiler

Obviously, Shraddha Kapoor is a witch or a ghost, who used Vicky and gang to usurp the Stree power, but the underlying story is about respecting women, soft feminism. Men were not respecting women and had confined them to their  homes, hence the stree had to derobe  men of their pride and shame(stealing their body naked). When the society changes and when the message on the wall is ‘O stree raksha  karna’ , then the angry stree is powerless or no need of women to get enraged about

Edited by coffee_rules

On 2/2/2019 at 8:47 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Saw- ZERO 

Absolutely loved it. People just had to suspend their disbelief in some films to enjoy the film. One of the film that will be values over the years . Same was the case with Rockstar

Where did u read MasterPiece in this ???? 

35 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Where did u read MasterPiece in this ???? 

Fine you didn’t use the exact word “masterpiece” anyway what suspension of disbelief?  That is such a loosely used word to defend crap. That applies to something like Harry Potter or GOT. You know wizards and dragons don’t exist but they created a world and the world has rules and you invest in the world they created. That is suspension of disbelief not this trash.

Anushka Sharma’s acting is now officially the most offensive thing her family has done superseding Kohli’s laughing and giggling with the Pakistanis after the CT final. That hurt my nationalism. This hurt my humanity. I remember as a kid imitating a neighbor who had polio and my mom slapping me for it. Only few times my parents raised their hand on me (in before should have done it more often smart ass comment by someone :p: )  . Her acting of someone with disability is the single most offensive thing in all of cinema Beating blackface and caricature “madraasi, Chaman jhinga Parsi and Punjabi characters” Bollywood has presented.

SRK dwarf act was just a gimmick. It neither had depth or any emotional character building.

The story made no sense. What underlying philosophy was the director saying? Maybe he is just too smart for making films so he should quit.

no.1 chewtiyapanti ever made in the name of cinema.

Edited by maniac

7 minutes ago, maniac said:

Fine you didn’t use the exact word “masterpiece” anyway what suspension of disbelief?  That is such a loosely used word to defend crap. That applies to something like Harry Potter or GOT. You know wizards and dragons don’t exist but they created a world and the world has rules and you invest in the world they created. That is suspension of disbelief not this trash.

suspension of disbelief is when u have to say fck to logic n surrender to the world 

Cinema is mostly about suspension of disbelief . U knw the way hero beats up 100 guys but that doesnt happen in real life but we beileve it 

Anushka Sharma’s acting is now officially the most offensive thing her family has done superseding Kohli’s laughing and giggling with the Pakistanis after the CT final. That hurt my nationalism. This hurt my humanity. I remember as a kid imitating a neighbor who had polio and my mom slapping me for it. Only few times my parents raised their hand on me (in before should have done it more often smart ass comment by someone :p: )  . Her acting of someone with disability is the single most offensive thing in all of cinema Beating blackface and caricature “madraasi, Chaman jhinga Parsi and Punjabi characters” Bollywood has presented.

Anushka was damn annoying ....i agree 

SRK dwarf act was just a gimmick. It neither had depth or any emotional character building.

He was good actually.........i loved that his character has arrogance rather having a victim mentality . Good they showed me flawed rather making him a victim n nicest guy on earth. Thankfully he didnt overact like he does in so many of his films

The story made no sense. What underlying philosophy was the director saying? Maybe he is just too smart for making films so he should quit.

Simple- love goes beyond logic.....this was the same thing he used in ranjhana and ppl had same issue with the 2nd half of the film. Protagonist goes to length in guilt for his love in both films .......this erred more coz this time they went to a fantasy genere with monkey, space n all and treatment also changed from a film setup in real world to becoming a fantasy genre...... this inconsistency is was a huge problem and thats why film didnt work . 

no.1 chewtiyapanti ever made in the name of cinema.

ohh clearly u havent seen a lot of films then 

Jersey is a must watch for cricket fans. Even though some of the story is predictable, its still quite good especially Nani's performance and father son episodes.
I liked the premise and the movie in general. But not a big fan of the ending. I wasn't sure if that was really necessary to make the hero a hero. I would have been just fine with a more grounded, realistic ending.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

On 5/28/2019 at 2:35 PM, Mariyam said:

Oh, the irony.

Emotional depth mariyam sahiba.

A person suffering from dwarfism is a disabled person. Usually such characters are used either as comic relief which is wrong and the good ones like for example Kamal Hassan in Appu Raja or the character of Tyrion Lannister ( I am assuming you don’t watch GOT) in this case played by a real life actor suffering from dwarfism  both these characters capture perfectly the frustration and the rejection they go through without making it a caricature. These are not arthouse movies. They are perfectly mainstream commercial characters.

Appu Raja was an out and out masala film too but you see a well etched out  character.an actual storyline arc. Who is he? What is the trauma he went through? What does he do for a living? At the same time telling you a perfect revenge story tying in to this.

In this case both disabilities were used as a gimmick and story went nowhere. In fact SRK came out better because he wasn’t as annoying as Anushka. Otherwise same old crappy ham acting.

Edited by maniac

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I am sick of this bong screamer. Over exposure. He has to cut down his outpour. 

he is posting 4/5 videos every week .. should cut down and concentrate on quality ..

desi ozzyman reviews 

anybody watched both arjun reddy and kabir singh ?  ( @maniac )

seen arjun reddy long back and i really cant find any reason why the feminists got offended .. 

and i think kabir singh is scene by scene cut copy paste of arjun reddy .. 

16 minutes ago, velu said:

anybody watched both arjun reddy and kabir singh ?  ( @maniac )

seen arjun reddy long back and i really cant find any reason why the feminists got offended .. 

and i think kabir singh is scene by scene cut copy paste of arjun reddy .. 

Didn’t see both. For some reason didn’t feel like watching it. Just happens with some movies. Will check it one of these days on prime video. 

On 6/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, maniac said:

Didn’t see both. For some reason didn’t feel like watching it. Just happens with some movies. Will check it one of these days on prime video. 

Saw Arjun Reddy on prime. Highly Misogynistic and reeking of south Indian toxic masculinity. As if girls are properties of boys, if he says you are my girl (na pilla ra), she would fall head over heels for him. They way she falls for him is total sexual exploitation/harassment  Every scene has him smoking. Which sane surgeon (even if he is a topper) drinks and smokes like that. The makers have no idea what it takes to be a doctor.

Ok, with emotional content, watching a train wreck, good in parts, but too much on emotion. Rest of the family is one dimensional, I haven't seen anybody behave like that. Not

a family movie, but will influence young college goers to have misconceptions about future life. But, OTOH, people should not be hung up on caste and promote inter-caste marriages, that part I appreciate. According to the angry  bong reviewer, doing drugs, drinking alcohol and performing surgery under influence, and having promiscuous sex with girls who are engaged, is bad-ass! What an ass!.

Edited by coffee_rules

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Saw Arjun Reddy on prime. Highly Misogynistic and reeking of south Indian toxic masculinity. As if girls are properties of boys, if he says you are my girl (na pilla ra), she would fall head over heels for him. They way she falls for him is total sexual exploitation/harassment  Every scene has him smoking. Which sane surgeon (even if he is a topper) drinks and smokes like that. The makers have no idea what it takes to be a doctor.

Ok, with emotional content, watching a train wreck, good in parts, but too much on emotion. Rest of the family is one dimensional, I haven't seen anybody behave like that. Not

a family movie, but will influence young college goers to have misconceptions about future life. But, OTOH, people should not be hung up on caste and promote inter-caste marriages, that part I appreciate. According to the angry  bong reviewer, doing drugs, drinking alcohol and performing surgery under influence, and having promiscuous sex with girls who are engaged, is bad-ass! What an ass!.

Okay, there is a dialogue in the movie, make friends with fat chicks, they are loyal,

fat shaming is normalized and accepted in the movie.

5 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Okay, there is a dialogue in the movie, make friends with fat chicks, they are loyal,

fat shaming is normalized and accepted in the movie.

nothing wrong in fat shaming ..

if someone is fat not because of any medical issues , constant reminders might force them to take care of their weight and health ..

really hate fat guys posting ( mostly women ) , i am fat and i am happy .. this sets being fat is normal 

ps:-

may ICFers fat shamed @Old guy , he took it as a challenge and he lost 15 kgs .. he was looking like a ooty gaur earlier but now he is fit like a rajasthan blackbuck 

2 hours ago, velu said:

if someone is fat not because of any medical issues , constant reminders might force them to take care of their weight and health ..

really hate fat guys posting ( mostly women ) , i am fat and i am happy .. this sets being fat is normal 

may ICFers fat shamed @Old guy , he took it as a challenge and he lost 15 kgs .. he was looking like a ooty gaur earlier but now he is fit like a rajasthan blackbuck 

yes fat shaming is necessary

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

yes fat shaming is necessary

Why?

why can't people be allowed to be ?

It is one thing for family ,friends and doctors to councel ,but totally unnecessary for others to shame people for being whatever size.

Live and let live .

32 minutes ago, beetle said:

Why?

It is one thing for family ,friends and doctors to councel ,but totally unnecessary for others to shame people for being whatever size.

Live and let live .

Problem is fat people are promoting unhealthy culture ..

Which is very dangerous in this age 

30 minutes ago, beetle said:

Why?

Live and let live .

It is important for that.  Obesity can make life hell but people keep going, keep ignoring, not realizing how much better they can feel if they can slim down a bit.  and it is my personal experienced it. From skinny to becoming obese due to hypothyroid and then losing 20 kg, it makes a huge difference to your quality of life. 

being fat and obese, people are just inviting heart disease, diabetes, etc.

27 minutes ago, velu said:

Problem is fat people are promoting unhealthy culture ..

Which is very dangerous in this age 

But it is their life.

Who are we to shame them ?

Who are we to decide how others should be in their personal life.

Advicing , counselling or  encouraging are fine ...but shaming should not be part of our right . 

Edited by beetle

7 minutes ago, beetle said:

In what way?

Pata nahi Chala Kya reaction Karu. Yeh Sab cheez toh real life mein nahi hoti. Just when I think this guy will give in and move on, he keeps going after her. There where some cringeworthy dialogues and scenes. 

If I go and kiss a girl on the cheeks, Kya haal hota mera? Kya ladki pat jaati?

7 hours ago, velu said:

It's nobody' facking business to tell what one should do about their appearance. Why are we so bothered about others always? Mind your business and worry about the mole on your face that looks hideous. Worry about your demeanor and what are you giving back to the society and don't worry about what others are influencing doing.

I don't how is Indian education system changed so much that fat-shaming is considered normal. Individual level is different. But to show it in a movie where all kinds of people go, is very demeaning to public. The director/writer should be shamed and let them show how they look in the mirror. Facking snobs. 

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

It's nobody' facking business to tell what one should do about their appearance. Why are we so bothered about others always? Mind your business and worry about the mole on your face that looks hideous. Worry about your demeanor and what are you giving back to the society and don't worry about what others are influencing doing.

I don't how is Indian education system changed so much that fat-shaming is considered normal. Individual level is different. But to show it in a movie where all kinds of people go, is very demeaning to public. The director/writer should be shamed and let them show how they look in the mirror. Facking snobs. 

If some fattie is jumping up and down and saying that "I am fat and I am happy . Screw you all " , then I don't see any wrong in shaming them .

Being obese is not a thing to be celebrated .

If you are a PC principal then Fat shaming may be wrong.

Anyway in school's and collages we use to comment about others appearance among us , you don't say that you didn't did that.

We can't change our color or face , but can change our ass and tummy :giggle:

1 hour ago, Laaloo said:

Pata nahi Chala Kya reaction Karu. Yeh Sab cheez toh real life mein nahi hoti. Just when I think this guy will give in and move on, he keeps going after her. There where some cringeworthy dialogues and scenes. 

If I go and kiss a girl on the cheeks, Kya haal hota mera? Kya ladki pat jaati?

She is so meek when he is forcing her to like her. All the talk about 'this girl is mine, nobody dare touch her' and announcing it to all is territorial behavior is toxic masculinity.  This happens in real life, and hence need not be promoted in movies, just like we say don't smoke in movies so young people pick it up. Also, trying to influence who she hangs out with, let her choose her friends, is all misogynistic behavior. 

48 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

She is so meek when he is forcing her to like her. All the talk about 'this girl is mine, nobody dare touch her' and announcing it to all is territorial behavior is toxic masculinity.  This happens in real life, and hence need not be promoted in movies, just like we say don't smoke in movies so young people pick it up. Also, trying to influence who she hangs out with, let her choose her friends, is all misogynistic behavior. 

it all evens out in the end if you keep watching all the telugu movies :giggle:

if you

13 minutes ago, velu said:

it all evens out in the end if you keep watching all the telugu movies :giggle:

if you

This doesn't happen in real life or it might happen very rarely that movies use it sensationalize. But, the other harassment happens daily in real life. Look at the amount of rapes, acid attacks and eve teasing is in the news. Why am I even saying things that are so logical to understand. . Enough of this.  

Just now, coffee_rules said:

This doesn't happen in real life or it might happen very rarely that movies use it sensationalize. But, the other harassment happens daily in real life. Look at the amount of rapes, acid attacks and eve teasing is in the news. Why am I even saying things that are so logical to understand. . Enough of this.  

you skipped your collage days by sitting in the front row seat i think .. thats my girl , your girl thing is quite common ..

anyway leave it then :sleep:

There are some issues in Arjun Reddy(I haven't seen Kabir Singh.) but people are overblowing it...watch Baradwaj Rangan's take on it. He reviewed it really well, not a surprise as he is a national award winner in critics.

The thing people are not realizing is that even Preethi is kind of a nutcase, not just Arjun/Kabir. I didn't like this scene but when the first time Arjun kisses Preethi, she doesn't say anything...she doesn't oppose it. Infact, it's pretty clear from the movie that she likes being dominated by Arjun. The guy is topper of the batch, handsome, good at sports, filthy rich...pretty much most of the girls in college in India would fall for a guy like that...it's not some unrealistic scenario or anything. The one scene which I didn't really like was him going to class and warning other students about Preethi being his girl...I felt this one could have been dealt in a better way.

When I saw it in Telugu, I was pretty sure that it would work even better in Hindi. These kind of movies have much better reach in Hindi than in regional languages. Looks like it might even end up as highest grossing Hindi movie of the year. Vijay has gotten pretty good cult following after this movie...wouldn't be surprised if the same happens with Shahid too. T

On the whole, it's a pretty good movie despite having some issues, I personally loved Shiva (hero's friend character) and Arjun's grandma a lot in Arjun Reddy. The guy was so much fun, his conversations with Arjun were really fun. Movie also had some great music. It's fitting that even Arjun Reddy music director is also a big nutcase irl.

Edited by upriser7
s

On 6/26/2019 at 11:29 PM, coffee_rules said:

If it happens in real life does not mean you stop showing this in the films.  Neither a films makes one a rapist or a molester.  

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

If it happens in real life does not mean you stop showing this in the films.  Neither a films makes one a rapist or a molester.  

It does normalize it if heroes are shown doing it . It desensitizes people.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:32 PM, velu said:

you skipped your collage days by sitting in the front row seat i think .. thats my girl , your girl thing is quite common ..

anyway leave it then :sleep:

Saying it is different from terrorizing anyone who does not accept that.

On 6/27/2019 at 2:30 AM, upriser7 said:

There are some issues in Arjun Reddy(I haven't seen Kabir Singh.) but people are overblowing it...watch Baradwaj Rangan's take on it. He reviewed it really well, not a surprise as he is a national award winner in critics.

The thing people are not realizing is that even Preethi is kind of a nutcase, not just Arjun/Kabir. I didn't like this scene but when the first time Arjun kisses Preethi, she doesn't say anything...she doesn't oppose it. Infact, it's pretty clear from the movie that she likes being dominated by Arjun. The guy is topper of the batch, handsome, good at sports, filthy rich...pretty much most of the girls in college in India would fall for a guy like that...it's not some unrealistic scenario or anything. The one scene which I didn't really like was him going to class and warning other students about Preethi being his girl...I felt this one could have been dealt in a better way.

When I saw it in Telugu, I was pretty sure that it would work even better in Hindi. These kind of movies have much better reach in Hindi than in regional languages. Looks like it might even end up as highest grossing Hindi movie of the year. Vijay has gotten pretty good cult following after this movie...wouldn't be surprised if the same happens with Shahid too. T

On the whole, it's a pretty good movie despite having some issues, I personally loved Shiva (hero's friend character) and Arjun's grandma a lot in Arjun Reddy. The guy was so much fun, his conversations with Arjun were really fun. Movie also had some great music. It's fitting that even Arjun Reddy music director is also a big nutcase irl.

I saw Arjun Reddy with English subtitles yesterday. I must have lost a lot in translation but the first half showing the girl in  college was a misogynistic cringe fest.

It was like the girl was in a hostage situation with no option but to follow the guys dictates. Not one scene showed her even liking it .The reaction of the other students when he was around was also the same as one would behave when they are **** scared. The whole college part was pretty sick .

To top it,the guy had the gall to lecture another guy on objectifying women.

Showing an actress who has body guards working for her, ironing his clothes as a sign of a woman caring for a man...which world do these people live in .

Forget the misogyny...even otherwise the movie was pretty silly .

The guy is a top surgeon while being drunk and on dope.really. 

The girl has the gall to tell her parents she had sex with the guy hundreds of  times but meekly gets married against her will.....and then magically gets her power back to walk out her marriage 3 days later.

Grandma dies and the guy who is drunk and drugged the whole day suddenly turns a new leaf and is all good.

What a load of bs!

It is a masala movie made to cater to the demands of guys who think toxic masculinity is the right and cool thing to have.

^^ yes, the movie is made by a man, and men have watched it making it popular. I don't know the obsession with smoking and drinking. In every scene, he is either smoking or drinking and we have to accept him to be a topper and a top surgeon. The director or writer has no clue what makes it to be a doctor. Her family and his father  are shown as one dimensional with no emotion, helps to build a story. 

The misogyny is normalized in most movies, esp coming from south India. The worst was telling her whom to make friends with, facking control freak.

2 hours ago, beetle said:

It does normalize it if heroes are shown doing it . It desensitizes people.

Not really.  So, Gangs of Wasseypur normalized violence and the behavior it had?  Same way Judwa normalized smacking ass of girls?  There are such examples of many other films.  Films do not sensitize or desensitize people.  Films are films, more fiction and less reality, just watch them as films.  You can like and dislike a film that is subjective but films are not a class of moral science and should not be judged with that parameter.    

34 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Not really.  So, Gangs of Wasseypur normalized violence and the behavior it had?  Same way Judwa normalized smacking ass of girls?  There are such examples of many other films.  Films do not sensitize or desensitize people.  Films are films, more fiction and less reality, just watch them as films.  You can like and dislike a film that is subjective but films are not a class of moral science and should not be judged with that parameter.    

I believe India is not a matured society to say movies don't have an impact. That's why we have different ratings even in the west. There is a PG, PG-13 (which is now having some profanity as well) and R. India there is U , and A. But college kids go to all movies including A. But 13 year old going to movies and seeing heroes smoking, drinking and treating women like how they do in movies, will build a society that we see now in the news more likely. 

On 6/28/2019 at 7:09 PM, rkt.india said:

GAW normalised the use of disgusting maa behan gaalis in mainstream cinema and tv.

That itself is so many steps backwards.

Just because people abuse does not mean it should become part of mainstream entertainment.

If people copied the violence ,they would end up in jail . Not  everything is easily copied...but it does desensitize people.

On the other hand ,the toxic misogyny seen in Arjun Reddy is easily copied without too many consequences. If not acting like him,supporting guys like him or such behavior is such a huge step backwards.

Such movies make guys believe that girls are properties and can be treated this way because in the end she will accept and enjoy.

This is where stalking ,sexual harrassment , acid attacks happen.

When guys realise that their stalking and harassment is not resulting in the girl accepting them and their sick demands, they feel offended because in their head they are entitled to the girl,her body, her thoughts,her belief...everything because she is just his property and he can do what he wants.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/unable-handle-rejection-22-yr-old-stabs-woman-mangaluru-act-caught-cam-104517

This is an example of an entitled toxic male.

Another sick example of toxic male behavior. Brothers cutting sister to size for doing better at studies...

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/lucknow/for-excelling-in-studies-sitapur-teen-raped-by-cousins-and-teacher/articleshow/70007178.cms

Edited by beetle

On 6/28/2019 at 6:38 AM, coffee_rules said:

^^ yes, the movie is made by a man, and men have watched it making it popular. I don't know the obsession with smoking and drinking.

this is so not true lol...most of the girls are loving the movie. A movie doesn't become such a big hit just because only men watch it

People are really delusional if they think a movie can become such a big hit with only guys watching it...Shahid isn't some star hero or anything...for a movie like that to become such a huge blockbuster, it's pretty obvious that even girls are liking the movie. Not denying that there aren't some questionable scenes in the movie but the thing is most of the girls I have seen on social media also seem to be liking it. So yeah this movie becoming a big success doesn't have anything to do with only guys watching it.

Edited by upriser7

Saw Tamil movie Super Deluxe on Netflix. Whatta movie :hatsoff:

guys like @Pollack who probably form opinions watching setmax dubbed South Indian movies need to watch movies like this.

The apparently new age Bollywood filmmakers like Anurag Kashyap cite a lot of these filmmakers as inspiration and most of these South makers and Anurag Kashyap are inspired by Tamil filmmakers like Bala

And @Ankit_sharma03 if you think Zero was a great movie than you haven’t seen these kind of movies yet. 

Btw I am not a tamilian neither am I producer of this movie :laugh: I watched it myself on Netflix with subtitles but sure I can understand Tamil. However fantastic movie

also tagging @vvvslaxman @velu @The Dark Horse @Stan AF

Edited by maniac