ICC World T20, 2012 SriLanka

Feed

ICC World T20, 2012 SriLanka  

1. 1.

T20 doesn't need skill, intelligence: Ranatunga http://www.wisdenindia.com/t20-doesnt-need-skill-intelligence-ranatunga

I always felt that with T20, it is all about the power rather than the talent and the mind controlling the game. ItÃÔ entertainment. I wonÃÕ say stop T20, but priority has to be given to Test cricket and one-day cricket. In T20, you have to take instant decisions and even if you lose, people will say thatÃÔ the way it goes. You donÃÕ need intelligence for T20, you donÃÕ need talent for T20. You donÃÕ need skills for T20. You need only power and a strong head. I am very scared that if we implement this at the junior level, we will lose proper cricket. India might have won a World T20, Pakistan might have won a World T20, but give a little time and ultimately, T20 will be ruled by those with power rather than those with skill. ThatÃÔ my issue with it. I personally feel that Under-15s should not play T20. At the Under-19 level, because of the World Cups, we might have to bring in T20 but we should know where to draw the line. You should not sacrifice Test cricket. We Asians like quick results. We prefer to go to a movie with music and dancing rather than watch a classic. Twenty20 is like that. A couple of years back, I went to an Under-12 schools championship. I met this kid who was about eight, and I asked him what his favourite shot was. Á¶ncle, Dilscoop? was the answer. I got so angry, I told him that is not a cricket shot. He said, Áºou donÃÕ know uncle, Dilshan plays that shot? I told the father, donÃÕ allow him to watch any of the short versions. Get videos of Sunil Gavaskar batting, David Gower batting, Geoff Boycott batting. We should understand these are kids, they are not mature enough. When it is nice and different, they tend to follow those things. We need to understand that, we need to educate them. Apart from that, I have no issues with T20 cricket.
He has a point but ...........
Yes, I miss cricket but whenever I get the opportunity, I watch a little bit. I donÃÕ go to the ground but if I go to someoneÃÔ house for lunch during my political day and if a match is on, I will take my plate and sit in front of the TV for at least half an hour.
Potlu! :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
A couple of years back, I went to an Under-12 schools championship. I met this kid who was about eight, and I asked him what his favourite shot was. öncle, Dilscoop? was the answer. I got so angry, I told him that is not a cricket shot. He said, úou donÃÕ know uncle, Dilshan plays that shot?
:hysterical:
You donÃÕ need intelligence for T20, you donÃÕ need talent for T20. You donÃÕ need skills for T20. You need only power and a strong head.
How contradictory? Every form of cricket needs a certain skill set without which once cannot be successful.