Microsoft v/s Apple

EnterTheVoid

My MacBook Pro from 6-7 years back is still running fine. Considering that my wife has run through 3 Windows machines in that time, I can't even see the cost benefit of purchasing a Windows machine. And LOL at people saying Microsoft used to make crap in the 90s - piece of sh!t Vista is barely what 4 years back. In the last 20 years, Microsoft has dished out one piece of sh!t OS after another and the fact that people rave about XP and Windows 7 for not being as crappy as others is testimony to it.

My MacBook Pro from 6-7 years back is still running fine. Considering that my wife has run through 3 Windows machines in that time, I can't even see the cost benefit of purchasing a Windows machine.
How is it that only Mac users somehow find their Windows machine to be lasting only 2-3 years? A decent laptop costs in the range of 40K. If on average these machines lasted just 2-3 years, very few people would be buying laptops in the first place. If a laptop gives way in 2 years its an exception and not the rule. Most laptops get by 5 years and most desktops give 6-7 years on average. With assembled desktops there is even more value for money considering that you can keep the machine up to date by just replacing the outdated components every few years. The overall money spent is still very low compared to buying a Mac.

How is it that only Mac users somehow find their Windows machine to be lasting only 2-3 years? A decent laptop costs in the range of 40K. If on average these machines lasted just 2-3 years, very few people would be buying laptops in the first place. If a laptop gives way in 2 years its an exception and not the rule. Most laptops get by 5 years and most desktops give 6-7 years on average. With assembled desktops there is even more value for money considering that you can keep the machine up to date by just replacing the outdated components every few years. The overall money spent is still very low compared to buying a Mac.
Admittedly, those laptops were not top of the line $1000+ ones, but around the $500-600 range. The screen died on one of them and recently replaced one because it was becoming quite slow. First one lasted 2 years, the second one around 4 years and the third one is about a year old now.

Microsoft made PCs possible. Despite all the cr@p they have produced' date=' no one can dispute the fact that without MS computers will still be something only the elite could afford to buy or use.[/quote'] They control 95% of the market. Apple is not going to change that .They are already changing their stance on "mac can never get virus" after 600,000 macs were attacked by flashback malware. Before-After1.png

Admittedly' date=' those laptops were not top of the line $1000+ ones, but around the $500-600 range. The screen died on one of them and recently replaced one because it was becoming quite slow. First one lasted 2 years, the second one around 4 years and the third one is about a year old now.[/quote'] I'm also talking about the 500-600$ range as these are the laptops which cost close to 30-40K in India. Most of the Inspiron and some models in the Studio lineup. Did you have a warranty on the first one? Screens are easily replaceable. In SP road, there are guys who do it for 3-4K.

Come onnnn' date=' is that even a fair comparison wrt Macbook Pro ?[/quote'] Not making a head to head comparison but for what it's worth my usage of the MacBook Pro would be many more times more for work, programming, and remote connections whereas my wife uses hers to browse the internet and email.

I'm also talking about the 500-600$ range as these are the laptops which cost close to 30-40K in India. Most of the Inspiron and some models in the Studio lineup. Did you have a warranty on the first one? Screens are easily replaceable. In SP road, there are guys who do it for 3-4K.
Repair costs are much higher in the US - don't think you will be able to get a screen replaced here for anything less than $300-400.

Recent Exerience Hp Pavillion 55K battery gone in 2 years Dell Vostro 1400 50k working fine since 3 years Sony Vaio 55 k lose screen hinges extremely slow in 2 years PowerBook G4 1000 usd battery replacement after 6 years MacBook Pro 1100 usd works like a charm after 2.5 years

Not making a head to head comparison but for what it's worth my usage of the MacBook Pro would be many more times more for work' date=' programming, and remote connections whereas my wife uses hers to browse the internet and email.[/quote'] Ditto! I use my MBP about 16 hours a day for some heavy computational tasks.

Repair costs are much higher in the US - don't think you will be able to get a screen replaced here for anything less than $300-400.
Always better to go for the full 3 year warranty that dell offers. It guarantees a working laptop for the entire period and the amount pays for itself, even if one component goes bad. My optical drive had gone bad and they came to my home and replaced it. Didnt face any other issues with it though.

Recent Exerience Hp Pavillion 55K battery gone in 2 years Dell Vostro 1400 50k working fine since 3 years Sony Vaio 55 k lose screen hinges extremely slow in 2 years PowerBook G4 1000 usd battery replacement after 6 years MacBook Pro 1100 usd works like a charm after 2.5 years
I never bought other PCS except DELL after my experience with compaq. Just one major failure since.. that was due to some electrical issues at home. But i could salvage it. Two exceptions though. Got Thinkpad Laptop T61P. It has been rock solid for the last 6 years. I have dropped it literally so many times on hard floor. Nothing happened. They make some mean business laptops. most recently Toshiba portege just for his super lightness. Excellent Laptop for the money. No problem for 2 or 3 years.

I run my office system - a Dell Optiplex 720 (3 year old system on WinXP) as an internal web server and also use it to pull some data from a 3rd party API which has been going on for the last 1 month non stop. Outlook, Chrome and 2 instances of Visual Studio also run on the machine and the CPU usage is always more than 70%. It hasnt crashed on me despite such heavy usage 24x7.

Well,not getting into the Mac Vs PC discussion..am no expert like some of you here. But I got a SONY VAIO for $1550 in 2003 and it ran for about 3 years after it had some power problem and was rendered useless.The next I bought was a Toshiba Satellite in 2006 for $650 and it died after 2 years exactly with some screen and mechanical issues. Not to mention the adwares,malware,virus,antivirus , bloatware,startup times etc I never wanted to buy a Mac but once I bought it I'll never go back to a PC. No issues whatsoever,great user experience and I can do everything in it that my PC did.

Apple products are great' date=' but they are insanely over-priced and simply not affordable by most people.[/quote'] Agree. The same is true for BMWs are great, but they are insanely over-priced and simply not affordable by most people. Grande pianos are great, but they are insanely over-priced and simply not affordable by most people. Bose speakers are great, but they are insanely over-priced and simply not affordable by most people. And these are all products that have thoughtful innovations, brilliant design and quality components which go into them.

Agree. The same is true for BMWs are great, but they are insanely over-priced and simply not affordable by most people. Grande pianos are great, but they are insanely over-priced and simply not affordable by most people. Bose speakers are great, but they are insanely over-priced and simply not affordable by most people. And these are all products that have thoughtful innovations, brilliant design and quality components which go into them.
Well, not sure they are comparable. I own two of the 3 items you have mentioned above, but still wouldn't spend my own money and buy a mac book pro cause there are decent alternatives which are cheaper. Ofc I have pretty much every other iProduct simply cause the alternatives frankly suck majorly.

Well' date=' not sure they are comparable. I own two of the 3 items you have mentioned above, but still wouldn't spend my own money and buy a mac book pro cause there are decent alternatives which are cheaper. Ofc I have pretty much every other iProduct simply cause the alternatives frankly majorly.[/quote'] Tu bada ameer banda hai yaar :dance:

Tu bada ameer banda hai yaar :dance:
Once you've owned Camrys and Corollas for a few years, you will see that Audis, Mercs and BMWs are next in line. :winky: Even though you get tired of Corollas and Camrys, you don't get tired of cheap PCs.

And LOL at people saying Microsoft used to make crap in the 90s - piece of sh!t Vista is barely what 4 years back. In the last 20 years' date=' Microsoft has dished out one piece of sh!t OS after another and the fact that people rave about XP and Windows 7 for not being as crappy as others is testimony to it.[/quote'] What were you trying to do with Widows, launch a space shuttle or something? Microsoft has the largest market share, that doesn't happen by releasing crap O/S'. Heck, most of your office computers are probably running Microsoft. Suppose all your work mates are idiots too, I take it :winky: