Australia slipping: Jayawardene

Feed

“Australia are not dominating world cricket at the moment,†Jayawardene said. “Yes, they are playing some good cricket but on and off. They are being pushed to the limit which is a good thing. “The rest of the world is catching up to them, especially in one-day cricket.†Sri Lanka were bowled out for 125 in a dismal batting display against Australia in Sydney on Friday, with the world champions winning by 128 runs.
:D Jayawardene - Jackass of the week.
Australia slipping ? Nah, its more like their competitors are raising their game. I have to be honest here, I havent ever seen a team so professional, so ruthless and so competitive like this Australian team. Its like every cell in the Aussie players' body is designed to win. Their intensity on the field is staggering, and its just not just one or two players, its all of 'em. Rarely have i seen an Aussie bowler go through the motions, or a fielder trudging after the ball casually. Quite simply put, I am at awe at the Australian cricket team, for the professional manner in which they play the game. Of course, I am not in full agreement with their on-field conduct sometimes, but i think they arent any better or worse than most teams. Their behavior gets more attention because they are the world champions.
I guess you didn't watch the last game well enough Sriram. When Tendulkar and Gambhir were going strong Aussies had no hope and looked like they had pretty much given up. Gambhir hit one of the sq drives, Haddin chased while Symonds lazily glanced over his shoulder hoping it would race to the boundary. Haddin against all odds chased the ball and pulled it back just before it hit the rope. Unfortunately Symmo wasn't a party to this chase and only realised very late he should have chased along with Haddin. It was too late as Haddin had to get up, run backwards, pick the ball and return it back to the keeper. By then Gambhir had completed running 4. This piece of fielding by Symo was no better than any rag tag team's commitment. There is nothing extra ordinary about the Aussie unit. They are top players and fight hard but that's about it. I'd even say the likes of NZ and Saffies are far better fighters than the Aussies but just that they don't have as much talented or able players as in Australia.
I guess you didn't watch the last game well enough Sriram. When Tendulkar and Gambhir were going strong Aussies had no hope and looked like they had pretty much given up. Gambhir hit one of the sq drives, Haddin chased while Symonds lazily glanced over his shoulder hoping it would race to the boundary. Haddin against all odds chased the ball and pulled it back just before it hit the rope. Unfortunately Symmo wasn't a party to this chase and only realised very late he should have chased along with Haddin. It was too late as Haddin had to get up, run backwards, pick the ball and return it back to the keeper. By then Gambhir had completed running 4. This piece of fielding by Symo was no better than any rag tag team's commitment. There is nothing extra ordinary about the Aussie unit. They are top players and fight hard but that's about it. I'd even say the likes of NZ and Saffies are far better fighters than the Aussies but just that they don't have as much talented or able players as in Australia.
Ok Ravi, I accept I may have sounded a bit over the top in that post of mine, but general crux of my message was, these guys are the most professional, most ruthless cricket team i have ever seen. They make it the hardest for the opposition to win and you really have to play your best cricket every time to win against them.
Ok Ravi' date=' I accept I may have sounded a bit over the top in that post of mine, but general crux of my message was, these guys are the most professional, most ruthless cricket team i have ever seen. They make it the hardest for the opposition to win and you really have to play your best cricket every time to win against them.[/quote'] No doubt whatsoever they are a top team. They make mistakes too but just that they know how to get over it quickly. Not for nothing they have been 3 time world champions in a row in ODIs. Constant wins breed confident players. Confident players bring in more wins. If they lose a few in a row the confidence they have will take a beating. I don't see that happening in the near future though. They say test cricket is 10% ability and 90% temperament.
Australia slipping ? Nah, its more like their competitors are raising their game. I have to be honest here, I havent ever seen a team so professional, so ruthless and so competitive like this Australian team. Its like every cell in the Aussie players' body is designed to win. Their intensity on the field is staggering, and its just not just one or two players, its all of 'em. Rarely have i seen an Aussie bowler go through the motions, or a fielder trudging after the ball casually. Quite simply put, I am at awe at the Australian cricket team, for the professional manner in which they play the game. Of course, I am not in full agreement with their on-field conduct sometimes, but i think they arent any better or worse than most teams. Their behavior gets more attention because they are the world champions.
Good post MM. The gist you conveyed is perfect. An opp. team has to be 100% efficient to overhaul the oz
All this after a match which Australia lost due to a freak capitulation which they would have likely won if they had selected Brad Hogg.
Dont agree. I dont think Hogg wouldve been effective. First of all,we played him really well in the test series. Also, we were never in any hurry to go after the runs, so there wouldnt have been a need to take risks against him.

The sad way in which they achieved the Sydney win and its aftermath has done some damage to their Pshyce. Loss to india in Perth Test and the Melborne one dayers has been the end result.. What i find amusing is that the Aussie team looks pretty average in their loses.. I def think they need to change their style of play.. Sending every ball to the boundry is fraught with danger especially against an ever imporving bowling attack.

Guest HariSampath

I cant toally disagree with Mahela...he has meant in the context of recent series....just imagine, but for atricious umpiring, SL would have equalised at 1-1 in the test series and Sangs would have got them a historic tets win, and but for bucknor/benson India would have drawn/won test seriies, and even now we are sort of equal to Aus, and SL had performed brilliantly to be finalists in wc 2007, so let us see Mahela's comments in perspective

Good one Mahela. The Aussies have posted sub-par batting totals against SL twice now, and then the bowlers have come out and destroyed Sri Lanka. The Aussie bowlers were even carrying Brett Lee yesterday and still won comfortably. Can't be long before the batting kicks into gear...

'Australia haven't played good cricket' Sri Lankan captain Mahela Jayawardene called on his batsmen to show more patience and take advantage of what he said was an inconsistent Australia in the tri-series. More... February 18 2008 at 11:19AM Sri Lankan captain Mahela Jayawardene called on his batsmen to show more patience and take advantage of what he said was an inconsistent Australia in the tri-series. The Sri Lankans face India on Tuesday with Jayawardene admitting the two touring sides were already fighting for the right to play hosts Australia in the finals. "Now it's become like a two-horse race to get into the finals," Jayawardene said. "We've been inconsistent with the bat, the bowlers have lifted the mark, but we haven't batted well at all." Jayawardene said his team's batsmen needed to display more patience. "One needs to spend more time at the wicket and wait for an opportunity. "It's not easy to score runs quickly but rather you need to work your way in the innings. "We need to keep wickets in hand and bat well and not to have too many negative thoughts going." Despite Australia's dominance, Jayawardene reiterated his belief that the home side were not at their brilliant best. "We are not pushing the advantage. Australia haven't played good cricket - they've not been consistent to be precise," he said. "They used to be very consistent, but not nowadays. "I don't think the two other teams are capitalising on their weaknesses and both the teams should have won against them. "Their experience and bowling have pulled them out of troubled situations." -