Hard Kaur

Stradlater

19 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Can't deny that there is a Khalistan problem among certain section of overseas Sikhs. You covered UK part, but it is much worse in Canada. 

India's relations with canadian sikhs are a little more complicated.

You had the air india 182 bombing: https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/air-india-flight-182-bombing and after 1984, a lot of refugees and sikh business-owners ended up in canada. There was a huge crackdown against 'activists' in punjab by congress.

The many sikhs who escaped, were treated very poorly by congress governments. Banning their entry to india, black-listing them as terrorists, and making it [almost] impossible for them to re-unite with their families.

The BJP recently removed the blacklist, and re-opened the investigation of congress party members like kamal nath and sajjan kumar: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/government-removes-names-of-312-sikh-foreign-nationals-from-blacklist/articleshow/71107484.cms

and they gave other additional benefits, like a 10 year 'special visa', and other forms of special treatment and compensation.

So the process of reconciliation has begun. It was much needed.

What i have noticed, unfortunately, is that a younger minority of sikhs - many of whom grew up in canada and UK in the mid-late 90s - are very anti-india. They are just a minority, but they're politically active.

They know nothing about india, and the only 'indian history' they are taught is 1984. They GENUINELY BELIEVE that sikhs in india are 'oppressed', and because they themselves face racism and live as second class citizens in the west (because they aren't 'white') - the have a stronger passion for an idealistic 'independent sikh homeland' that they can return to, one day. It's probably just a fad, most of these kids will grow out of it. But it's there. Listen very carefully to what this guy is saying (from minute 36):

This is why its very important for BJP to acknowledge 1984 as a genocide and publicize its attempts to bring sajjan kumar, tyler, kamal nath, etc. to justice. And of course - the west, through congress and AAP - will try their hardest to create to a divide between hindus and sikhs. They are using 'sikh nationalism' to counter 'hindu nationalism'.

Indian government has to make it easier for overseas sikhs to visit, work and live in india...while interacting with people on a daily basis. Opening kartarpur corridor was an important step. Sikhs - from everywhere - need to see their history and legacy in pakistan.

Indian government can also change perceptions by giving these young people indian role-models. Having sikhs perform concerts and events in canada/UK makes a big difference. A diljit dosanjh or sidhu moosewala concert makes a big difference to a young kid lacking role models.  This is the only solution.

29 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Yep they do. I even found out that an ex British MP from Glasgow is now a senator in Pakistan parliament. The Pakistan backer lobby is so strong in the UK that they have increased their backing of Khalistani elements here to change their narrative about 1984 from what it was to anti RSS/BJP/Hindu rhetoric. 

well voting behaviour is very interesting as most of the educated brown folk in the UK are Hindus in comparison with the other communities, most of them Gujarati Hindus so have a strong affiliation to modi and BJP since 2014. They have started to shift their votes to Conservatives since the 2015 election but a lot of the Muslim and Sikh voting bloc still votes for Labour. Most of the current muslim and Sikh MPs are from Labour.

So yes there is a political divide between Asians in the UK where Hindus - conservatives, BJP and Pro modi/India on one side and Sikhs/Muslims - Labour, anti India/Hindu, pro Pakistan/Kashmir/Khalistan on the other.

Is the divide almost 50-50? I'm surprised sikhs aren't changing their votes. What's the issue there?

And who controls the gurdwaras? BJP works very closely with temples and hindu communities in UK. Controlling places of worship is very important - they are meeting places for the community. If gurdwaras are being led by british government or ISI-paid priests, then it's very difficult for BJP to have any control over the sikh vote.

I still remember indian diplomats seeing protests when visiting gurdwaras...even in countries like australia:

The BBC recently released a documentary on 'sikh radicalisation'...almost as if they're actively promoting sikhs to becoming more 'nationalistic.

13 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

Is the divide almost 50-50? I'm surprised sikhs aren't changing their votes. What's the issue there?

And who controls the gurdwaras? BJP works very closely with temples and hindu communities in UK. Controlling places of worship is very important - they are meeting places for the community. If gurdwaras are being led by british government or ISI-paid priests, then it's very difficult for BJP to have any control over the sikh vote.

I still remember indian diplomats seeing protests when visiting gurdwaras...even in countries like australia:

The BBC recently released a documentary on 'sikh radicalisation'...almost as if they're actively promoting sikhs to becoming more 'nationalistic.

It’s hard to say what the exact ratio is. The majority of Sikh voters are Labour. 

And I’m confused as to how BJP as a political party has influence in UK mandirs? The committees themselves are always having internal  politics and some of them personally might like BJP but not way the party has any influence on mandirs. There is a UK wing of the RSS which is called the HSS but this is full of gujji old men and have no substantial influence on UK Hindus.

Gurudwaras on the other hand are controlled by their committees but as a lot of the 2/3rd generation Sikhs are anti India and Khalistani then they already have a cause under which politics and ideology is spread in their temples and communities. They closely work with Kashmiri separatists and Pakistanis in the UK to mobilise against India and have mass rallies every year on June about 1984 and their desire for a 2020 independence’ referendum’. The Conservative government has no particular desire to get involved in gurudwaras as a lot of Sikhs don’t like the Tories and Boris.

20 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

It’s hard to say what the exact ratio is. The majority of Sikh voters are Labour. 

And I’m confused as to how BJP as a political party has influence in UK mandirs? The committees themselves are always having internal  politics and some of them personally might like BJP but not way the party has any influence on mandirs. There is a UK wing of the RSS which is called the HSS but this is full of gujji old men and have no substantial influence on UK Hindus.

Gurudwaras on the other hand are controlled by their committees but as a lot of the 2/3rd generation Sikhs are anti India and Khalistani then they already have a cause under which politics and ideology is spread in their temples and communities. They closely work with Kashmiri separatists and Pakistanis in the UK to mobilise against India and have mass rallies every year on June about 1984 and their desire for a 2020 independence’ referendum’. The Conservative government has no particular desire to get involved in gurudwaras as a lot of Sikhs don’t like the Tories and Boris.

BJP have a close connection with temples in the US, at least where i live. Fund-raisers, community events, and other forms of outreach are commonly held at temples. I thought it was the same thing in the UK.

From what you're saying, it seems like gurdwaras in the UKs are a lost cause. Why do sikhs hate the tories? Do they face more racism than hindus? I know many sikhs were labor-class to begin with, but i thought they were better-off than muslims.

8 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

BJP have a close connection with temples in the US, at least where i live. Fund-raisers, community events, and other forms of outreach are commonly held at temples. I thought it was the same thing in the UK.

From what you're saying, it seems like gurdwaras in the UKs are a lost cause. Why do sikhs hate the tories? Do they face more racism than hindus? I know many sikhs were labor-class to begin with, but i thought they were better-off than muslims.

Nope from my knowledge, there is no tangible association with Hindu temples here. As I said the old uncles on the committees are focused on internal politics for power grabbing they dont let young ideas come into the running of temples to promote the faith to kids free of politics. There might be a time that within a generation local temples in UK might cease to exist as there is no personal connection to the faith to sustain the places of worship.

Its not about racism. Brown people face racism in equal measures because the common white person cannot differentiate between hindus sikhs and muslims. Its the fact that Labour have politicised the Khalistani and Sikh rights subtly from their ISI lobbyists who want gurudwaras and sikh community in the UK to continue spewing anti India rhetoric. The Labour party is sympathetic to the cause therefore sees support from both muslims and sikhs.

When it came out that the conservative gov of Thatcher sent in a SAS to help train the indian army before Operation Blue Star, that also has painted the Tories as a Pro India party, but in reality they themselves have done nothing tangible to show support for India. Hindus vote more for conservatives because they dont like Labour and conservatives are for the economically well off ( which hindus are) as opposed to voting for them because Conservatives are Pro India, which I cannot say for sure.

@Manny_Pacquiao

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/18/tory-islamophobia-inquiry-chair-swaran-singh-in-fresh-row-over-kashmir

A sikh professor who was heading up the committee for investigating Islamophobia within the Conservative Party had to resign because A muslim peer from the same party accused him of Islamophobia because he highlighted the hypocrisy in the Kashmir situation regarding victimhood and how minority Pandits and Sikhs have been ignored by the political establishment.

So just for stating facts he was hounded out of his position by Muslim Conservative politicians.

12 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

@Manny_Pacquiao

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/18/tory-islamophobia-inquiry-chair-swaran-singh-in-fresh-row-over-kashmir

A sikh professor who was heading up the committee for investigating Islamophobia within the Conservative Party had to resign because A muslim peer from the same party accused him of Islamophobia because he highlighted the hypocrisy in the Kashmir situation regarding victimhood and how minority Pandits and Sikhs have been ignored by the political establishment.

So just for stating facts he was hounded out of his position by Muslim Conservative politicians.

Prof Swaran Singh so right there, why was this a controversy? * these Pakistanis man, * them. What have they done in UK except running grooming gangs? 

13 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

@Manny_Pacquiao

The UK will never support the idea of a unified subcontinent. Any changing (or re-drawing) of borders is a direct attack on the british legacy of a divided subcontinent. Opposing 'hindu revivalism' is a bipartisan position.

Which is why the british government always prioritizes muslim victimhood and asks for 'peaceful relations' with pakistan. They make a fair bit of money from the threat of conflict in a divided subcontinent (through arms exports, or whatever else).

On 6/8/2020 at 3:14 PM, maniac said:

I know some of these Khalistani folks are probably funded or even try to stay relevant by spewing hate but I do understand if some expat Sikhs have an issue with India or its government. Especially the ones who left india in the 80s.

The biggest blot on this country was the 1984 genocide of Sikhs and when some of the criminals involved in those horrific acts are still free and some even rewarded with ministries and in positions of power, they have the right to be pissed.

Congress party should have been disbanded after that and the fake Gandhi family has enough money anyways and they should have been sent to a foreign country of their choosing to live a lavish life with the looted money from India but should have been kept away from Indian politics.

sometimes I feel 2002 is magnified almost like Congress way of creating a equivalence. 

Yes human lives is human lives and I am not saying one communal right is better than the other but we are comparing a communal right to a federal government sponsored genocide . 

This. 

BJP govt should publicly apologise to sikhs and tell diaspora that India repents those events. Let reconciliation begin. They are our people.