Harsha Bhogle's excellent words on the current chaos

sandeep

1 hour ago, Audiophile said:

I hope you felt no sense of anger when your kind were indiscriminately butchered after the Indira Gandhi assassination in 1984 due to the fault of a few. After all you guys deserved to be murdered like pigs, right? You see this khoon ka balda khoon approach works only for a little while and then comes to bite your ass!

However, its your brain, your thinking and your free choice!

Dishonest comparison.

Killings in 1947 between Sikhs and Muslims in Punjab was a massacre  between two groups who were equally responsible. If the Sikhs just sat on their backside by taking a moral highground and allowed Muslims to  do ethnic cleansing on their side, Indian  Punjab would have been left with 30% Muslim population today and suffering from Islamic extremism like West Bengal does. Besides,  its a simple concept if Pakistan fires a nuke towards India thereby killing innocents,  India will do the same to teach Pakistan State a lesson even if innocents are going to be killed on the Pakistan side. Its a fight between two Nations,  two groups. 

1984 killings of Sikhs was a one sided genocide sponsored by the State.  Killing so many Sikhs in many parts of the country served no purpose at all. 

28 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

Do you think in 1984 it was all one way traffic?

Both sides have stopped fighting against each other and they dont try to convert each other. They want to move forward in life, not spend their lives believing purely in fairytales.

Well it seemed like you think the Sikhs had it coming in 1984. Not sure you would think the same way if someone close to you got killed. But if you do, I have nothing but sorrow for you.

Racial and religious animosity is a slippery slope my friend. Just because one side does it, does not justify the other side going for eye for an eye. There are plenty of examples in history. There are other ways that are more holistic. Anyway, I do not think we can change each other's mind. Let's just agree to disagree.

18 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Dishonest comparison.

Killings in 1947 between Sikhs and Muslims in Punjab was a massacre  between two groups who were equally responsible. If the Sikhs just sat on their backside by taking a moral highground and allowed Muslims to  do ethnic cleansing on their side, Indian  Punjab would have been left with 30% Muslim population today and suffering from Islamic extremism like West Bengal does. Besides,  its a simple concept if Pakistan fires a nuke towards India thereby killing innocents,  India will do the same to teach Pakistan State a lesson even if innocents are going to be killed on the Pakistan side. Its a fight between two Nations,  two groups. 

1984 killings of Sikhs was a one sided genocide sponsored by the State.  Killing so many Sikhs in many parts of the country served no purpose at all. 

Not at all. It is a valid point. And you are spouting your opinions like an esteemed historian. What makes you think a genocide cannot happen again? These things start with small stuff and slowly snowball. There are plenty of examples in history. And to be clear, you mention the state I grew up in ... I despise the govt and the pandering they do. Just because I am not in line with what BJP govt is doing does not mean I support the other side. Both are dirty.

20 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

Well it seemed like you think the Sikhs had it coming in 1984. Not sure you would think the same way if someone close to you got killed. But if you do, I have nothing but sorrow for you.

Racial and religious animosity is a slippery slope my friend. Just because one side does it, does not justify the other side going for eye for an eye. There are plenty of examples in history. There are other ways that are more holistic. Anyway, I do not think we can change each other's mind. Let's just agree to disagree.

Not at all, i was saying that there was violence on both sides. Stop putting words into my mouth.

41 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

Not at all, i was saying that there was violence on both sides. Stop putting words into my mouth.

Nope. You said, Do you think in 1984 it was all one way traffic?

Which implies that the Sikhs deserved what happened to them. Now some probably did, especially the ones who killed Mrs. Gandhi and the militant ones that held the Golden Temple hostage and armed to the brim. But did the vast majority of innocent Sikhs that did not commit any crime even if some were sympathetic to the Khalistan cause. By saying that to counter Islamic extremisim, we should form our own extremist group(s) is a dangerous tactic. Because one day they will go after you because you are not a Hindu, or someone like me, because I am not Hindu enough by their book. We already know these miscreants think of women as NOT equal as men, vandalize stores selling Valentine's Day merchandise, against women wearing clothes that show skin, are homophobic, etc. etc.

Edited by Audiophile

9 hours ago, Audiophile said:

Nope. You said, Do you think in 1984 it was all one way traffic?

Which implies that the Sikhs deserved what happened to them. Now some probably did, especially the ones who killed Mrs. Gandhi and the militant ones that held the Golden Temple hostage and armed to the brim. But did the vast majority of innocent Sikhs that did not commit any crime even if some were sympathetic to the Khalistan cause. By saying that to counter Islamic extremisim, we should form our own extremist group(s) is a dangerous tactic. Because one day they will go after you because you are not a Hindu, or someone like me, because I am not Hindu enough by their book. We already know these miscreants think of women as NOT equal as men, vandalize stores selling Valentine's Day merchandise, against women wearing clothes that show skin, are homophobic, etc. etc.

Do you not understand what one way traffic means? It means it wasnt just one group being killed.

Several Hindus were killed in Punjab from 1984-1995 after the events of 1984.