Would Kapil Dev make it into the current Indian bowling line up as a strike bowler?

maniac

18 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Kapil will be behind Bumrah and Shami for sure. He will fight for the third seamer's spot with Yadav, Ishant, and Bhuvi.

Bro, I think Srinath and Zak will give him a stiff competition for the 3rd seamers position. But yes, I understand you are trying to say that his batting abilities could give him an edge.

3 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Bro, I think Srinath and Zak will give him a stiff competition for the 3rd seamers position. But yes, I understand you are trying to say that his batting abilities could give him an edge.

I thought this was a Kapil thread. If Sri and Zak are involved, they are well ahead of Kapil IMO. Infact, I would put Sri or Zak as the 3rd seamer and use Kapil only for his allround abilities

5 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

I thought this was a Kapil thread. If Sri and Zak are involved, they are well ahead of Kapil IMO. Infact, I would put Sri or Zak as the 3rd seamer and use Kapil only for his allround abilities

The thread says that Kapil was a better bowler than our current lot. I am in disagreement. I say, the current lot is much better and Kapil will have to fight it out with even Srinath and Zak for a position. I consider Srinath a better bowler than Kapil and Zak on similar lines.

Kapil is better than every other Indian bowler barring Bumrah.Bumrah I would hold judgement as his body of work is very small. If Bumrah gets to atleast 200 test wickets at this pace then we can revisit his case.

It is not even a contest between Kapil and other bowler including Shami, Srinath and Zak. Add his batting he would be first name on any Indian eleven in any format.

Kapil would be the 2nd  choice  towering every one baring Bumrah into the team. Kapil is convincingly  superior to every bowler including Bumrah as of now.

Whether Bumrah can surpass  Kapil  as a bowler only time will tell.

Whether Kapil was quick or not , whether  Kapil could  induce fear among opposition batsmen etc etc doesn't matter at all. This is because  when stats taken into account based on all contexts  Kapil was convincingly  superior to every bowler. My final take &  no more into this .

22 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

The thread says that Kapil was a better bowler than our current lot. I am in disagreement. I say, the current lot is much better and Kapil will have to fight it out with even Srinath and Zak for a position. I consider Srinath a better bowler than Kapil and Zak on similar lines.

I don't think the OP said Kapil is a better bowler maybe the replies by other posters would have suggested so. What makes me think higher of Bumrah, Shami or Srinath is the fact that when you are faced with 200/0 in batting conditions, you think of these 3 to get you wickets and bring some sort of control to the game. Bumrah and Shami also destroy oppositions when they are on song. Srinath also did so in one game against NZ where we were bowled out for 80 odd in a home test and Sri came up with a great spell to decimate and restrict NZ to 200+. We came back in the second innings with a 500+ score and it ended in a draw. I cannot recollect Kapil do something like this as a bowler (his batting and allround skills were great though). I also recollect Sri hit a SL batsman in the helmet and the ball broke a grill and smashed his nose. He also hit Ponting in the helmet in his heyday who used to pull off the front foot. I so wish Sri staring into him with cold west indian eyes rather than saying "are you ok". Srinath had raw pace and put effort into his deliveries