"We were paid to welcome U-19 heroes"

Guest Hiten.

Guest Hiten.

80 college kids (who had not even heard of U-19) were hired by event mgt company. Girls paid Rs 1,000 each, boys Rs 200, to cheer returning World Cup winners FANS ON HIRE: The ‘fans’ wait outside the Bangalore airport terminal to welcome the U-19 team. Angry boys said they were discriminated by the event management company. pic/VINOD KUMAR T Bangalore: Eighty fans who thronged Bangalore airport to welcome India’s U-19 cricket heroes yesterday, were not fans. They were paid to be there. MiD DAY discovered that the girls were paid Rs 1,000 each and the boys Rs 200 to stand and wave the Tricolour and cheer as the team, who routed South Africa, emerged from the airport terminal building. In fact, the ‘fans’ did not know the name of a singleU-19 cricketer. The team had arrived in Bangalore yesterday for a felicitation ceremony. Event management company, DNA, had hired the students. Vinay, who was managing the crowd, said, “I work for a firm that supplies people to DNA for their events. We are paying the students to be here,†he said. Arga, a TYBCom student said, “DNA called us and told us to cheer the players. They are paying us Rs 1,000 each.†Rosy, a ‘fan’, said, “I don’t know any player and I am not interested.†For Sulochana too, this was just a way to earn some pocket money. Arga added that her group had not been asked to go to the stadium. “It is just an hour’s job. I don’t know anything about the U-19 team. We were told to wait till the team emerged from the airport and then leave,†she said. Alka, also from Jain College, hoped the players would be “cuteâ€. But she was disappointed when the team made an appearance. “No, they are not cute at all,†she said. The only Bangalorean in the team was Manish Pandey, a TYB Com student in Jain College, but the girls had never heard of him. Sandesh and Shrikant, from Vijaya College, were angry that boys were being paid just a fifth of what the girls were getting. “I feel cheated,†said Sandesh. The students used the tricolour to cover their heads as they waited for the U-19 team to arrive. http://www.mid-day.com/web/guest/news/mumbai/article?_EXT_5_articleId=1028162&_EXT_5_groupId=14 LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: I guess after a 3 month controversial tour, we needed this ... farking hilarious :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Not bad.....event management companies do that consistently. I remember when I was doing MBA, we were paid money to go and attend a law seminar. It was a commercial seminar and the turn out was much less than what the sponsors were promised. So they came over to Qutab Institutional area and took as many students as they could find. We were given tickets for evening shows in PVR, free lunch and dinner and drinks in the five star hotel where the event was held. Since we had all the time in the world, it looked like a good idea.....its a win-win situation u c.

Alka, also from Jain College, hoped the players would be “cuteâ€. But she was disappointed when the team made an appearance. “No, they are not cute at all,†she said.
Haha, that'll deprive them of all the overconfidence that they had. Also, is this real news or just some masala news?

I think International participation at any level must be given appropriate importance and treatment. It is sad to know about such fan-hiring, though I purely take it as a part of arranged felicitation. But, it is really pathetic to understand the high expectations of U19 champs and the way they were fulfilled.

Guest HariSampath

:hysterical: :haha: LOl, this must be true...because no one really cares or know enough about junior cricket...and the event management company must have done this farcical move for the sake of some TV channel.