Sri Lanka vs India : The series build-up

Gambit

Bhajji was showing great signs at the MCG and Sydney but had a pretty bad test in Adelaide. Hopefully he can take some wickets in the one dayers and demolish SA at home. But he'll have to fight Kumble for that...Kumble usually has the South Africans for breakfast.
Sorry, but that's just utter, unmitigated tosh. A dog can develop haemorrhoids, that doesn't make him human. He's still a bleedin' mutt.
Its an interesting conundrum Doc' date=' mainly because, we shouldnt forget the performance of Murali in Aus in the previous series. I suppose if the world best ever off-spinner and leading wicket went for plenty in Aus, how much of a better performance can we expect form Bhajji. I suppose, that could only mean, that bhajji will go to Lanka, though I agree with you that he has been having mostly mediocre performances off late.[/quote'] Well, how about the other offie in this series who took 4 wickets at 18.75 - as opposed to Murali's 4 at 100? Why not just pick him in the XI, beg him to work on his off spin as well and have him, Kumble and either three seamers or two spinners + Rajesh Pawar?

Mishra's division 2, which will count against him. There've been a lot of bowlers who did very well in D2, but then couldn't cut it when their team got promoted. Pawar's had 3 great Ranji seasons and 1 good one in the last 4 years. We picked him as the 3rd spinner v. Bangladesh, and some consistency would be good - he hasn't done anything to be relegated in the pecking order.

In Sri Lanka' date=' the pitches are tremendously slow and low and so stump to stump accuracy will be necessary for the Indian medium pacers. The spinners are going to have to pitch the ball up and force the batsmen to the front foot.[/quote'] Not really. When India won at Kandy in '01, the track had a fair bit of movement. Vaas, Zaheer Khan, Prasad took 4 and 5 wicket hauls. You would think SL are in a period of transistion, having lost their once formidable opening pair of Tatapattu and Jayasuriya but on home soil, guys like Jayawardene and Samaraweera are invincible. Jayawardene in particular, has been a run machine at home during the last 2 years - piling on 1325 runs in 8 matches at an average of 147. When England toured SL a while ago, he scored a double and a 195. Guys like Dilshan can be annoying in equal measure. Everybody knows what Sangakkara can do. They can bat India out of the game in a day. Basically, success in SL depends a lot on the pitches India will play on. If they are similar to the ones the pakis played on back in '06, India will be the favourites for sure. If they are the usual slow and low pitches you see there - the kind England and SA played on when they toured, then the series will produce either a draw or a win for SL. India's bowling attack won't take 20 wickets on those pitches.
What is the reason for this confidence? Batting against Murali' date='Vaas,Mendis and bowling to Jayawardhene,Sangakarra,Chamara is definitely not going to be easy.[/quote'] well our batting wud be restored to full strength once SRT is back and v are having the fab 4 still..at the top im almost sure its gonna be Viru and Gauti..so then v have MSD to follow our middle order..this is a strong batting line up to say the least and i dont see us faltering that much against Srilanka..i know the pitches are slow and without any bounce..but hey v are accustomed to those kind of pitches..so the batting shdnt be a problem.. Bowling wise..i see Zak and Ishant and Anil & bhajji as the 4 bowlers..well its gonna be tuf for the bowlers to dislodge SL batsmen but im confident that v have the fire power to do that..provided Bhajji is atleast effective..if he is then the remaining 3 bowlers are always a threat..so thats where my confidence is coming frm Gambo :D