This interview with Bumrah is frustrating to read

Brainfade

8 hours ago, Brainfade said:

Here's the problem with the "Kumble would've done this" or "Kumble would've done that" statements: 

No doubt Kumble is one of the most knowledgeable cricketers, a savant of the game and a person of high integrity.  But all of his thoroughly researched, well-thought-out, brilliantly developed, highly valid ideas are useless if he is a jerk to the players.  Many reports suggested that he treated the players terribly, and even lashed out at one of the bowlers immediately after the CT2017 defeat.  His job is not to be a high-school principal or parent to the players.  If he cannot work with people and motivate them by using the best methods, he does not deserve to be a coach.  That is not to say that Shastri deserves to be the coach.  I have always felt that he deserves a good run before he can be judged, but it seems to be that he lacks in work ethic and analytical skills.  The only person who appeared to have both abilities - analytical skills and good man-management skills - was Gary Kirsten.  

Of course all of this is pure speculation by keyboard critics, so who the F knows what the real truth is.

What is the big deal if yelled at a player. At that level they need to man up. Little bit shouting at a player is not such a bad thing.

30 minutes ago, beetle said:

Who is the team analyst ?

Did we not have a big eff up earlier when our players had bo clue about what Dhananjay bowls?

What are people getting paid for?

Not sure how a team analyst can help here. This is something which can be told only real time by experienced person. These pitches aren't common and only when someone has seen it before the match or during first hour can say what to do.

Bhuv - first match in SA
Shami - played 2 earlier on flat tracks

Bumrah/Pandya - first match

Same goes for any other player. Captain is good for shouting and encouraging, but he can't tell anything either. 

In the end you need either coach or some senior bowling partner to tell you this.

But the current coach will say - go after them, bowl aggressively and win the world. 

8 hours ago, Brainfade said:

Here's the problem with the "Kumble would've done this" or "Kumble would've done that" statements: 

No doubt Kumble is one of the most knowledgeable cricketers, a savant of the game and a person of high integrity.  But all of his thoroughly researched, well-thought-out, brilliantly developed, highly valid ideas are useless if he is a jerk to the players.  Many reports suggested that he treated the players terribly, and even lashed out at one of the bowlers immediately after the CT2017 defeat.  His job is not to be a high-school principal or parent to the players.  If he cannot work with people and motivate them by using the best methods, he does not deserve to be a coach.  That is not to say that Shastri deserves to be the coach.  I have always felt that he deserves a good run before he can be judged, but it seems to be that he lacks in work ethic and analytical skills.  The only person who appeared to have both abilities - analytical skills and good man-management skills - was Gary Kirsten.  

Of course all of this is pure speculation by keyboard critics, so who the F knows what the real truth is.

If Kumble's wasn't a good fit, then Shastri isn't exactly any good either. Should have been never been allowed to be there.

It's highest paying job in cricket, surely they can get someone better.

Giving an analogy most of us education obsessed Indians will understand, if a serious candidate for a competitive exam tells you that he didn’t realize there was a time limit to answer questions, one will inevitably need to ask - did you inherit your stupidity or did you have to practice hard to acquire it?

It does sound nuts that a highly paid coaching staff can make such a remarkably basic error.  Not to say that the bowlers themselves sound dumb- it’s ok if you can’t execute but how do you get to play at the international level and not understand what lengths to bowl? 

I despise the current coaching set up but I will also say that this seems to be more than an Indian problem.  I’m traveling in the hills and can’t access the constantly, so don’t have a source for it right now.  However IIRC the English fast bowlers have also said the same thing every now and then, much to the frustration of their supporters.

18 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

Giving an analogy most of us education obsessed Indians will understand, if a serious candidate for a competitive exam tells you that he didn’t realize there was a time limit to answer questions, one will inevitably need to ask - did you inherit your stupidity or did you have to practice hard to acquire it?

It does sound nuts that a highly paid coaching staff can make such a remarkably basic error.  Not to say that the bowlers themselves sound dumb- it’s ok if you can’t execute but how do you get to play at the international level and not understand what lengths to bowl? 

I despise the current coaching set up but I will also say that this seems to be more than an Indian problem.  I’m traveling in the hills and can’t access the constantly, so don’t have a source for it right now.  However IIRC the English fast bowlers have also said the same thing every now and then, much to the frustration of their supporters.

How would bowlers know when they have never played on such tracks? Knowledge doesn't come automatically. 

That's why you have 50 year old coaches who have seen cricket all over the world for 30+ years and have enough experience to guide players. 

This is what I said after many times after the first test that our bowlers conceded too many in the first innings ,but How can you blame them when half of them are making their debut and didn't even get a practice match to formulate what lengths to hit!!