Ishant Sharma's injury update

Feed

India suffered a setback when Ishant Sharma injured his finger during the Australian innings at the SCG. Ishant, who has been India's bowler of the summer, had a swollen middle finger on his bowling hand and had to go back to the dressing room. More... Australia v India, CB Series, 1st final, Sydney Ishant injures middle finger Nagraj Gollapudi at the SCG March 2, 2008 340604.jpgIshant Sharma dismissed Michael Clarke but had to return to the dressing room with a swollen middle finger © Getty Images India suffered a setback when Ishant Sharma injured his finger during the Australian innings at the SCG. Ishant, who has been India's bowler of the summer, had a swollen middle finger on his bowling hand and had to go back to the dressing room as India checked Australia's progress. He was then taken to a doctor and the results of the scans are soon awaited. "It's an unusual sort of an injury and we don't how serious it is and he has gone to the doctor", a member of the team management told Cricinfo. The injury occurred when Ishant was finishing his last over of his first spell when he suddenly felt some pain in the middle finger of his right hand and he was seen shaking his hand vigorously. Ishant went on to finish the over and his figures read 5-0-19-1 with the wicket of Michael Clarke. Despite India gaining the upper hand with Australia reeling at 3 for 24, Matthew Hayden and Andrew Symonds fought back with a 100-run stand and Mahendra Singh Dhoni had to recall his strike bowler to stop the onslaught. Ishant bowled another three overs for 13 runs without any wickets. India will hope the injury is not serious considering how valuable he has proved throughout the tour of Australia. Ishant is India's most successful bowler in the CB Series with 14 wickets to date in 9 games, and third in the overall list, behind Nathan Bracken and Brett Lee. Meanwhile, Ishant's stock had gone upwards since he was signed for a staggering US$950,000 by the Kolkata-based franchise of the Indian Premier League, making him the most expensive bowler in the tournament.

Ravi, I pray that he's ruled out of the rest of thise series, however many games that may be. The lad's been worked to the ground, and a minor injury may be a blessing in disguise. We need him to be in fine fettle for the Tests v South Africa.

Ravi, I pray that he's ruled out of the rest of thise series, however many games that may be. The lad's been worked to the ground, and a minor injury may be a blessing in disguise. We need him to be in fine fettle for the Tests v South Africa.
Agree but just one more ODI in this finals please.

Are you guys crazy, what do you mean this isnt a serious injury? In the current climate where sledging is such an important part of the game, the middle finger is an important part of every players arsenal. Ishant may as well have broken his bowling arm, this is not good news guys!

Are you guys crazy, what do you mean this isnt a serious injury? In the current climate where sledging is such an important part of the game, the middle finger is an important part of every players arsenal. Ishant may as well have broken his bowling arm, this is not good news guys!
Brilliant!:hysterical:
True, and it is worrying to know he may have issues playing the series vs SA (Tests, not concerned abt him playing ODIs). We need ZK, RP Singh and I.S. to form Test attack. Meanwhile, I think MSD will rest I.S. for 2nd Final against Aus and one of SS or Daadaji Patel will play!

Yep, he is VITAL. His line, length and pace have been instrumental in keeping the Aussie openers quiet in the initial overs. If he doesnt make it to the second final. I would give Australia an automatic 10% edge in the game.

I would rest Ishant for the next game. We've been victims of such myopic thinking (risking players for the next game, which somehow always seems to be the most important game), in the past. Even without a finger injury Ishant need rest. He has been working like a mule for the last month. The guy bowled 40 friggin overs in the Adelaide test in ONE innings. I cannot recall Shoaib bowling that many overs in an ENTIRE series. We shouldnt push our luck. For the first time we have the unique opportunity of seeing atleast three of Zaheer, RPS, Sreesanth & Ishant firing together against SA. Rest Ishant for Tuesday & play him on Friday, if he is alright by then.

He should play no matter what. A minor inflammation in the finger is no big deal, it's not like he tore a hamstring or had some severe back injury. Pump the kid up with some painkillers and make him bowl 7 overs. He has been a key player in all of India's matches against Australia so far.