Sreesanth, Chandilla and Ankit Chavan arrested for spot fixing in IPL

21:40 Girls were present when Sreesanth was arrested: Cops: Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar today said women were present with cricketer S Sreeshanth and his friend Jiju when they were arrested for their alleged involvement in spot-fixing in IPL matches. "Girls were present with Sreesanth and Jiju. We also have information about others (players)," he said. Asked whether a honey trap was used in cricket, he said it was an open secret and such tactics are part of all big sports.
Why are these cops still talking about the woman angle now?
Well, lets just get one thing straight. Match fixing, especially in the sub continental teams, was a banality in the 90s. Pretty much every one fixed games back then, nearly almost every one. So imagine yourself being a new player who recently got into the team – you see established seniors casually fixing matches as a hobby and there are zero consequences. It is natural for you to think – hmmm.. this is incredibly easy money.. everyone around me is doing it.. and no one is getting caught.. Interesting.. It is a bit like all those Indian students who are applying for student visas to the come the US. There’s this big myth that the visa officers need to see a tons of money in your bank account so there are now these agents who will transfer significant amount of money to your account temporarily for a fee, which is later shown as an asset by the student applicant. Everyone knows this is at best inappropriate, at worst, probably illegal. But when the majority does it and gets away with it, the fear of repercussions simply melts away and it becomes a common practice.
Precisely. When you see everyone around you getting away with it, then the fear of being caught disappears and you just look to get as much cash, cars, women etc. as you can
Yes, if executed immaculately, match fixing can be impossible to prove. To begin with, as a player you create multiple anonymous links between you and the bookie. This way, even if a one of the links in the chain is caught, they are not in a position to tell law-enforcement who to go after as a follow-up. Salman Butt clearly did not learn his lesson during his ‘match-fixing for dummies’ course and ended up using his own agent as middleman. Reg the money-trail, in today’s world of electronic transfers and offshore accounts, it is nigh on impossible to trace the money and link to the appropriate party. But clearly, these guys are so un-sophisticated, they chose to deal with in cash. And in Butt’s case, the police were able to link the notes that were handed to the bookie by NOTW’s reporter directly to the currencies found in Butt’s room. There cannot be a bigger implication than that. If you are going to fix games – there are 3 key elements you need to follow. 1)The circle of people who know about this must be as small as possible. This way, some low-level bookie rounded up by law-enforcement in an unrelated operation is not in a position to spill some beans and trigger police suspicion on you. 2) Make it as hard as possible for the police to link you to the book-makers (no phone calls, no texts, no meetings and 3) create untraceable money trails (no direct deposits, cash transfers)
Bitcoin! :woot:
I have a bit different perspective of all this. It might not be the right time to feel sad for any of the "fixers" but therr should be time in the history of match fixing that a player would have been forced to fix a match without having any choice since he might have been contacted by some big goon or bookie who could put player's life in trouble if he goes on to say "No" Practically speaking, if someone ask you to smuggle something, and you say "No" to it, then you can't just go freely to your house. The goon would probably would not like you to go easily since there is a chance you might contact the police and let them know about the event and get the guys caught. Similarly, one of these guys, might have been put in a situation. Someone like Chandila or Ankeet Chavan. Yes, they have accepted the fixing charges but their might be lot of hidden realit ot it which we might not know now. Let's wait a bit before slashing out these guys.
I see where you are coming from. But then what about Hodge and Rahane? How could they choose not to do it while 3 of their teammates did?
Player stupidity? are you kidding me? its pure greed' date='these guys have privileged jobs(especially now with IPL paying even fringe players handsomely)but they want more and are willing to cheat to get it.[/quote'] You could bowl a rubbish over without breaking sweat.. 40 lakhs for that? Mistake they made was they never thought they would be caught. Sreesanth probably knows more than anybody he could make more money by playing IPL. But ease with which he could make 40 or 50 lakhs probably lured him into doing that.

I think sreesanth has weaknesses with women. He dated as many as 4 or 5 girls in 4 or 5 years i think. More than the money that could be one reason. In a sensational revelation it was learnt that the Rajasthan Royals players, who were allegedly involved in spot-fixing in IPL, were supplied with women by the bookies. According to TV reports, the transcript of the taped conversations between the players and the bookies revealed that the bookies used to arrange women for those players involved in spot-fixing. It was learnt that two bookies, Manan and Chand, "arranged" women for Sreesanth and Ajit Chandila on at least three occasions.

I wrote this on icf when the whole Butt-Asif-Aamer saga broke out -

April 21, 2011. In related news, former fixing legends Salim Malik and Javed Miandad held their parallel workshop in Lahore, educating upcoming Pakistani cricketers on how to fix games without getting caught. Lessons include tips on how to effectively liaison with book-makers, establishing communication channels that cannot be tapped by law enforcement officials and operating without middlemen so that you can avoid paying commission. Speaking at the ribbon-cutting ceremony, Salim Malik said ‘Bismillah ar-Rahman ar-Raheem. Thanks is to Allah there has been a great demand for course. Our yengsters are coming from all parts of Pakistan to attend. We have had such a huge reception, we plan to open branches in other parts of Pakistan like Karachi, Islamabad, Quetta, Birmingham etc..’. Former Pakistan captain and cheater-in-chief Salman Butt was the marquee speaker at the event. Speaking to reporters afterwards, he said ‘Salim bhai and Javed doing great work. If such courses were available before, It would have greatly benefited cricketers like me and I would have never got caught..’ He especially recommended all cricketers to take the limited edition captaincy-special course, which had specific tips for future aspiring captains saying ‘This course helps you to avoid things as captain.. See next time, I will know never to recruit a yengster like Aamir. He got nervous and overstepped by 3 miles.. A season pro like Asif bhai, he oversteps only by an inch and nobody is suspicious..’ Prices for the course start at 200 gallons of insecticide. You can either register online, or by going out in the open and firing 4 rounds in the air with your Kalashnikov, with a 10 second gap between each round.
http://indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?p=1456674post1456674 Sadly, we now have to come up with an Indian equivalent for this. :((