Poll on forum policy

The Outsider

Poll on forum policy  

1. 1.

• Petty insults and any other abuse should be dealt with infractions leading to a ban
    • Petty insults should be discouraged(by edit/delete) but should not lead to a ban

The Kids comment is harmless according to him, but the restaurant guy takes it as a family insult Who is right, who is wrong? nobody knows..its how everybody takes it
Dude, i am not saying it is a harmless comment. Obviously, it is designed to cause injury! All i am saying is, if i say to you ' your wife must be so sorry to've married a git like you', say whatever you want, but DO NOT say that i insulted your wife- for THAT is a categoric falsehood, since NOWHERE is there any comment attributed towards your wife! That is all i am asking- that do not misquote me/mispotray me to say that i insulted someone's wife here. I most categorically have NOT. I've mentioned the wife as a tool to insult the PERSON i am dissing, but I most categorically have not insulted the wife. And on this, there is no 'two sides of the story/who is to deciede?' mumbo-jumbo, all it requires is a grade-9 understanding of English!

..LOL, and grade 9 fist fight it is If majority find it insulting then it has to stop, else its better to look for another board I hope we find a solution
Look, i am not saying it isn't insulting ! It is insulting! all i am saying is, it is insulting to the PERSON directed at, not at the wife ! Where does majority come into a simple English sentence ? All i am saying is, do not accuse me of insulting people's wives/family because I most categorically have NOT!

Look' date=' i am not saying it isn't insulting ! It is insulting! all i am saying is, it is insulting to the PERSON directed at, not at the wife ! Where does majority come into a simple English sentence ? All i am saying is, do not accuse me of insulting people's wives/family because I most categorically have NOT![/quote'] Excellent! I think BB's point is well made.

CC, you have to keep the family out of it. 1) If your objective is to insult your adversary and if you dont think mentioning family members is offensive, then why mention it at all (as it isnt gonna insult him any worse) ? 2) OTOH, if you think it would insult him more, then you are conceding that the mention of family members is offensive. In which case you shouldnt be doing it. In either case it makes little sense to bring family into the debate. You are debating posts & posters, not their families. As discussions in this thread suggest, many find it offensive & hence such comments will be dealt with bans.

Look' date=' i am not saying it isn't insulting ! It is insulting! all i am saying is, it is insulting to the PERSON directed at, not at the wife ! Where does majority come into a simple English sentence ? All i am saying is, do not accuse me of insulting people's wives/family because I most categorically have NOT![/quote'] CC, You, I or anyone has no business to talk about or feel for other's family members. Secondly, while debating, why won't to look to put counter points to the topic you're disagreeing with, instead of insulting the forummer? We all come here to have a discussion, a debate, not to insult someone or cause injury to them, isn't it? So it is much logical to shoot the message instead of the messanger. We all might not agree with a number of persons here, but we have absolutely no rights to insult them.

I think all that is needed is a cut-and-paste of Bumper's rules of the forum - he wrote earlier in this thread. Then, lock this thread as that is the final say. To try and get all to "agree fully" doesnt seem like it'll happen. Bumper/Shwetabh should set the rules and say thats it, and then enforce it when violations happen. Period.

Beetle, kindly do not fall prey to Bossbhai's hogwash here. I went out of my way to promise the mods not to mention ANYTHING about family members because of BB's whine. But fact is, forum policy does NOT say 'don't mention family members' - it says 'dont abuse family members'. Okay...first tell me what is the purpose of a debate. Is it to prove your point or to insult and hurt the debator? You have mentioned in your arguments with me that my husband was unfortunate to have a wife like me....and also that I would not make a good mother(not sure about the exact words ...but this is what was meant by the posts)....Now tell me how this has anything to do with my posts.Do I consider it abusive? Yes I do...not just abusive but hurtful too. Was that the purpose of the debate or argument? Why do you (or anyone else) have to bring the family into the arguments?Is it not avoidable? but you are a teacher, so judge this: That is surprising! You have often passed judgement on my comprehension skills and my lack of mastery in the noble English language... Certain people with agenda and a very poor grasp of English are adept at lying and twisting things but i expect better from you really, since you are really one of the good folks here. If you consider me one of the better persons here...then I am honoured! Anyways...My advice is that you should avoid mentioning family members in the debates because people find it offensive. It's like the symonds and the monkey thing.It is offensive if the person finds it offensive . Most of us Indians are sensitive about our families and do not like it if someone uses the family to abuse us. It's like the use of the word "bastard"....Aussies may find it friendly...but we don't.Just debate the debator....and leave the family out of the debate. That alone will go a long way to help cool things down.

Well, we've had the discussion and we can continue on that, but in the mean time we can start voting here to get a consensus. Petty insults : Stuff like idiot, moron, bigot, psec etc. Abuse : MC,BC, sexual references, references to family etc.
How do you define a "petty insult" ?
First paragraph would be petty insults' date= second would be abuse stuff like fool, bigot, clown, idiot, moron etc. cannot be termed as abuse. Not good language for sure, but action cannot be taken on such stuff and certainly bans cannot be handed out. Mods will encourage people not use such language but it's outside the realm of a free speech board to put a strict ban on such usage. Thirdly, abuse involving family members, sexual references, abusive name calling (I don't need to define it, we all are grown up here to know what's a genuine abuse stuff like ch...ti..ya, MC, BC etc.) will be dealt with in an infraction based system culminating in a ban. :
I think it is clear where the terminology used today falls under with respect to the above forum policy.