Sri Lanka vs India : The series build-up

Gambit

Bowling wise..i see Zak and Ishant and Anil & bhajji as the 4 bowlers..well its gonna be tuf for the bowlers to dislodge SL batsmen but im confident that v have the fire power to do that..provided Bhajji is atleast effective..if he is then the remaining 3 bowlers are always a threat..so thats where my confidence is coming frm Gambo :D
Provided Zaheer takes care of his injuries by the time. If Zaheer remains unfit, how is Sreesanth and Praveen Kumar in such sub-continent type conditions? Sreesanth has the pace and Praveen kumar has an unmatched domestic record to show for it. An average of 21 !

An interesting interview from Murali: 'Hopefully Tendulkar will break Lara's record in Sri Lanka' The Rediff Cricket Interview | Muttiah Muralitharan June 19, 2008 Muttiah Muralitharan is regarded as one of the greatest bowlers to have graced the game. The ace off-spinner has a tally of 735 wickets from 120 Test matches and is galloping towards the magical 1,000-wicket mark. Many believe he is the only one capable of attaining that milestone. 19murali.jpg At 36, he is not getting any younger, but his bowling seems to be improving with every outing. Next in his path is the famed Indian batting line-up, in the three-Test series in Sri Lanka [images], starting July 23. Muralitharan believes that though India will start as favourites, the Sri Lankans are confident they can repeat their Test series triumph of 2001. Special Correspondent Harish Kotian caught up with him in Mumbai to discuss the forthcoming Test series. India have done well away from home in the last few years. Can we say that they start as favourites in the upcoming series? Definitely, they have to start as favourites, because they have done well in Australia. They also performed in a few series before that, like in South Africa; so they will start as favourites. I would like them to start as favourites, because we have to come back and beat them. With India boasting a batting line-up comprising Sachin Tendulkar [images], Rahul Dravid [images], VVS Laxman, Sourav Ganguly [images] and Virender Sehwag [images], how difficult a task is it going to be for the Sri Lankan bowlers in the Test matches? Any batting line-up can crumble any moment. I hope you remember that when you [india] played against South Africa [at Ahmedabad] you were bowled out for 85. You had all these batsmen, except Sachin. So that can happen on the day and depends on how well the opposition bowls and how much pressure the batsmen can take. Records and numbers are all past; the future is all about how you perform. Sachin Tendulkar is 171 runs behind Brian Lara's [images] world record for most Test runs. How do you plan to stop him from getting to that mark? Everyone knows Sachin is a great player, a legend of cricket. But getting those 171 runs won't be easy, because we will also try to stop him. But he is also a great player and he will, at some time, cross it. That record won't be on his mind because he will try to play and win for India. In the same way, I will try and bowl well, and take wickets for Sri Lanka and try to win. At the end of the day, records will come and players will cherish those records. I think he deserves to get the record. It is only 170 and it is not much in six innings, because he is averaging about 58 in Test cricket. So, hopefully, he will break Lara's record in Sri Lanka; otherwise, he can do it against Australia [at home]. 19murali1.jpgWill there be any extra determination by Sri Lanka's bowlers to stop Tendulkar from getting the record? No, there is nothing like that. As cricketers, we try and play well for our country. As far as we are concerned, we try to take wickets; so we will try and stop him all the way. But he is a good enough batsman and will definitely get the record. What will happen on a particular day I cannot predict. The series will also be a face-off between you and Anil Kumble [images]. How do you look at it? I don't think there is any rivalry or anything between us. Anil is a great bowler; I admire him so much. He is a good friend of mine too. He does well every time he gets the ball. Like that, I also have my days. I have done well in the past. Hopefully, I can do well [in this series too], but there is no contest at all between us. Having played in the Indian Premier League, do you believe that the emergence of Twenty20 will hamper the growth of young spinners worldwide? I don't think so, because more players are getting encouraged [to play]. That way they get a chance to study other people's art. That's the way it has always been in cricket. With Twenty20 getting popular, should Test and ODI cricket also come up with innovations? I don't think so. The beauty is Test cricket. The players, if you ask any of them, want to play Test cricket first and then one-dayers and Twenty20.

Test players feature in seven-day camp While the Indian ODI team play in the Asia Cup in Pakistan, some of the Test players will assemble for a seven-day camp under the supervision of Anil Kumble on June 24 in Bangalore. More... Karnataka Cricket Association Test players feature in seven-day camp Cricinfo staff June 23, 2008 344081.jpgTime for some cricket: Harbhajan Singh will get a chance to put the nightmare of IPL behind him © Getty Images While the Indian ODI team play in the Asia Cup in Pakistan, some of the Test players will assemble for a seven-day camp under the supervision of Anil Kumble on June 24 in Bangalore. Harbhajan Singh and Sreesanth will get another chance to rebuild their relationship after the infamous slap incident during IPL as both will be involved in the camp. The players will arrive at 9.30am for a check-up by the physios before taking the skin-folds test that measures the fat content. At 10.30am they will hit the M Chinnaswamy ground for batting and bowling sessions. Rahul Dravid will bat first against the pair of Zaheer Khan and P Vijay Kumar in the pacers net while Dinesh Karthik will practise against Kumble and Amit Mishra in the spin net. Mohammad Kaif, who was in the squad for the last Test played by India against South Africa, and Aakash Chopra will also feature in the camp. Apart from the regular batting and bowling nets, there will be conditioning sessions, individual skill top-ups, gym and yoga sessions. With the National Cricket Academy holding a camp for 35 players on the fringe of the Indian team, the Karnataka Cricket Association will handle the Test camp. The bowlers taking part in the NCA camp will also be asked to bowl at the Test camp nets. Players at the National training camp: Anil Kumble, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, Zaheer Khan, Aakash Chopra, Wasim Jaffer, Dinesh Kartik, Sreesanth, Harbhajan Singh, Munaf Patel, Mohammad Kaif, Yo Mahesh, Mohnish Parmar, R Vinay Kumar, P Vijay Kumar, Ramesh Powar, Basanth Mohanty, Mun Mangela, Samad Fallah, Ranadeb Bose, Pritamjit Das, Pankaj Singh and Iqbal Abdulla. © Cricinfo

Mahela: Adapting to different Indian teams is a challenge The Sri Lankan captain on the forthcoming tour by India and more Mahela: Adapting to different Indian teams is a challenge - A TELEGRAPH SPECIAL LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI 3spomahelacut.jpgMahela Jayawardene Karachi: Mahela Jayawardene, Sri Lanka’s captain (adjudged the ICC’s best in 2006), spoke to The Telegraph in his Pearl Continental suite on Wednesday afternoon. The following are excerpts Q With Team India’s tour of Sri Lanka not far off, have you started to look ahead too? A Not really, but we know it’s very important for us... India’s the Big Brother in a lot of ways and, so, all eyes are on the tour whenever your team comes calling... We’ll be focusing on those Tests and ODIs as soon as this Asia Cup gets over. The tour starts with the three-Test series. How do you, personally, rate India in Test cricket? The Indians have been consistent, which is a big factor in international cricket... They’ve got matchwinners, with the batting being stronger than the bowling... Actually, they’ve got some brilliant performers who handle pressure well... Clearly, the Indians are formidable, but we’ve got a good record at home... That’s going to count. Would you prefer facing a younger Team India in the ODIs or the hugely experienced Team India in Tests? (Laughs) Trying to adapt to different Indian teams is a challenge for us... Both teams have their strengths and weaknesses and it’s important for us to focus separately on Tests and ODIs. Obviously, we already have an idea of the combinations India could come up with... We’ll be looking to counter whatever is thrown at us. In Sanath Jayasuriya, Muttiah Muralidharan and Chaminda Vaas, you have exceptions in your own team, but what’s your take on the debate linking age with selection? I think much could depend on how the teams want to go forward in international cricket... The combination — whether to have one, two or three senior guys in the XI— could also come into play... The strategy is important... Nowadays, one-day cricket does demand a lot of energy and, so, the advantage is with the younger generation... Having said that, if the seniors are fit and have retained the passion and hunger, then there’s no reason why they can’t be playing... The bottomline is you’ve got to assess what a particular player brings to the table and how he fits into the combination being planned. So, age isn’t an issue with you? No... I mean even if somebody is 40-41 but meets the requirements, then he could be playing... However, my view is that once somebody is on the wrong side of the 30s, then his achievements of the past shouldn’t be a consideration... That must go out of the window... He should, in my opinion, only be judged by what he has done in the past 10-12 months. It’s a call that has to be made by the selectors and the team management. You’ve got the Sanaths and also a clutch of young players. What’s your approach in the dressing room? The best way to handle everybody is to treat them equally... Of course, the youngsters have to respect the seniors... That’s part of our team culture. The rules, if I may add, are applicable to everybody. Is captaining off the field a bigger challenge given the age difference within your team? Look, one has to understand that the team is made up of different individuals and each one will have his likes and dislikes... As they could react differently, you do need to give them space to do their own thing. (After a pause) Everyone in our team has a role and each one has to be a team man. I understand you’ve given your players the freedom to express themselves out in the middle... Have you done so consciously? I have... Within the team’s game plan, the idea is not to curb anybody’s individuality... After all, the players have been picked because they bring something special to the team. You seem to be enjoying the captaincy... (Grins) Yes... It can get tough if the enjoyment isn’t there... I wasn’t happy with our one-day form earlier this year, but things have gone well in this Asia Cup... I try to push myself... Try to push my team to get better. Do you too feel that cricket, in general, is getting more aggressive? That the pace is picking up? I do, indeed... It has been happening for over a year now and captains can’t have fixed ideas... This is a challenging time... A lot of younger players are coming in, across teams, and they’re coming with a different attitude... Nowadays, teams need to adapt quicker... Having said that, it’s best not to complicate things... Cricket isn’t that complicated. Will the Twenty20 game kill one-day cricket? No... The IPL could continue to be a hit, but I don’t see one-day cricket dying... On tours, the selectors will continue to pick only two teams — for Tests and ODIs... I don’t think three teams are going to be picked... Twenty20 cricket, though, should improve the skill-level of the cricketers and that will then improve one-day cricket as well. What was it like playing (for Kings XI Punjab) under Yuvraj Singh in the IPL? Yuvi was brilliant... All of us learnt a lot from the first edition and will be better (prepared) next year. Your thoughts on Thursday’s match versus India? We do look to win every match... Our line-up for tomorrow, though, will depend on this evening’s result... The big one, most definitely, is Sunday’s final. Finally, are the players more comfortable with a former captain, Arjuna Ranatunga, at the helm of Sri Lanka Cricket? There are good things and bad things about it... Arjuna has only recently taken over and the administration is settling down... Other ex-cricketers are also involved, which certainly is a good thing... Generally, former cricketers understand the needs of current players better... But i-t’s still an interim set-up back at home. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A quiet and down to earth skipper who has certainly improved SL's performances in last few years. I loved the part where he says that age or track record doesn't matter. It is the recent performance which counts. I think that is how it should be everywhere.

Zaheer Khan doubtful for the SL test series. 2i1p9pw.jpg Anand Vasu New Delhi 04_07_2008_021_011_001.jpg ZAHEER KHAN, India's pace spearhead, could miss out on a part of the forthcoming three-Test series beginning in Sri Lanka on July 23 after being advised to play "at least two 3-4 day matches" to assess his fitness. Zaheer, who has been suffering from a recurring heel injury (plantar fascia) on his left foot, underwent rigorous training at the National Cricket Academy from June 21- June 30. The national selection panel will meet on July 8 to pick the squad for the Sri Lanka tour and the final decision on whether to accept the NCA physio's recommendation, or take a chance and pick Zaheer, lies with them. If they do pick Zaheer, he will get a chance to get back in the groove in a three-day warm-up match in Colombo starting July 18. "Zaheer has shown adequate recovery and coped up well to the given work load," V Muthukumar, physiotherapist at the NCA, wrote in his report, a copy of which is with the Hindustan Times, assessing Zaheer's progress at the end of the camp, adding, "No physical discomforts apart from general soreness reported after any training session." The report details Zaheer's work at the camp including four weight training sessions and carefully monitored bowling sessions. He began with a 50-ball session on June 21,sent down 45 onJ une24 and then 30 on June 25. When the players moved outdoors to open net sessions, Zaheer bowled a longish spell of 12 overs on June 27 split into two spells of eight and four overs. On June 30, Zaheer sent down 16 overs in a practice match, in spells of six, four, and again six overs. At the end of this exercise, the physio conceded that Zaheer had proved his fitness in long spells, but recommended, with a long-term view, that the left-arm quick play at least two three or four-day matches to "get a clear picture of his Test match fitness." The problem for Zaheer is that there is hardly any senior cricket being played in India at the moment, with the domestic season only set to get under way in September An option will be to try and get a game in England where Twenty20 cricket has just given way to four-day matches. Two seasons ago, when Zaheer was out of the team, it was a successful stint with Worcestershire, where he collected 78 wickets that paved his re-entry into international cricket. 04_07_2008_021_011_007.jpg

GOD! These SL FTBs will be TOUGH to beat on their own soil. This is gonna be a very difficult series I feel.
It will be much more difficult than what it looks like now. Srilankans will make tracks to suit their batsmen. I hope Sree and Bhajji come back.

i have forgotten the strategy India adopts for Indian Sub-continent matches.. its been a while since we played in Indian Subcontinent.. do we go with 2 spinners and 2 bowlers or 2 spinners and 3 bowlers? although we definitely will miss the experience of zaheer..but i think we have sreesanth and Istant/ RP . Munaf is also not bad ...so i think we will manage well...

Big blow. Zak is probably our best bowler on typical abrasive subcon wickets. He is good with the new ball and very effective with the old ball as well, a skill that not many bowlers have. Keeping in mind that apart from Kumble, he's the only one who's played in SL, our inexperienced fast bowlers will have to learn and adapt very quickly.

Zaheer will be selected. Whether he makes the first Test is another matter. Indian selectors saw the jackshyte RP Singh and Sreesanth came up with in the first two Tests v SA.
Dhondy, Sreesanth wasn't bad in the second test but the wicket had flattened out to a pancake by the time he got a bowl on it.