“Leave India,” Virat Kohli Tells Fan Who Like Foreign Batsmen More Than Indian Batsmen and the tale of Sachin and his Ferrari

Just now, Vilander said:

import duty is money that an importer / customs agent is legally liable to pay and not keep with himself/herself.

I am legally entitled to keep ANYTHING that is waiver-eligible and i apply for said waver and then the waver is granted.

All of which happened in case of Tendulkar. 

The high court found irregularity with the mechanism of the process (ie, paperwork) and rectified that. 

Its just that simple. 

2 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Kohli should issue a public apology for being a desh-drohi who honeymoons overseas. If others cannot like foreign batsmen over him, he should apologize for liking foreign lands more than his.

when the thread is so derailed that a point on OP topic sounds like an attempt at deflection. 

1 minute ago, Vilander said:

mechanism of the process -- ok like when Sachin used his political connections ?

Nothing wrong or irregular about that. Ask our lawyer mem-sahib for clarification. 

1 minute ago, Vilander said:

rectified that - like making them pay the 1.xx crore duty ?  like correctional action ?

sure. The 'them' are the gifters, aka the ones who purchased the said gift. Nothing of that is reflective on Tendulkar. 

1 minute ago, Muloghonto said:

Nothing wrong or irregular about that. Ask our lawyer mem-sahib for clarification. 

sure. The 'them' are the gifters, aka the ones who purchased the said gift. Nothing of that is reflective on Tendulkar. 

sufficiently generalized to the level of both being  philosophical  about this argument. I would leave it here, for some its clear that the correctional action necessitated by the PIL meant the duty exemption and way it was achieved was questionable on Sachin, for some its not.

4 minutes ago, Vilander said:

you brought it on yourself when you brought in Sachin dude. 

I brought in Sachin for being a role model in behavior, which he is 100x better at than Kohli. Which was a valid comment about Kohli's uncouth and uncivilized BEHAVIOUR. Not my problem if you are too sensetive to see that parents want their kids to behave more like Tendulkar than Kohli in overwhelming cases.

7 minutes ago, Vilander said:

sufficiently generalized to the level of both being  philosophical  about this argument. I would leave it here, for some its clear that the correctional action necessitated by the PIL meant the duty exemption and way it was achieved was questionable on Sachin, for some its not.

There is nothing questionable about Sachin's actions which was precipitated by a GIFT. i can't even call him a miser or cheap or any such epithet, since it was over a GIFT. Had he purchased it and applied for it, i'd just say he is cheap, nothing more. But he did not even do that.

Someone literally dropped him off a gift costing CRORES in import duty, so the man went and applied for import duty waver. What ANY SANE PERSON would do in his position.

1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

No ofcourse it does not offend me- and i say it as probably the only one here who's been refused a similar exemption. 

The whole point of exemption-by DEFINITION of the word, is to exempt- which means to say 'exception to the norm'. As such, any exemption will be somewhere between 100% denial and 100% granted - the latter two conditions ( 100% refusal or acceptance of exemption) makes the whole concept of exemption redundant!!!

By definition, exemptions of any sort are to be selectively applied only....otherwise it is not an exemption- its either a right or straight-up illegal.

?

I do get offended if there are two sets of rules. One for the rich and powerful and others for us.

Let me give you an example. I was on a flight from gulf and there was a welder seated next to me. He was not paid for last three months and was not carrying anything of any value with him. The custom guys were demanding money and bothering the poor person for the watch he was wearing.

I come from a very modest background and I can empathize with blue collar people. You may have different set of values which you and I don't share.

Now sachin gets an exemption for a Ferrari. And you are not disgusted by this? Where is your humanity and empathy? I was not raised that way.

30 minutes ago, Under_Score said:

Would be interesting to know if SRT had to pay income tax on the sale of the Ferrari. I'm a big fan of SRT but If I was as wealthy as him, I would have NEVER sold a gift no matter how expensive it is, unless he donated all the sale proceeds to a charity.

I can bet cup of tea he sold it for some fixed value and made money from it.

32 minutes ago, Vilander said:

no sane person wont approach a polititian friend and try to make it a loss for the govt , he would try to ask the gifter to take a gift back as its costing him x. 

LOL.

Every single person would apply for the exemption and write a letter to the MLA at Vidhan Sabha for the district of the import location (port or airport). Because thats what EVER SINGLE SANE I/E guy does in the first place.

Every single sane person saves themselves as much money as they can via legal means. Filing work-stuff under tax-exemption is the same thing.Stop pretending to be holier-than-thou when thats clearly not the case.

32 minutes ago, Under_Score said:

Would be interesting to know if SRT had to pay income tax on the sale of the Ferrari. I'm a big fan of SRT but If I was as wealthy as him, I would have NEVER sold a gift no matter how expensive it is, unless he donated all the sale proceeds to a charity.

Thats not how self-made wealthy people think. Even billionaires like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet sell things along with donation to charity- just like Tendulkar does. They are all rags-to-riches stories, which means they ALL know what being poor means. None of them act like the way you are describing, which is the behaviour of trust-fund kids who dont know the value of money.

37 minutes ago, Vilander said:

looks like Kohli has not tried to evade 1.6 crore x  lesser import duty through, thats basically what i brought in sachins duty saga for.

Kohli has shown himself to be class-less and not a role model for character.

Sachin didn't try to evade anything, since there never was a charge of evasion for anything against him. You repeating your slander will not make it true. 

45 minutes ago, Khota said:

I do get offended if there are two sets of rules. One for the rich and powerful and others for us.

Everyone can apply for exemption. Rich people WILL enjoy some leeway compared to poor people, because money brings more contacts and social interest. As long as no bribery is being paid, there is no issue. Obviously an engineer will be in a position to get more help from his friends than a rickshaw driver. Obviously a tycoon will have far more ability to get favors from his friends than an engineer. These are simple realities of life. 

45 minutes ago, Khota said:

Let me give you an example. I was on a flight from gulf and there was a welder seated next to me. He was not paid for last three months and was not carrying anything of any value with him. The custom guys were demanding money and bothering the poor person for the watch he was wearing.

I come from a very modest background and I can empathize with blue collar people. You may have different set of values which you and I don't share.

Now sachin gets an exemption for a Ferrari. And you are not disgusted by this? Where is your humanity and empathy? I was not raised that way.

Why is it even a question of humanity and empathy ? Anyone can apply for an exemption to import duty and celebrities will get an easier time getting approved than no-names. Thats how it is and should be - thats what being celebrities mean and thats the perk they get to enjoy for being a celebrity. Just like how they get to put up with the ills of being celebrities that we don't- we don't have to deal with an army of people asking us for autographs while all we want to do is go walk outside, or be concerned with some dude hiding in our bushes to take a picture of us to sell to the newspapers. 

Famous people will always enjoy an advantage in discretionary calls over non-famous people. Thats just called being famous, nothing good or bad about it.