Operation Blue Star general stabbed in London

1983-2011

Retired general has been a hate-figure among Sikh militants for his role in the storming of the Golden Temple of Amritsar

A former high ranking Indian military officer who led the bloody 1984 operation to remove Sikh separatists from the Golden Temple in Amritsar is recovering after he was the target of a murder attempt during a visit to London at the weekend. Four men are being sought in connection with the attack on Sunday near Oxford Street in the centre of the city, the Metropolitan Police said in a statement on Monday. Lieutenant General Kuldeep Singh Brar, 78, was assaulted outside of his hotel and is now recovering following an operation, according to reports in the Indian media, which quoted the Indian High Commission in London. The retired general has been a hate-figure among Sikh militants for his role in the Indian army's storming of Sikhism's holiest shrine, the Golden Temple of Amritsar. The raid, codenamed Operation Blue Star, left an estimated 1,000 people dead although the numbers are disputed. Police in London said that they are keeping an open mind regarding the motive for the attack, which is being treated by investigators as attempted murder. Brar was left with serious injuries in Old Quebec Street near Marble Arch, which took place shortly before 10.40pm. One report by the Indian broadcaster, NDTV, quoted Brar's wife as saying: "We were walking down Oxford Circus at 10.30pm in the night. Three bearded men attacked him and tried to slash his throat. We cannot say if they were Sikh." She was said to have been pushed to the ground but was not injured. Brar underwent surgery and was due to return to India on Tuesday, the broadcaster added. The Met, which did not name Brar and made no suggestion that the attackers were Sikhs, said in a statement that it was appealing for information about the incident, which was described as attempted murder. The statement said that the victim suffered a wound to his neck from a knife or sharp implement. It described four men involved as wearing dark clothing and long black jackets. All had long beards while one was described as younger and slimmer than the other three. They fled in the direction of Oxford Street. Brar also took part in Indian's 1971 war with Pakistan and was reported to have been among the first Indian troops to have entered Dhaka.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/01/attempted-murder-indian-military-officer?newsfeed=true

Brar is a complete b****** for what he did in operation blue star just like the Gandhi family. Thousands of innocent people were killed during and after this dispicable attack. They completely destroyed the golden temple complex. What he did was the equivalent of attacking Mecca, Vatican City, Banaras. But there's no point in going after him now that he's a buda. Even his own uncle gave him death threats!

Brar is a complete b****** for what he did in operation blue star just like the Gandhi family. Thousands of innocent people were killed during and after this dispicable attack. They completely destroyed the golden temple complex. What he did was the equivalent of attacking Mecca, Vatican City, Banaras. But there's no point in going after him now that he's a buda. Even his own uncle gave him death threats!
So he should have not followed the orders

What was Brar supposed to do, he was under orders to clear the insurgents of the temple complex. If anything, you wonder why Bhindranwale and company barricaded themselves in the complex in the first place.
Yes I agree that what Bhindranwale did was not good but what the army did was inexcusable. Sending in bloody tanks! 1000s of innocent people died during the attack and it's aftermath. They could've just surrounded the golden temple for a few days and he probably would have surrendered. They also chose a day when there would be more worshippers than usual. Indira Gandhi was the real culprit in all of this, she is the one who used Bhindranwale to get back at her opponents in Punjab but then he became too powerful. She also did not get the president's backing before the attack, so she broke the constitution. Her family have been in power for 60 years and look what they've done for India. As for Brar he should just stay in his compound in Mumbai under protection if he values his life because incidents like this will happen, the same goes for 'supercop' KPS Gill.

It was four people v/s 1 80 year old man!
Exactly, things like this will happen. Brar and KPS Gill will (and have) get attacked if they go abroad there's no doubt about that. Indians are in practically every major country in the world that includes Sikhs. They are lucky that no one has done what happened to Beant Singh. KPS Gill is a vile creature. He made a silly move coming to London. I would like to put the past in the past. I think an apology from the government would end nearly everyone's grieviences. That along with prosecuting people like Tytler and Saajan Kumar. Having said that most Sikhs have moved on.

On what basis? (genuine question)
Hero of 1971 BD war. Hero of Operation Blue Star. Both these events are seminal in Indian history. Had either one of these gone wrong India would have been different today. Kudos to the man who led from the front on both. :hatsoff::hatsoff:

Hero of 1971 BD war. Hero of Operation Blue Star. Both these events are seminal in Indian history. Had either one of these gone wrong India would have been different today. Kudos to the man who led from the front on both. :hatsoff::hatsoff:
He is no hero for Operation Bluestar you muppet. Say that to the innocent people who were killed during the attack.

He is no hero for Operation Bluestar you muppet. Say that to the innocent people who were killed during the attack.
Not an expert on operation bluestar but saying that those who killed were inocents is gross propoganda, nothing else. Most of them were bloody militants and deserved to be killed. There might have been some collateral damage but then Indian government was forced to do so. There should be no sympathy for those who use religious places as their shield, be it Temple, Mosque, Church or GUruDwara. I find it surprising that people don't hold Bhindarawale responsible for what happened at Golden Temple. But I do agree that Sajjan Kuma and Tytler should be brought to justice for what they did in aftermath of Indira Gandhi assassination.

Not an expert on operation bluestar but saying that those who killed were inocents is gross propoganda, nothing else. Most of them were bloody militants and deserved to be killed. There might have been some collateral damage but then Indian government was forced to do so. There should be no sympathy for those who use religious places as their shield, be it Temple, Mosque, Church or GUruDwara. I find it surprising that people don't hold Bhindarawale responsible for what happened at Golden Temple. But I do agree that Sajjan Kuma and Tytler should be brought to justice for what they did in aftermath of Indira Gandhi assassination.
I'm one of the few Sikhs living in the west (though I'm not very religious) who also blames Bhindranwale as well as Indira. But sending in tanks was too much. There are better ways to deal with things. Like I said they could have just surrounded the place for a few days or weeks. It's not like the militants were holding hostages and threatening to kill them. All in all the whole operation was a blunder. What the army did that day alienated Sikhs and it is a wound that will take another 50-100 years to fully heal. And yes hundreds if not thousands of innocent worshippers were killed during the operation. Then in the aftermath of the event hundreds of thousands of people in Punjab (both Sikhs and Hindus) were killed or made to disappear in fake police encounters (led by KPS Gill) up until the early 1990s. It doesn't look like KPS Gill, Tytler or Kumar will ever be brought to justice, so things will only get better in the next 30 years or so when all are naturally dead.

Operation Blue Star stopped the worst terrorism in Indian history. End of story, end of discussion. Keep yapping though :finger:

I'm one of the few Sikhs living in the west (though I'm not very religious) who also blames Bhindranwale as well as Indira. But sending in tanks was too much. There are better ways to deal with things. Like I said they could have just surrounded the place for a few days or weeks. It's not like the militants were holding hostages and threatening to kill them. All in all the whole operation was a blunder. What the army did that day alienated Sikhs and it is a wound that will take another 50-100 years to fully heal. And yes hundreds if not thousands of innocent worshippers were killed during the operation. Then in the aftermath of the event hundreds of thousands of people in Punjab (both Sikhs and Hindus) were killed or made to disappear in fake police encounters (led by KPS Gill) up until the early 1990s. It doesn't look like KPS Gill, Tytler or Kumar will ever be brought to justice, so things will only get better in the next 30 years or so when all are naturally dead.
Common sense says, that is exactly a sign to go all out. And at the end, it ended the terrorism, so the outcome does kind of justify the means. You should not be too emotionaly attached to buildings and books, and just have faith in your faith. And that, I guess did survive.

HPFwxY9hiaY&feature=related Watch it with an open mind. It is a very balanced insight.

He is a great soldier who did what he was asked to do for his country.He is a brave soldier and a brave man more so because he fought against terrorists belonging to his own faith,That takes courage. As for the operation happening in a holy place...the blame lies iwiith the SGPC for allowing a holy place to become a terrorist fort.If any holy place becomes a hiding place for monsters who kill unarmed innocent people like they did in those days then that holy place is no longer holy. Blame the old farts at SGPC for the desecration instead of the hero who reclaimed the place from anti national terrorists. :isalute:Gen Brar for being a hero.Imagine fighting back against four armed *******s at the age of 78.Those *******s should go and drown themselves.