If Wasim Akram was so great - why are his statistics not great ?

6 hours ago, kira said:

Wasim was a good bowler but as everyone has mentioned above, agarkar was better and way more more talented than akram, wasim never had the swag of sir agarkar. 

Sir agarkar even held the record for fastest fifty by an Indian, did wasim score the fastest fifty for pakistan? No!

Agarkar was the fastest to 50 odi wickets so he's got wasim beat even over there, also agarkar has a century at lords, does wasim have a century at lords? NO! !

"I wish I could bowl as fast as Sir Agarkar" - Wasim Akram (yes, this is a real quote :agree:)

True. Also, Agarkar won the biggest trophy of them all, Ranji trophy, multiple times. Wasim never managed even one, that tells you all you need to know really.

1 minute ago, kira said:

But did he have an ethical mind? 

No he did not. Cheating and gettingaway with it is part and parcel of green culture. It starts from the umpires to bottle caps and ball tempering. The list goes on and on. Yes if you take cheating out of the equation the Pakistani stats would look well below average.

18 hours ago, kira said:

But did he have an ethical mind? 

Not at all. He blatantly broke all the norms in that historic tour of India in 98. Pakistanis players have never been known for their honesty. Apart from Misbah and to an extent Yousuf Youhana and Younish Khan.

On 07/03/2018 at 11:00 AM, Rightarmfast said:

A great question. Not surprised to see so many responses. And tbh, its a genuine question. I am not going to read all the responses, just my 2 pence. 

Why Akram doesnt have such a great stat?

Too many possibilities. However, the first and foremost which I think is, Akram was too talented for his own good. Most of his balls used to be too good for even a top batsman to even edge! And although Akram wasnt an equivalent of Rahul Dravid in bowling ( he was waayyyy more talented than Dravid ), but just like Dravid who would be enamoured by his own technique rather than score runs, I think Wasim used to experiment way too much.

Statistically if you see, the top order batsmen that Wasim has taken will be lower than most of the world class bowlers. He used to thrive on tailenders.  I think he failed to capitalize on top order batsmen for the same reason of experimenting too much and trying to bamboozle batsmen too much. Compare him with Mcgrath. Mcgrath had just one simple technique, never experimented. But he was just way too successful. Exact opposite of Akram. 

That my friend, is my very simplistic take on Wasim Akram. 

Yes, 100% agree. Sometimes his deliveries used to miss the edge by half a feet agaist top order bats.