Govt. bans condom ads from 6am to 10pm

chapetmarunga

3 minutes ago, zen said:

I agree with the sentiments but there may be no correlation b/w not watching ads and having the desire to produce babies. To produce babies, you would not use condoms anyways 

I mean ,we are a hypocritical society.

If the oldies have no problem asking for grandchildren from newly married couples, hence talking about sex,they should be able to watch a condom ad without squirming. 

12 minutes ago, chapetmarunga said:

scale matters. If nearly a billion people use some make up products everyday the environmental impact is tremendous. All the resources wasted just for a placebao ? That's not sustainable given  the reality.

What placebo man?

Make up helps people look more presentable and feel good about themselves.It is all real.

People use it to look better , not change themselves. Everyone knows it is temporary. There are no delusions of actually changing.

Just like people wear clothes that flatter them and make them look taller or slimmer or bring out the color of ones eyes or hair.

2 hours ago, beetle said:

That is why we are so populated.

Can't watch an ad together but want babies to pop out 9 months from the day of marriage.

Birth rates have fallen the most in middle classes (where most of the prudes reside). Prudishness has got nothing to do with birth rates. None.Zero. 

5 hours ago, beetle said:

What placebo man?

Make up helps people look more presentable and feel good about themselves.It is all real.

People use it to look better , not change themselves. Everyone knows it is temporary. There are no delusions of actually changing.

Just like people wear clothes that flatter them and make them look taller or slimmer or bring out the color of ones eyes or hair.

placebo = just something which makes you feel good temporarily so..

4 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

There are more harmful effects to environment for using ACs, Refrigerators and Washing Machines than makeup products. 

See those things atleast have some use in day to day life. What use does make-up have apart from objectification ?

Edited by chapetmarunga

11 hours ago, chapetmarunga said:

See those things atleast have some use in day to day life. What use does make-up have apart from objectification ?

Fair enough. But why stop at make up? What use does hair gel or designer jeans or Ed Hardy shirts or Savile Row suits have?

The real answer to your question is that make up and all the things I mentioned above help a person stand out. Its hides his/her plainness and puts forth a projected facade of uniqueness. Its linked to the primoridial human need to fit into an identity that is appreciated.

On 12/12/2017 at 2:57 PM, mishra said:

Good moove! In UK, Its assumed that Child time is 7 AM - 7 PM. Adult themed serials only appear after 9 PM, Generally after 10 -11 PM. If only our tv channels and bosses knew that children are awake and do sit with parents and somehow self regulated themselves, It wouldnt have come to here

Citing the UK as an example in support of a cause is the worst possible way to defend the said cause. The rules that the British have left us ( from the Victorian era) are some of the most regressive and parochial rules you'd find in any democracy. The IPC and the Bombay Police Act would love to say hi to you.

Re: the ban; It doesn't make much sense. Most children watched TV under supervision and generally end up seeing the channels catering to kids. And they never play such ads anyways.

Edited by Mariyam

53 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Fair enough. But why stop at make up? What use does hair gel or designer jeans or Ed Hardy shirts or Savile Row suits have?

The real answer to your question is that make up and all the things I mentioned above help a person stand out. Its hides his/her plainness and puts forth a projected facade of uniqueness. Its linked to the primoridial human need to fit into an identity that is appreciated.

See IMO at least with regards to clothes there's the matter of protecting artistic freedom & I believe women should be free to wear what they want whereas make-up industry today simply uphold western beauty standards which unsurprisingly mostly apply to women

Edited by chapetmarunga

2 minutes ago, chapetmarunga said:

See IMO at least with regards to clothes there's the matter of protecting artistic freedom  whereas make-up industry today simply uphold western beauty standards.

Does it really?

Think Patanjali, think Shehnaz Hussain, think Fairuz's henna and so on. None of these have anything to do with 'Western' concepts of beauty. The make up/skin care industry is definitely not a monolith.

1 hour ago, chapetmarunga said:

See IMO at least with regards to clothes there's the matter of protecting artistic freedom & I believe women should be free to wear what they want whereas make-up industry today simply uphold western beauty standards which unsurprisingly mostly apply to women

And using make up is not artistic freedom .

What western standards....most Indian women use make up in a non western stardard and there are more Indian women out there than western women.

Why so against make up? 

I could understand if you argued that make up encourages wrong/ unrealistic  image or even if you argued that make up encourages deception :laugh1:...but citing make up as environmental hazard is just barking up the wrong tree.

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

Does it really?

Think Patanjali, think Shehnaz Hussain, think Fairuz's henna and so on. None of these have anything to do with 'Western' concepts of beauty. The make up/skin care industry is definitely not a monolith.

Most commonly used make up by Indian women are kajal, bindi, sindoor .

31 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@beetle

Would you count bindi as an accessory or make up?

My definition is make up is something that you apply.

Depends on what you call make up.

For a lot of women bindi is the first essential ,hence makeup.

For me it is an accessory...

I feel bad for people who come to the thread now after reading the title.:p: