'Hindization' - Passports to be in both English and HINDI: Sushma Swaraj

Rohit S. Ambani

3 hours ago, gattaca said:

Majority of Indians speak Hindhi. Their is nothing in consitution. It is spoken widely in India hopefully drives some sense.

:rofl::rofl::hysterical:

utsTNas.jpg

Percentage of People Speaking Primary Languages In India [Source -NCLM]

"Other linguistic minorities in the state were Urdu (10.54%), Telugu (7.03%), Tamil (3.57%), Marathi (3.6%), Tulu (3.0%), Hindi (2.56%), Konkani (1.46%), Malayalam (1.33%) and Kodava Takk (0.3%)." Stats as of 2001.  - Wiki

24 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

WTF did I just read. The majority of Indians speak English. #LowIQKaSideEffects:rotfl:

Indian subcontinent speaks hundreds of regional vernaculars. Amid this Babel, English remains the India's only lingua franca.

Most of the hostility to English these days comes from regional or language chauvinists who condemn it as a Trojan horse of Globalisation.

1 minute ago, Rohit S. Ambani said:

Indian subcontinent speaks hundreds of regional vernaculars. Amid this Babel, English remains the India's only lingua franca.

Most of the hostility to English these days comes from regional or language chauvinists who condemn it as a Trojan horse of Globalisation.

I don't care about the Indian subcontinent. We're talking about India. The majority of Indians don't speak English, which is what I was laughing at.

I'm not for Hindi as a single national language. 

You call people who are hostile towards English as regional chauvinists.  They can just as easily call you an English chauvinist for promoting a language that only maybe 10-15 percent of the people speak as a language, and probably less than 1 percent speak as a primary language. On the other hand, Hindi is spoken by a majority of Indians.  It's laughable to say English is a lingua franca of India. 

IF one were to say there is a lingua franca in India, it is Hindi as the majority of migration happens into Indian states where Hindi is understood as a primary/secondary language. 

migrant_table.png

There are many arguments against English imposition in India, some strong, some weak. Pretending that people who are against English imposition are paranoid or regional chauvinists shows the weakness of the pro-English argument.

I will plug a book for the open-minded to read:

The English Medium Myth by Sankrant Sanu.   

10 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

I don't care about the Indian subcontinent. We're talking about India. The majority of Indians don't speak English, which is what I was laughing at.

I'm not for Hindi as a single national language. 

You call people who are hostile towards English as regional chauvinists.  They can just as easily call you an English chauvinist for promoting a language that only maybe 10-15 percent of the people speak as a language, and probably less than 1 percent speak as a primary language. On the other hand, Hindi is spoken by a majority of Indians.  It's laughable to say English is a lingua franca of India. 

IF one were to say there is a lingua franca in India, it is Hindi as the majority of migration happens into Indian states where Hindi is understood as a primary/secondary language. 

migrant_table.png

There are many arguments against English imposition in India, some strong, some weak. Pretending that people who are against English imposition are paranoid or regional chauvinists shows the weakness of the pro-English argument.

I will plug a book for the open-minded to read:

The English Medium Myth by Sankrant Sanu.   

I just posted a image above showing Hindi is NOT spoken as majority in India.

Have you been to Andhara ? Kerala? TN ? KA? Their primary language is NOT Hindi, Telugu/Malayalam/Kannada is 1st language then English.

What language are we speaking in this forum now?  Hindi or English?

People  prefer English because we are not only speaking within India, as well as in companies, Clients and to other countries in this world for work and living. Hindi gives ZERO important for living.

Every educational medium is English and we learn them so we are not left behind in this world.

Can you point out where Hindi is majorly spoken in Countries other than India ?

If i know only Hindi and Tamil in TN, I won't get a job or any employment for the education i had.

Even if i get one, they won't recruit me for the next company but if i know English and Tamil, I can speak to my employees in every part of this world and speak in Tamil to people of TN state where I'm leaving right now.

When i go to Delhi to stay for 2-3 years, I will have to learn Hindi so i can communicate to people of Delhi. Am i imposing Tamil to people of Delhi ? No. I'm adapting to it -> Simple right?

Same way don't impose Hindi.

Edited by StriKe

BJP has to grow out of this mentality of Hindi, Hindu imposition. Just focus on development and governance and leave the bull sh!t which will not help anyone. If you want Hindi in passport, it should be a choice. You can speak Hindi with people who know the language. You dont have a right to demand other people to learn your language just because you are more in numbers in the country. Consequences will not be very pleasing.

My mother tongue is not Hindi but there is nothing wrong with promoting Hindi as it is spoken and understood by most 

It is strange that many in Ind are ready to accept and learn Eng, which has no native connection to Ind, but have problems with Hindi, which is one of the native languages widely spoken and undeestood by many  

3 minutes ago, zen said:

My mother tongue is not Hindi but there is nothing wrong with promoting Hindi as it is spoken and understood by most 

It is strange that many in Ind are ready to accept and learn Eng, which has no native connection to Ind, but have problems with Hindi, which is one of the native languages widely spoken and undeestood by many  

Like other Indo-Aryan languages, Hindi is considered to be a direct descendant of an early form of Sanskrit, through Sauraseni Prakrit and Śauraseni Apabhraṃśa. It has been influenced by Dravidian languages, Turkic languages, Persian, Arabic, Portuguese and English.

7 minutes ago, StriKe said:

Like other Indo-Aryan languages, Hindi is considered to be a direct descendant of an early form of Sanskrit, through Sauraseni Prakrit and Śauraseni Apabhraṃśa. It has been influenced by Dravidian languages, Turkic languages, Persian, Arabic, Portuguese and English.

Many languages in the world are influenced by other languages. Iirc, Latin and Sanskrit are considered to be the umbrella languages. Some Scandividian lang may have influenced languages in Northern Europe as well

English has been influened by languages such as French, Latin, German, etc

Edited by zen

4 minutes ago, zen said:

Many languages in the world are influenced by other languages. Iirc, Latin and Sanskrit are considered to be the umbrella languages. Some Scandividian lang may have influenced languages in Northern Europe as well

English has been influened by languages such as French, Latin, German, etc, as well  

Same way, we have our own languages in South, Tamil is older than Hindi. Why impose Hindi on us?  We should just forget our regional language and learn Hindi?

Shall we force Malayalam/Tamil/Telugu/Kannada in Delhi/Punjab/MP/MH ?

Edited by StriKe

7 minutes ago, StriKe said:

Same way, we have our own languages in South, Tamil is older than Hindi. Why impose Hindi on us?  We should just forget our regional language and learn Hindi?

Why would be a Punjabi or Marathi learn Tamil or Malayalam?  

They have accepted Hindi as their 2nd language and over a period of time,  it will be accepted in other regions too. 

Hindi is to India what English is to the World,  not spoken everywhere but the only common alternative to one single binding language .

18 minutes ago, StriKe said:

Same way, we have our languages in South, Tamil is older than Hindi. Why impose Hindi on us?  We should just forget our regional language and learn Hindi?

We should not equate promoting Hindi being equal to making people forget their native language. If people forgot there native languages due to impact of other languages on a regular basis, we would all be speaking Eng only due to the influence of British 

My mother tongue is Gujarati. I would be tempted to promote it over Hindi but I realize that it is not as widely spoken and/or understood as Hindi is. Like Gujarati, there are languages such as Bengali, Marathi, Punjabi, etc, which are key languages too but ppl of these states may not consider promoting Hindi being equal to marginalizing their language

Similarly, if we are talking about a global language, Eng would gain support. I don't think Chinese would object to the use of Eng at international level as an attempt to make people in China forget Mandarin. Cantonese is widely spoken in China as well

Edited by zen

1 minute ago, rageaddict said:

Why would be a Punjabi or Marathi learn Tamil or Malayalam?  

They have accepted Hindi as their 2nd language and over a period of time,  it will be accepted in other regions too. 

Hindi is to India what English is to the World,  not spoken everywhere but the only common alternative to one single binding language .

Same why should Malayali or Tamil learn Hindi ?

So basically we are destroying Punjabi and Marathi as language from our Country which is what unique to our country.

Next is we will destroying their culture swell as?

That's we prefer to keep growing our Tamil Language and our culture safety.

Hindi is to India

Not for South Indian states, Please check History.

We prefer English which has puropose to our living than learning another 3rd language which has no use for us.

1 minute ago, zen said:

We should not equate promoting Hindi being equal to making people forget their language. If people forgot there native languages, we would all be speaking Eng only due to the influence of British 

My mother tongue is Gujarati. I would be tempted to promote it over Hindi but I realize that it is not as widely spoken and/or understood as Hindi is. Like Gujarati, there are languages such as Bengali, Marathi, etc, which are key languages too but ppl of these states may not consider promoting Hindi being equal to marginalizing their language

Similarly, if we are talking about a global language, Eng would gain support. I don't think Chinese would object to the use of Eng at international level as an attempt to make people in China forget Mandarin. In fact Cantonese is widely spoken in China as well

People are not forgetting their native language here, Native is spoken as mother tongue. They are being taught when they are born. In other post, 95% people speak and understand Hindi, I don't how he pulled that stats out of his ass. Just take a walk in streets of KA/AP/KL/TN no one speaks Hindi as much.

I would be tempted to promote it over Hindi but I realize that it is not as widely spoken and/or understood as Hindi

This is mistake you're doing, You will not be teaching Gujarati to your generations, eventually later in generations, Known language is lost and completely forgotten. We are just destroying ourself.

English is taught as surviving language. If i move out of India, English helps not Hindi.

Imposing things will lead to disturbance of peace and violence, History as taught us.

Note that a google search will show that both Hindi and English are official languages of the union government

I would add that name Bharat should be more widely used to officially represent the country than "India" 

10 minutes ago, StriKe said:

This is mistake you're doing, You will not be teaching Gujarati to your generations, eventually later in generations, Known language is lost and completely forgotten. We are just destroying ourself.

If I m leaving in Gujarat, I would .... In my family, people speak / understand 3-5 languages depending upon whom you meet - Gujarati, Eng, Hindi, Punjabi, and French

I would like to learn Sanskrit and Latin, when I get time 

4 minutes ago, zen said:

If I m leaving in Gujarat, I would .... In my family, people speak / understand 3-5 languages depending upon whom you meet - Gujarati, Eng, Hindi, Punjabi, and French

I would like to learn Sanskrit and Latin, when I get time 

Cool :nice: Learning language should be optional not enforced or imposed.

In late 1964, an attempt was made to expressly provide for an end to the use of English, but it was met with protests from states such as Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Punjab, West Bengal, Karnataka, Puducherry and Andhra Pradesh. Some of these protests also turned violent.[13] As a result, the proposal was dropped,

This is what happens when you force something against their wish. Example beef ban in Kerala.

5 minutes ago, StriKe said:

Cool :nice: Learning language should be optional not enforced or imposed.

This is what happens when you force something against their wish. Example beef ban in Kerala.

I don't see this as an exercise to force things on ppl

As I mentioned in one of the posts - Eng and Hindi are already official lang of the union government. In relation to this thread, there is no harm if the union govt feels the need to have both the lang on Bharati passports 

Edited by zen