Will we see Kohli's hegemony challenged by Rohit?

SK_IH

Here is how I see it and I will try to be as subjective as possible.

Now coming to Rohit’s skills as a captain.....

Rohit has a good record in the IPL as a captain which is going to be the common point on this thread . (Please read the entire thing before getting panic attacks at the slight mention of IPL.)

Captaining Mumbai Indians especially, where there are always anywhere between 10-20 decision makers/brains each season, can have its advantages but trust me there are a lot more disadvantages with that as well...

in such situations things like shifting accountability and lack of responsibility can easily seep in which will obviously lead to questions on your ability to lead.

In the first season as captain, I really thought Rohit was a rubber stamp captain(even though that would have been a sin saying that on the IPl

forum :giggle:) but in the last 2 Years his on-field captaincy has been really very good...

Also on a scale of Dhoni to Kohli , he is somewhere right in the middle when it comes to showing his emotions on-field meaning he does look pretty composed under pressure.

He has improved his leadership skills and on field strategy. In T20 especially where you have to think on your feet,he has done well.

Even in the recent ODI series he did seem calm and composed for the most part when the going got tough(even though we have to take Srilanka with a grain of salt) and also the best part was he has been more proactive compared to  Kohli who at times is no where to be seen in tight situations(eg,fielding at deep midwicket in a tight chase etc) )  ...This again is my perception from what I saw in recent ODIs if you have a different opinion go ahead.

Now here are the disadvantages of having Rohit as the captain.

Rohit In ODIs  and even T20s is clearly the undisputed no.2 after Kohli but as we know he is still trying to cement his spot in Tests...so there can be some insecurity and lack of confidence that can come from that when things are a little tight even in limited overs.

Kohli on the other hand is right now the undisputed prince  of Indian cricket and removing him from captaincy won’t help his confidence or morale either and you don’t want to mess with the morale of your best player(probably only match winner across all 3 formats).

I think replacing Kohli with Rohit as the captain of  the LOI side can do more harm than good...best case scenario is Kohli backs Rohit in Tests,which might help give him that added confidence to keep turning up the way he has been these days in OdIs and Rohit help Kohli out with strategy and make himself indispensable. 

I also think it is the culture where their leadership has evolved. I don’t think they ever captained their domestic sides so they either learnt captaincy from watching Dhoni(hope not) or at their IPL franchise.It may or may not be their individual thinking but I see Mumbai Indians comparatively usually having a better culture of trying out and nurturing more youngsters than RCB.

Funny because Mumbai Indians usually spends a fortune on some foreign players and just bench them while they try out youngsters :laugh:

Edited by maniac
12 minutes ago, maniac said:

I also think it is the culture where their leadership has evolved. I don’t think they ever captained their domestic sides so they either learnt captaincy from watching Dhoni(hope not) or at their IPL franchise.It may or may not be their individual thinking but I see Mumbai Indians comparatively usually having a better culture of trying out and nurturing more youngsters than RCB.

Funny because Mumbai Indians usually spends a fortune on some foreign players and just bench them while they try out youngsters :laugh:

You see it is a win win situation. They need to buy them and bench them so that other IPL teams do not have them against them or otherwise they might end up winning more matches for the opposition. 

Next, trying out youngsters give a lot of confidence and eventually options for team India. 

The first they do out of their selfishness and the second is selfless helping of team India. Don't you see the simple logic there!!!!!:bow:

:clap:

14 hours ago, New guy said:

His test captaincy has been spot on. He has revitalized our pace attack.and is quite an attacking test captain. It helps that he is his own man in tests

Its getting better actually with him realizing that he has to use Bhuvi more every where.

I did not like the fact that he was leaving out Bhuvi earlier in plenty of games, but now that he is starting to pick him, I feel better.