Breaking News: Team Announced For Tri-Series

Prudent

Ganguly has been in bad form in ODI's thats news to me ...he was the 5th highest run getter in odis last yr , he just had one avg series ie against pakistan , moreover he was the only indian who was in the top 5 run getters in both the forms of the game , he is in form , you cant take out a player who is form ...simple rule in cricket. Running between wickets ...my foot ,and bad fielding wtf , as if other indian players are great . whenever sachin and ganguly have a good partnership , our chances of a win doubles up , and these two have been clicking more recently than failing. Moreover Dravid will be more successful in australia , than any of these youngsters , you need proper technique to survive there, we have seen what happened to Yuvi , our hero in india , turned into a big flop.

Why ganguly ? He has been the most successful batsman in the last few months.... Why him.....why not Tendulkar?
I'd rather have all our test players rested for this ODI series because within a week of return from Australia after the triseries, we'll be facing SA in another test series. So please rest: Jaffer Dravid Sachin Ganguly Laxman Dhoni Kumble RPS IS Zaheer is already resting. Harbhajan can play and Sehwag or Yuvi can be captain. Dhoni needs rest badly.

Just for the World Cup debalce alone .... Sachin,Saurav,Dravid should have gracefully retired from ODIs accepting responsibility. But ODIs are money spinners and these guys have huge marketing contracts....So they have to be forced out when in poor form or even performing avegingly

@OP I don't feel neccessity of such categoric threads, denouncing our ex-captain who has led us to many victories in past, not to mention his "tough" character against sledging bullies is an example for rest of the newbies to follow. Thing is that BCCI babus have realized that ODI team will be better minus Ganguly, so be it!!, there is no fun whatsoever in mocking Ganguly at selection committees decision, particularly when we know how "capable" Dhoni and Yuvraj are at Aussie pitches. Ganguly has led us to victory in many matches in past and he deserves a respectful farewell from at least we fans if not from babus of BCCI :(( let's respect our legends for we may not be able to see such great players like Dravid and Ganguly in future!!
this is the guy In Blue we are talking about.
Chandan, What will be ur ODI team against Aus? Basically you are ok with elimination from Tri series and Aus-SL to play finals? :D
I'll have the same team that we had in T20, except Dhoni as I'll rest him too since he has been playing non stop cricket from last one year. Also, I'll have Praveen Kumar for Yusuf Pathan and include Manoj Tiwari and Parthiv Patel too. And I'll be very happy if that team qualifies for the final. Even if not, it wouldn't pain me a bit!

Manoj Tiwari did not deserve a recall, They should have had badri in place of dravid at number 3, This team is going to struggle to play out 50 overs. You need a good steady innings people in the middle order. Ganguly I think knew he had been dropped already. He was not at all spirited in the 3rd Test

@beetle You had posted earlier in this thread that Tendulkar should have been dropped instead of Ganguly.....enuf said about how you think on cricket issues....Sachin DROPPED for ganguly in ODIs ????? LMAO
When did I say in place of... When Ganguly and dravid are dropped for making place for youngsters ...why not Tendulkar....Form wise...ganguly is doing great and dravid is comming back. So if age is the criteria ...why not tendulkar? But it was a silly question from a demented poster...don't bother. We all know that tendulkar will go when he wants to.And this is irrespective of his performance in the comming days.....(since he is the only senior left .I hope he plays well and guides the game)but we all know that the same rules don't apply to everyone. Infact if Tendulkar wants to play next world cup...the selectors might as well announce his name now. Because no one in the BCCI can touch him. As for your not being a dravid hater......your posts say a lot about that.

Its a good team. Badri would have been a good selection he's not a bad ltd overs bat, accumulates well and would have been good foil for agressive strokplayers. USeful bowler and good fielder too Ive heard. Great to see Raina back. I am pleased that theyve dropped RD and SCG for one reason only and that is that these two should now concentrate on their test careers and retire from ODIs all together. Yusuf Pathan is not international material. A poor mans Afridi.

i dont see the point in announcing the squad before the 4th test. absolute ch***yagiri from BCCI. if anything, it's going to affect the morale of those not selected. this is not the first time they've done this either. appalling how they lack such simple common sense.

Guest HariSampath

@beetle

When did I say in place of...
You did. The very question u raised as everyone here can see is "why drop Ganguly, why not Tendulkar", which naturally means that u would have picked ganguly over Tendulkar and age was never mentioned in that post, just the fact that Ganguly has been the better performer which is totally wrong too. Sachin has easily been streets ahead of ganguly as all know.
When Ganguly and dravid are dropped for making place for youngsters ...why not Tendulkar....Form wise...ganguly is doing great and dravid is comming back. So if age is the criteria ...why not tendulkar?
The issue of age is totally irrelevant. The facts are both Ganguly and Dravid have been dropped from the ODI side on basis of merit in terms of whether they deserve to be in the ODI team , runs, SR, fielding, running btwn wkts etc. Sachin does and Ganguly and Dravid DONT. simple enough. This is NOT a case of resting or rotation, just dropped pure and simple.
But it was a silly question from a demented poster...don't bother. We all know that tendulkar will go when he wants to.And this is irrespective of his performance in the comming days.....(since he is the only senior left .I hope he plays well and guides the game)but we all know that the same rules don't apply to everyone. Infact if Tendulkar wants to play next world cup...the selectors might as well announce his name now. Because no one in the BCCI can touch him.
Not at all. If Sachin fails in the next 10 ODIs, plays at a strike rate of 65-70 and fields very sloppily, he too will be dropped. But the poingt is Sachin DESPITE his age is performing extremely well and getting runs consistently and briskly. It is just that he is extremely smart and when the time comes when his skills come to levels of Dravid or Ganguly he himself will walk away from ODIs and not WAIT to be dropped like Dravid and Ganguly
As for your not being a dravid hater......your posts say a lot about that
. show me one post since my join date where I had hated anyone ( sachin or Dravid or ganguly ) mindlessly. I had always criticised Ganguly for his poor game in ODIs also called his play selfish. I had wanted Dravid out of the ODI and was happy when that happened, but I had fully supported him for tests EVEN after the 1st test in this series when MOST people wanted him dropped. I had preferred dropping of Yuvraj and Dhoni too for sydney test and including Dravid. This despite me being a big fan of Yuvraj. I always post critically and objectively and NOT mindlessly.
Guest HariSampath
I'd rather have all our test players rested for this ODI series because within a week of return from Australia after the triseries, we'll be facing SA in another test series. So please rest: Jaffer Dravid Sachin Ganguly Laxman Dhoni Kumble RPS IS Zaheer is already resting. Harbhajan can play and Sehwag or Yuvi can be captain. Dhoni needs rest badly.
Why rest Jaffer ??? He has had plenty of rest in this test series, sitting simply at shortleg and after a few min of batting, sitting in the pavillion..so as Jaffer has no need for rest, he needs to be dropped.

here is the reasoning why this squad was picked ... Sourav Ganguly is the notable omission from India's 16-member squad for the tri-nation CB Series, which starts on February 3, and the solitary Twenty20 international at the MCG on February 1. There was no recall either for Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman for the tournament, which also features Australia and Sri Lanka, with the selectors putting the emphasis on youth. Suresh Raina, who last played an ODI in January 2007, and Praveen Kumar, the allrounder who played an ODI last season, benefited from good performances in Uttar Pradesh's Ranji Trophy season, one they ended as runners-up. A third UP player, Piyush Chawla, who was impressive on last year's tour of England, gets the nod for the second spinner's spot ahead of Murali Kartik. Chawla was preferred because the selectors were of the opinion that a wrist-spinner would be handy on Australian pitches. The most contentious decision, though, involved Ganguly. It is believed that the captain, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, wanted to stick with a majority of the squad that won the World Twenty20 last September. Explaining why Ganguly was overlooked, BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah said, "The emphasis was on fielding abilities and they [the team management] wanted a young fielding side for the series. That's why you see a lot of youngsters in the side." After a run of three half-centuries in four matches against England last year, Ganguly has managed 231 runs at 25.66 in nine innings. India's fast-bowling attack will be led by RP Singh, Irfan Pathan and Sreesanth, who missed the Test series against Australia with a shoulder injury. Joining them will be Praveen, who took eight Delhi wickets in the first innings of the Ranji Trophy final last week. While Sreesanth was recalled after a brief stint at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bangalore, there was no place for Munaf Patel. Though both Munaf and Sreesanth were cleared by the NCA, it is learnt that the selectors wanted Munaf to get more match practice before considering him. India's attack will also miss their spearhead Zaheer Khan, who is yet to recover from his heel injury. Gautam Gambhir, who has cracked three centuries in the Ranji Trophy [two of them match-winning efforts, in the semi-final and final], and Dinesh Karthik have been included. Manoj Tiwary, Yusuf Pathan and Munaf have been placed on standby and will join the squad in case of any injuries. Squad: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (capt & wk), Sachin Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh, Virender Sehwag, Dinesh Karthik, Robin Uthappa, Gautam Gambhir, Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma, Irfan Pathan, Praveen Kumar, RP Singh, Ishant Sharma, Sreesanth, Harbhajan Singh, Piyush Chawla © Cricinfo