Ind should invest in developing ARs

zen

3 minutes ago, zen said:

I do not follow domestics much. But know players  to have been fast tracked many times like Tendulkar. I do not know how Shaw, Gill, Pant, Kuldeep, etc have done in domestics but am confident of them doing well in international games based on potential and talent .... on the other hand, guys like Vihari have good domestic records but appear like a glorified night watchman at international stage 

From what I recall, Sobers does not have a great FC record :winky:

And Tendulkar had a great record in FC cricket before debut.

Shaw, Gill both have dones well in domestics.

Even IPL star Pant averages 54 in FC. In fact he has been average in limited over games.

Kuldeep - bowlers can succeed without toiling much in FC. That's known and there are many examples. Batsmen don't and there are hardly example.

Gary Sobers averages 52-53 in FC cricket (non-international) with bat and 25 with ball. 

What indication Pandya gives of improvement to that level in future? You're just picking average start of players and thinking Pandya will magically improve to their levels without even doing hard yards in FC cricket especially with bat when most likely there isn't player who has done it.

Setting very high expectations for him and he isn't most talented player in history of game to do what no one else has done.

10 minutes ago, zen said:

a) More talented than Jadeja

b) An unique pace bowling AR from Ind 

c) Jadeja got his chances 

Jadeja can be played too if a spinner is required. But I do not trust his batting as much. Recently in SENA, did well in games where Ind scored heavily with Pant scoring 100s in both games. Pandya could have hit 100s on such surfaces too (Avgs 60+ in good batting conditions)

Where is actual performance in that list? Performance doesn't count? None of those if you have a better performer. What's the use of uniqueness here when performance isn't upto the mark.

Jadeja averages higher with bat and lower with ball. Miles ahead of Pandya with ball (at least ahead in all conditions) and batting performance has been better than Pandya's.

35 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

And Tendulkar had a great record in FC cricket before debut.

Shaw, Gill both have dones well in domestics.

Even IPL star Pant averages 54 in FC. In fact he has been average in limited over games.

Kuldeep - bowlers can succeed without toiling much in FC. That's known and there are many examples. Batsmen don't and there are hardly example.

Gary Sobers averages 52-53 in FC cricket (non-international) with bat and 25 with ball. 

What indication Pandya gives of improvement to that level in future? You're just picking average start of players and thinking Pandya will magically improve to their levels without even doing hard yards in FC cricket especially with bat when most likely there isn't player who has done it.

Setting very high expectations for him and he isn't most talented player in history of game to do what no one else has done.

I do not go by domestics as many teams have below avg players .... I usually remove BD and Zim when looking at stats  .... If you care for it, Pandya did well in recently in domestics picking up a 5-er and scoring a 50 .... even in Ind A games, he out performed some of Ind top domestic performers in demanding batting conditions. Scorecard was posted by @Ankit_sharma03 on one of the threads 

I m more like a guy who sees something special in a player and back him. Be it Sehwag or Dhoni or Pandya. Luckily, IPL serves as a window to observing players with potential 

Edited by zen
10 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Where is actual performance in that list? Performance doesn't count? None of those if you have a better performer. What's the use of uniqueness here when performance isn't upto the mark.

Jadeja averages higher with bat and lower with ball. Miles ahead of Pandya with ball (at least ahead in all conditions) and batting performance has been better than Pandya's.

Pandya is in his first season in tests .... and played most of his games in difficult conditions in SA and Eng .... As a batsman, Pandya would usually be batting higher than Jadeja irrespective of the format 

On 1/26/2019 at 6:52 AM, putrevus said:

They did invest in Hardik Pandya.The problem is he has not done his part and improved his game.He has been around for 2 years.

Your assumption that he will become as good as Holder forget Kallis is silly.Holder has technique which is missing from Pandya.Kallis

had most perfect technique , Pandya even his wildest dreams cannot become Kallis.

He will continue to get his chances , it will be upto him to show improvement, I don't think he has shown any so far.

Exactly my point.. it was not about giving him chances but the team management and fans over hyped him saying how crucial he was and how he balanced the team.. you do understand these things but you do not tell that to a youngster.. this is the reason today we see him making these stupid public statements as the limited success and the extensive hype has got to his head.. I hope he comes out of that and focuses on his game and shows that he can improve