Prithvi Shaw and Hanuma Vihari included in India's 18-man squad; Shreyas Iyer to lead India A

On 8/22/2018 at 9:54 PM, Laaloo said:

I would have dropped shami instead and included siraj. Kuldeep is a harsh drop.

kuldeep was not required in tests in england- right decision as pitches dont suit him at all.

Kuldeep failed miserably in the only test he was played in 11 due to Pitch and not due to his bowling.

21 hours ago, express bowling said:

Both Vihari and Shaw are excellent picks for test matches.   :hmmm:

Vihari is an excellent Pick - I am sure about it.

Shaw is talented but not yet at his best- his fielding is not good at all, he is shaping up as a fielder. his batting technique is definitely very good but he is lacking in strength and as soon as the field open up in odi, he will find it difficult to score, more over he requires another 1 year to reach some where close to his best. if shaw gets his debut in england or in australia , australian pacers will clean bowl him out in less than 30 and england swing pacers will get him caught behind the sticks under less than 35 which could demoralise him.

Mayank agarwal has been Scoring big time and is at the PEAK of his career , is strong and has a good technique- i bet on him to Succeed.

To succeed in international cricket on foreign pitches ( not in india), one requires mental toughness too. Shaw is under 20- very few players can be mentally tough at that age.

Just Imagine Mitchell Starc bowling at 156K and Prithvi opening now as against Prithvi at 22 facing STarc, I think he requires one to 2 years more. I would let mayank aggarwal get chance first bcos Mayank is at his BEST, if he cant succeed now at international cricket , he cant succeed in future but for prithvi the case is different , if he fails now , still he can succeed.

if he fails now, critics will come out with their swords marking him as a flat track bully...i am not sure whether he will succeed.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:19 PM, zen said:

But isn't Kuldeep's action his strength as it portrays him as a mystery bowler? .... He could have just had a bad game. Why do we think he can't bowl well when he won us a test vs Aus iirc? He probably needs to bowl more to get in to rhythm and get acquainted with the Duke ball

Ps Anyways, I hope he does well vs Aus A!

I think what must have happened was that he must have tried to modify his grip a bit so that he becomes even more difficult to 

read from hand. 

There were lot of video analysis in England about his grip after the one daysers and they were poiting out little bit bent finger     when bowling his wrong ones . Could be he tried to do some thing and hence lost his control.

thats why he was straigt away sent to play 4 day game so that he can really work out and gain control over line & length.  

1 hour ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Shaw is talented his batting technique is definitely very good but he is lacking in strength and as soon as the field open up in odi, he will find it difficult to score,

Shaw has been picked in test squad.  ODI ability is immaterial here ... but Shaw is a fierce hitter even at his age.  What might really interest you Vishal bhai  ( as you like batters who score quickly in tests )  is that Shaw has a  very high strike rate of 77 in 4-day and 5-day  FC matches.

more over he requires another 1 year to reach some where close to his best. if shaw gets his debut in england or in australia , australian pacers will clean bowl him out in less than 30 and england swing pacers will get him caught behind the sticks under less than 35 which could demoralise him.

We shouldn't speculate about what may or may not happen in the future..  Shaw notched up two 50+  scores including a 188, from 4 innings in the A-team games in England last month.

Even if he fails cheaply, it would be a good learning experience for him.  It is not as if the other batters are scoring big.

Mayank agarwal has been Scoring big time and is at the PEAK of his career , is strong and has a good technique- i bet on him to Succeed.

To succeed in international cricket on foreign pitches ( not in india), one requires mental toughness too. Shaw is under 20- very few players can be mentally tough at that age.

Just Imagine Mitchell Starc bowling at 156K and Prithvi opening now as against Prithvi at 22 facing STarc, I think he requires one to 2 years more. I would let mayank aggarwal get chance first bcos Mayank is at his BEST, if he cant succeed now at international cricket , he cant succeed in future but for prithvi the case is different , if he fails now , still he can succeed.

if he fails now, critics will come out with their swords marking him as a flat track bully...i am not sure whether he will succeed.

Starc does not bowl 156 k.   He is mostly in the 137 k to 150 k range with very rare deliveries that are quicker than this.   I doubt Mayank is any more equipped than Shaw in terms of handling high pace.

Age is not the only factor.  

Which guy has the better technique to handle off stump balls and short pitched balls ...  and a better temperament ... would decide who would do better on international tours.

6 hours ago, express bowling said:

Shaw has been picked in test squad.  ODI ability is immaterial here ... but Shaw is a fierce hitter even at his age.  What might really interest you Vishal bhai  ( as you like batters who score quickly in tests )  is that Shaw has a  very high strike rate of 77 in 4-day and 5-day  FC matches.

We shouldn't speculate about what may or may not happen in the future..  Shaw notched up two 50+  scores including a 188, from 4 innings in the A-team games in England last month.

Even if he fails cheaply, it would be a good learning experience for him.  It is not as if the other batters are scoring big.

Starc does not bowl 156 k.   He is mostly in the 137 k to 150 k range with very rare deliveries that are quicker than this.   I doubt Mayank is any more equipped than Shaw in terms of handling high pace.

Age is not the only factor.  

Which guy has the better technique to handle off stump balls and short pitched balls ...  and a better temperament ... would decide who would do better on international tours.

mayank scored a 124 in 114 balls for india B and got them into finals today...

He has scored more runs than Prithvi as an Opener even when both of them have batted together, Mayank has been under selector's radar and should have been picked ahead of Vijay from first test, Mayank has been scoring at will in indian domestic circuit and definitely scoring more than Prithvi.

i compare everyone with myself when i was 20, i did know how to throw my bat but at 24 or 25 one becomes a genuinely mature batsman and kind of at your BEST..I am repeating again if mayank cant succeed now , he may find it tough in future too, as its perfect maturity physically and mentally for a batsman at 24.

had it been a fast bowler I would have said even 20 year olds bowl fast though a fast bowler bowls fastest normally at 22...

i know that Prithvi will play for India in future and is bound to succeed but i think to give him debut at such a young age against a swing King Anderson specially on a Customised track stitched for Anderson may be a tricky situation...and then even a 150K starc running over...i feel mayank is more ready than prithvi as of today and its just the mumbai lobby which has got him ahead of mayank.

prithvi had some fielding blunders in IPL and i think he is still not a great fielder of the standards or hardik or jadeja or a safe catcher like rahane and KL rahul ...he is being treated as Next Sachin from Mumbai where as I feel folks like hanuma vihari, mayank aggarwal, Shreyas Iyer are also truly great talents and they are physically more stronger than this baby boy.

i am not against prithvi but he is not sachin ..sachin hit qadir for 5 sixes in his debut match and even he was bowled by waqar and wasim...

normally pressure in international cricket is way Big...one should actually give debut to players after 22 only like i guess rishabh is now 22 and he is ready now. 

as i strongly believe that under 137K bowler on average of 12 balls should not be an INDIA Pacer even if he is gurbani ( though he is very talented), similarly under 22 batsman should play in INDIA under 23 and not in INDIA team.

under 20 means a Boy is sitting among MEN...  if they are clear not to play him for next 1 year and just planning to groom him , then it could be a right decision but then they should select some one who has realistic chance to replace dhawan or KL rahul.

i would play rahul and dhawan again if they fail in 4th test rather than playing prithvi and I would trust both these guys longer...

58 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

mayank scored a 124 in 114 balls for india B that got them into finals today.

This was a 50 over match ... what has that got to do with test matches  ?

He has scored more runs than Prithvi as an Opener even when both of them have batted together,

Prithvi scored 250 runs in 2 Unofficial tests in England a month back ... and Mayank scored just 69 from those 2 matches.

Mayank has been scoring at will in indian domestic circuit and definitely scoring more than Prithvi.

Shaw averages 56.7 in FC   and Mayank  49.9.   

i..I am repeating again if mayank cant succeed now , he may find it tough in future too, as its perfect maturity physically and mentally for a batsman at 24.

Mayank is 27

i know that Prithvi will play for India in future and is bound to succeed but i think to give him debut at such a young age against a swing King Anderson specially on a Customised track stitched for Anderson may be a tricky situation...and then even a 150K starc running over...i feel mayank is more ready than prithvi as of today and its just the mumbai lobby which has got him ahead of mayank.

I have an honest question ... have you seem Mayank bat in a 4-day or 5-day match  ?   

where as I feel folks like hanuma vihari, mayank aggarwal, Shreyas Iyer are also truly great talents and they are physically more stronger than this baby boy.

Shreyas Iyer has looked very awkward in FC matches, whenever the ball has been dropped short with some bounce.  His off stump game is very weak too.  How does he impress you as a test match prospect  ?

Edited by express bowling
11 hours ago, express bowling said:

Prithvi scored 250 runs in 2 Unofficial tests in England a month back ... and Mayank scored just 69 from those 2 matches.

Mayank is 27

I have an honest question ... have you seem Mayank bat in a 4-day or 5-day match  ?   

Shreyas Iyer has looked very awkward in FC matches, whenever the ball has been dropped short with some bounce.  His off stump game is very weak too.  How does he impress you as a test match prospect  ?

I have seen Mayank in ipl and in one odi domestic match televised..he is at the best form of his life today and if he gets breakthrough he is bound to succeed.

Prithi has good technique better than Mayank but is Prithvi ready today...that's my question..what's his age. Is he 22

11 hours ago, express bowling said:

Mayank is 27

Shreyas has made loads of runs for Mumbai and is good against pace and spin both.

He is a tall batsman who scores fast and could play well in test cricket ..i saw hanuma and shreyas batting together in a match and both were equally good ..I think it was a 4 day.

31 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

I have seen Mayank in ipl and in one odi domestic match televised..he is at the best form of his life today and if he gets breakthrough he is bound to succeed.

Prithi has good technique better than Mayank but is Prithvi ready today...that's my question..what's his age. Is he 22

Both Prithvi and Mayank can succeed in tests. 

But age would not be an impediment for Prithvi.   Lots of prodigies have debuted between 18 and 20.