Your good name please

Rajiv

my English is not that good, and i once remember being in a position.. i think it was an interview, wherein at the end of it i thought I'll ask the interviewer's name . but couldn't get the right way to do that and ended up saying "your KIND name" . only later did i realize it's your "good name". Your Kind name , why ahhhhhh why did i say that??????? hope it doesn't sound too bad , what do you guys think????

^^ Thats a generic thing CA. A word that I see a lot of Indians, and I mean a LOT lot, use is -actually . The other day I am watching this Harbhajan Saga covered on TV and the anchor goes like this - Well actually what happened was Harbhajan patted Brett on his rear. Nothing untoward was said actually but Symond for reasons unexplained went craxy. Actually this is not the first time since he has done this, the man has been known to actually pick fights. So he sledged Harbhajan and Harbhajan responded. Symonds thought he said monkey actually HS said maa ki.. Instead of watching the TV I should have actually given a contract for the man!

I have seen my father say "Your good name please" many times, guess he picked it up from his dad, coz i have seen him use it often too. A lot of Indian English usages are amusing, esp ones like " like anything", "You know like", "actually"... Some of the other funny usages that i have come across, "Where you are going ?" "What you want?"

I have seen my father say "Your good name please" many times, guess he picked it up from his dad, coz i have seen him use it often too. A lot of Indian English usages are amusing, esp ones like " like anything", "You know like", "actually"... Some of the other funny usages that i have come across, "Where you are going ?" "What you want?"[/
Whaeeere youuu want iiitttt? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7UwZBOKuzM]YouTube - JUJUBI[/ame]

sometime ago one of my colleague found it funny when I was counting on my fingers. People in the western world just use fingers (so they can count upto only 5 on one hand) while desis usually use the finger partitions. So all fingers have 3 boxes and the thumb only 2 so we can count upto 14 on each hand. My colleagues actually found that very odd and whenever I use it they always smile ...Al though I don't know what's funny in that :omg:

sometime ago one of my colleague found it funny when I was counting on my fingers. People in the western world just use fingers (so they can count upto only 5 on one hand) while desis usually use the finger partitions. So all fingers have 3 boxes and the thumb only 2 so we can count upto 14 on each hand. My colleagues actually found that very odd and whenever I use it they always smile ...Al though I don't know what's funny in that :omg:
If you also use the part of the palm under each finger as a count that is 4 * 5 = 20 on a hand. That is the technique used to count out the 108 or the 1008 utterances of the Gayathri Mantra when chanting it.