Hayden is a liar: Harbhajan

Feed

CONTROVERSIAL spinner Harbhajan Singh has further deepened the animosity between India and Australia, calling Matthew Hayden "a big liar" and Adam Gilchrist "no saint". More... Hayden is a liar: Harbhajan From correspondents in New Delhi, India March 08, 2008 CONTROVERSIAL spinner Harbhajan Singh has further deepened the animosity between India and Australia, calling Matthew Hayden "a big liar" and Adam Gilchrist "no saint". The Indian has been in the headlines on the acrimonious tour of Australia ever since he was banned for three matches for allegedly racially abusing Andrew Symonds during the second Test in Sydney in January. The suspension was later overturned following an appeal hearing, but the relations between the two sides deteriorated as Hayden called Harbhajan an "obnoxious weed" on radio during the subsequent one-day series. Harbhajan said he was upset when Hayden and wicketkeeper-batsman Gilchrist both supported Symonds in the racial row. "Don't talk about Hayden's credibility, he is a big liar," Harbhajan said. "He (Gilchrist) is also not a saint. He, of course, pretends to be a saint - someone who doesn't say an offensive word on the field. "But this is completely wrong. There are times when he doesn't let an opportunity go (to) waste," Harbhajan said, adding Gilchrist said nasty things on the field. Gilchrist, who earned the reputation of being a "walker" during his illustrious career, retired from international cricket after the triangular finals, won 2-0 by India. Sri Lanka, knocked out earlier, were the third team in the fray. Harbhajan described Australia as an "arrogant side" but added he never expected they would give his team "so much crap" on the field. "The whole world knows how the Australians target individual players to break their confidence. This was not new for us either, but calling me a racist was something we never expected," he said. "When we had enough of it, we also gave them back and they started complaining to the umpires about me. It was stunning ... how low they can stoop to break a player's confidence." The off-spinner was, however, all praise for Brett Lee, saying the Australian fast bowler was different from his teammates. "Lee never spoke in the same manner as the rest of his teammates. He never uttered any nonsense to us and kept visiting our dressing-room even after Sydney," he said. Harbhajan said he was happy his side gave a fitting response to Australia by capping their testing tour with a stunning victory in the one-day finals. "It was like Harbhajan v Australia after that (Sydney Test). It was, of course, very difficult to focus on cricket," he said. "I was proud of the way our team played and I believe we have the potential to be the number one side in the world." Harbhajan has been a thorn in Australia's flesh since 2001 when he claimed 32 wickets in three home Tests to play a key role in ending their 16-match winning streak under Steve Waugh.

http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Harbhajan_denies_remarks_against_Aussie_players/articleshow/2845913.cms
JALANDHAR, March 7: India's ace spinner Harbhajan Singh on Friday denied having called Australian opener Matthew Hayden a 'big liar' and wicketkeeper-batsman Adam Gilchrist 'no saint'. Harbhajan, who was at the centre of most of the controversies during the acrimonious tour of Australia, was quoted by a daily as saying "Don't talk about Hayden's credibility, he is a big liar". The spinner, however, made it clear that he had not made such comments. "I did not make these comments. A lot has been written in the last few days, but I have not said such things", Harbhajan said. In that interview, Harbhajan was also quoted as saying that "He (Gilchrist) is also not a saint. He, of course, pretends to be a saint -- someone who does not say an offensive word on the field." "But this is completely wrong. There are times when he does not let an opportunity go waste".
What's the story? Has the Indian media got a fertile imagination or what?

Aus board wants Bhajji punished According to The Age, CA has asked BCCI to act against Harbhajan though he has denied speaking against Hayden and Gilchrist. More... Take action against Harbhajan: CA to BCCI Press Trust Of India Melbourne, March 08, 2008 First Published: 23:20 IST(8/3/2008) Last Updated: 10:23 IST(9/3/2008) Harbhajan Singh has denied to have called Matthew Hayden "a liar" and Adam Gilchrist "no saint", but Cricket Australia (CA) is furious on the reported outburst and has asked Indian board to take action against the off-spinner. "I did not make these comments. A lot has been written in the last few days, but I have not said such things," Harbhajan had said on Friday after a newspaper reported his alleged outburst directing to Hayden and Gilchrist. According to The Age, CA has now written a letter to BCCI Secretary Niranjan Shah, demanding that the board take action on Harbhajan. "Enough is enough. Despite assurances that you have instructed him not to fuel this issue any more, Harbhajan continues to say whatever he wants. When will it ever end? Could you please deal with your player in regard to these comments," CA chief executive James Sutherland wrote in the letter. "We've tried over the summer to get the balance right in the way controversial comment has been managed and we've certainly, through our actions with Matthew Hayden, been firm with our own players in terms of where the tipping point is. "We believe it is possible to make intelligent, thoughtful and even provocative public comment without descending to personal abuse," Sutherland wrote.

I love it ... we have tried to handle our players ... yeah sure ... they have made repeated buffoons out of you ... just STFU and leave our players to our board. Besides in the spirit of honesty ... Bhajji hasnt said anything inaccurate.