The importance of introducing and backing exciting new talent with regularity

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

England reaped the benefits of playing 20 year old Sam Curran in the last test.

They are playing young Olie Pope in this test.

Steady stream of young talent being introduced.

Didn't India introduce Kuldeep in tests.Kuldeep and Chahal over established pair of Ashwin and Jadeja. Is Hardik not just eight tests old.

What else do you want???

3 hours ago, putrevus said:

Didn't India introduce Kuldeep in tests.Kuldeep and Chahal over established pair of Ashwin and Jadeja. Is Hardik not just eight tests old.

What else do you want???

As I wrote a couple of posts earlier ... we are introducing and backing good quality talents in the bowling department ( and even allrounder ) . Not just the wrist spinners but also Bumrah in tests.  Result ... we are bowling opposition out with amazing regularity iin the last 2 years.

We are seeing the exact opposite in the batting department. This is the area I am talking about.  Now, it is not possible to try a young batsman here.  But, whenever we get any home series or weaker tours, we need to try some batsmen who have good off-stump game and are ok against the short ball.

Edited by express bowling
14 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Who will he replace in playing eleven. 

Shami may need rest in this series some time down the line, Bumrah still injured, Umesh not in rhythm.  So many slots may open up in the 11.

We can have in the 11 ...

Shami, Ishant, Siraj

Bumrah, Ishant Siraj

Bumrah, Shami, Siraj

Umesh, Ishant, Siraj

depending on form and fitness.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

As I wrote a couple of posts earlier ... we are introducing and backing good quality talent in the bowling department ( and even alrounder ) . Not just the wrist spinners but also Bumrah in tests.  Result ... we are bowling opposition out with amazing regularity iin the last 2 years.

We are seeing the exact opposite in the batting department. This is the area I am talking about.  Now, it is not possible to try a young batsman here.  But, whenever we get any home series or weaker tours, we need to try some batsmen who have good off-stump game and are ok against the short ball.

There are only five batting spots out of which one is Kohli. You don't hand in debuts to youngster unless your others players are done thats how system works.

Ashwin and Jadeja were done in odis once Kuldeep and Chahal made their marks.

There is no batting talent which has been left out.Name one talent which has not been backed or given a chance.It is easy saying youngsters need to be given chances but who are those youngsters.Shaw and Gill emerged only this season and they have not yet played one full season.

Just now, express bowling said:

Shami may need rest in this series some time down the line, Bumrah still injured, Umesh not in rhythm.  So many slots may open up in the 11.

We can have in the 11 ...

Shami, Ishant, Siraj

Bumrah, Ishant Siraj

Bumrah, Shami, Siraj

Umesh, Ishant, Siraj

depending on form and fitness.

Unless Shami is injured I don't see how he can make into playing elevan, Ishant is playing full series after his 5fer.I don't think he should o either.

19 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

if we had finished eng off at 87/7 then it wouldn't have looked this bad ,among the batsmen shaw has the hand eye coordination so might get some useful runs but you cant expect match winning knocks in these conditions even if luck goes their way from rookies ,if you manage to get it then it's a bonus .Also prithvi is slow on his feet which might cause him problems as he gets older.

siraj should have been here ahead of thakur but other than i am not sure there are that many options

Even if we had won the last test , our batting unit still looks bad.

We can't pick a young batsman just for a tough series like England.  

But ... we could have identified atleast 2 young batsmen with good off-stump game and who are ok against bounce.

Then groom them in home test series and easy away tours like SL.  Could we not have tested atleast one such young batter against Afghanistan ? 

7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

There are only five batting spots out of which one is Kohli. You don't hand in debuts to youngster unless your others players are done thats how system works.

Ashwin and Jadeja were done in odis once Kuldeep and Chahal made their marks.

There is no batting talent which has been left out.Name one talent which has not been backed or given a chance.It is easy saying youngsters need to be given chances but who are those youngsters.Shaw and Gill emerged only this season and they have not yet played one full season.

There are 5 batting slots

But there have been lots of injuries, which has or had opened up slots in the last 20 months.  Rahane, Rahul, Rohit .... even Kohli for a test.

But we brought in Gambhir ... brought back Dhawan ... Rohit played a lot of tests.  None of these 3 have any future in test cricket, this had been quite apparent for more than 2 years.  

I don't know whether Shaw or Pant have the ability to play outside Asia in tests as of today. Not talking about Gill either.

But we could have looked at some batters who seem more technically sound ... like Hanuma Vihari or Ravi Samarth. 

Just now, express bowling said:

There are 5 batting slots

But there have been lots of injuries, which has or had opened up slots in the last 20 months.  Rahane, Rahul, Rohit .... even Kohli for a test.

But we brought in Gambhir ... brought back Dhawan ... Rohit played a lot of tests.  None of these 3 have any future in test cricket, this had been quite apparent for more than 2 years.  

I don't know whether Shaw or Pant have the ability to play outside Asia in tests as of today. Not talking about Gill either.

But we could have looked at some batters who seem more technically sound ... like Hanuma Vihari or Ravi Samarth. 

You don't want youngsters to play one match and then be kicked out of the team.Youngsters once they get in have to be backed so it was right called to get guys who were stopgap.

I have not seen Vihari or Samrath bat but I doubt they are better than either Pujara or Rahane.

9 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

but this is nothing new ,we always struggle in these conditions ,i dont think much is going to change with the bat in the yrs to come

We have had many batters who have done very well in England ... Vengsarkar, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid etc.

We have had so many batters averaging over 40  in tests outside Asia.

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

You don't want youngsters to play one match and then be kicked out of the team.Youngsters once they get in have to be backed so it was right called to get guys who were stopgap.

Rohit and Dhawan have not been used as stopgap batsmen in tests.

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I have not seen Vihari or Samrath bat but I doubt they are better than either Pujara or Rahane.

Not better than Rahane outside Asia or Pujara in Asia ... but could be better than Rahane in Asia and Puajara outside Asia.

Moreover, we will never know unless we try.  Before WI 2017 ... most people would have said ... surely Chahal can't be better than Ashwin or Jadeja  in LOIs.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Rohit and Dhawan have not been used as stopgap batsmen in tests.

Not better than Rahane outside Asia or Pujara in Asia ... but could be better than Rahane in Asia and Puajara outside Asia.

Moreover, we will never know unless we try.  Before WI 2017 ... most people would have said ... surely Chahal can't be better than Ashwin or Jadeja  in LOIs.

We need strong openers more than middle order and secondly you cannot have different players for different conditions.I can understand your point but I certainly cannot fault selectors for selecting this squad.

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

We need strong openers more than middle order and secondly you cannot have different players for different conditions.I can understand your point but I certainly cannot fault selectors for selecting this squad.

I also am not faulting the selectors for selecting this squad. I would have picked 16 of the 18 players myself. ( now that no young batters have been groomed )

I was all along talking about grooming a couple of young batters with good off-stump games and ok short ball games ... during the various home test series and SL tour ... instead of trying Rohit and Dhawan.

9 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I am also not faulting the selectors for selecting this squad. I would have picked 16 of the 18 players myself. ( now that no young batters have been groomed )

I was all along talking about grooming a couple of young batters with good off-stump games and ok short ball games ... during the various home test series and SL tour ... instead of trying Rohit and Dhawan.

I don't it works like that, they are playing 5 batsmen even at home.It is not fair to either Dhawan or Pujara to deny them from playing at home. They did get Nair but he looked so out of sorts after his 300.

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

I don't it works like that, they are playing 5 batsmen even at home.It is not fair to either Dhawan or Pujara to deny them from playing at home. They did get Nair but he looked so out of sorts after his 300.

I don't know why I have to repeat my points over and over again.

I don't want to drop Pujara at home. He plays.

For the last time ...  I wanted to try new batters in so many of the tests Rohit and Dhawan played.  They are not test cricket material ... and should not be played either home or away.

Nair was played only when both Rohit and Rahane were injured. He was dropped in the next test after he scored a 300 ... when this happens anyone can lose momentum. I think he just played 2 tests after that.

We are seeing how backing Bumrah and Pandya have paid off for us in this test. Introduction of Pant has infused the team with a lot of positive energy too.  Kuldeep and Chahal have completely transformed our LOI bowling.

The team for the next 2 tests is expected this evening.

Ideal time to introduce Siraj and Shaw in the squad and back them strongly.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

We are seeing how backing Bumrah and Pandya have paid off for us in this test. Introduction of Pant has infused the team with a lot of positive energy too.  Kuldeep and Chahal have completely transformed our LOI bowling.

The team for the next 2 tests is expected this evening.

Ideal time to introduce Siraj and Shaw in the squad and back them strongly.

Yeah this victory was also based on good work by Pujara, Dhawan. Blokes who you've advocated dropping.

9 minutes ago, Unleashed said:

Yeah this victory was also based on good work by Pujara, Dhawan. Blokes who you've advocated dropping.

Yes ... I advocated dropping Dhawan for this test.  And I still don't want him to be in the test team. We can surely find a better test opener than him. 

He did play decently in this test ... but mediocre test openers,  with the habit of constantly poking outside the off-stump, cannot be our target.

I wanted to play Pujara in this test.  Wanted Rahul and Pujara to open and Nair to play and not Dhawan.

Anyway ... this thread is about new and newish players.