He is so good, that he goes totally unnoticed

Ram

He is so good, that he goes totally unnoticed  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

I know this may sound a bit premature, but me thinks Dhoni is the BEST Indian keeper, EVER and just in case you had some doubts, no no, I am not high. Having endured the pain of watching lead-laden glove work by street-class players like Deep Dasgupta, MSK Prasad, Parthiv Patel, Sameer Dighe and to an extent even Karthik, I sometimes rub my eyes in disbelief as i watch MSD gobble up one catch after another like he was born to do so. And the only name i left out from the list, Nayan Mongia, couldnt dive to even save his life, let alone take a catch. If they were Athletic, like Karthik is, they had terrible glove-work, often mistaking cricket balls for hand grenades. Dhoni is an amazing amalgam of what a keeper should be. He is athletic, reliable against spinners and rarely misses regulation catches. In fact, the ONLY chance i remember him missing in the entire series so far has been the stumping opportunity down the leg-side when Symmonds was batting in the first innings of the second test. Even that was VERY VERY hard. And to just put things in perspective, one of the world's most prolific keepers, Adam Gilchrist himself had dropped many sitters in the second test. Dhoni is the best thing that has happened to Indian cricket in the last 3 years ! _41506614_dhoni416.jpg

KKD was a better wicket keeper. And he could have improved even further. But making him field at all other positions, means, yes his keeping has been messed up and - at present MSD is the best we've got. BEST Indian keeper, EVER ? Probably not. Wasn't Syed Kirmani very very good?

Brilliant observations MM. Dhoni's wicket-keeping skills have always been overshadowed by his bam bam Batting abilities. In this test match, he was exceptional. The catch he took of Michael Hussey was by no means a easy catch, he judged it to perfection. Also, he has kept the wickets of Anil Kumble pretty neatly. WK that appeared before Dhoni, struggle keeping when AK came on to bowl (Nayan Mongia was exceptional when it came to keeping when AK was in the attack).

yeah ... that we never talk abt his keeping tells u the entire story ... I strong believe he has it in him to average 40+ in tests ... he has enormous self belief and a strong can do attitude. I would like to see him play at least one strong innings in the available 3 innings in this series. He has far too much ability with the bat to go unnoticed over 4 tests

Marirs, as u mentioned, it is indeed premature and hence i have not voted.... i havent voted no either, because it might be possible he could be the best ever... i really like the way he has improved in the last 1 year... i have watched Kirmani and till date, i still feel he was the best just because he did what dhoni is doing over a longer period..... i also felt, sadanand vishwanath could have gone on to be the all time best keeper we ever had.... sadly he lost his way... thts wat , i want to see about Dhoni.... can he go on for another 3-4 yrs delivering the same kind of performance... of the second stringers, i was really impressed with MSK Prasad.... he had an excellent keeping technique and reflexes.... he had very good talent, but sadly he was dumped due to politics....

Marirs' date=' as u mentioned, it is [b']indeed premature and hence i have not voted....
same way it is premature to talk abt our fast bowlers being too good. They (MSD, fast bowlers) all doing reasonably good, but need to maintain this. Real test will be on tracks that keep low (for MSD), and tracks that dont assist them as much as perth for fast bowlers
Guest dada_rocks

Give him time guys he knows how to play withtin himself.. if nto given the howlers in last innings he wud have done some serious damage looked well in command.. reat thign abotu this lad is willingness to learn and self-belief.. remeber in beginning he was considered stiff behond wicket someone who comes of as forced keeper.. Give him time in years to come there will be dhoni and then daylight then the rest I am talking about complete pakcage keeping+batting.... as far as just keeping is concerned my vote gotes to the best ever Sadanand Vishwanath

Give him time guys he knows how to play withtin himself.. if nto given the howlers in last innings he wud have done some serious damage looked well in command.. reat thign abotu this lad is willingness to learn and self-belief.. remeber in beginning he was considered stiff behond wicket someone who comes of as forced keeper.. Give him time in years to come there will be dhoni and then daylight then the rest I am talking about complete pakcage keeping+batting.... as far as just keeping is concerned my vote gotes to the best ever Sadanand Vishwanath
SV was good! Very good! But I think Syed Kirmani will be a serious contender for best ever.

sriram...don't know who you've been watching but nayan mongia was smooth as silk and was good at diving catches...Dhoni still needs to prove himself on raging turners as his footwork lacks a little. But he's improved so much and what's most important is his attitude towards it all. He is the best thing to happen to Indian cricket, along with the removal of Greg Chappel

DAY II HIGHLIGHTS

With 165 catches, Rahul Dravid went past Brian Lara on Thursday. Only Mark Waugh (181), among non wicket-keepers, has more catches than him in Tests

Michael Hussey scored the first duck of his career in his 34th Test innings Mitchell Johnson (4/86) achieved his best figures in Tests. His previous best was also versus India (3/21) in Melbourne Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s five catches in the innings was the first time an Indian wicketkeeper claimed five in an innings against Australia. It was also the first time Dhoni accounted for five dismissals in an innings. He became only the fifth Indian wicket keeper to claim five or more victims in an innings in a Test. The full list is as follows: 6 — S. Kirmani vs NZ (in Christchurch, 1975-76) 5 — S. Kirmani vs Pak (in Faisalabad, 1982-83) 5 — B.K. Kunderan vs Eng (in Brabourne, 1961-62) 5 — N. Mongia vs Pak (in Calcutta, 1998-99) 5 — N. Mongia vs SA (in Kingsmead, 1996-97) 5 — K. More vs WI (in Chepauk, 1987-88) 5 — M.S. Dhoni vs Aus (in Perth, 2007-08) Anil Kumble’s 600th wicket was “c Dravid b Kumbleâ€. Dravid has taken maximum of 54 catches of the bowling of Kumble Kumble is the oldest of the three bowlers to reach the 600 wicket mark. At 37 years and 92 days, Kumble is ahead of Warne, who was 35 years 336 days and Muttiah Muralidharan 33 years 328 days when they reached the 600 milestone. Kumble effected his 32nd caught and bowled when he dismissed Shaun Tait. He now holds the record for most c&b going past Muralidharan (31). Since January 1, 2000, India have been able to take a 100-plus run lead against Australia only on four occasions. The instances: 110-run lead in Chennai (2000-01) 231-run lead in Sydney (2003-04) 141-run lead in Chennai (2004-05) 118-run lead in Perth (2007-08) Since January 2000, Australia have appeared in 90 Tests and conceded lead on 20 occasions (including this one). The last time Australia conceded a lead of 100-plus runs was against Bangladesh at Fatullah (April 2006) The last time Australia conceded a 100-plus run in Perth was against New Zealand in 2000-01. In that match NZ took a 183-run lead, with the match ending in a draw. COMPILED BY MOHANDAS MENON http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080118/jsp/sports/story_8797577.jsp