Hayden away from home

Came across this quite surprising stat. Hayden has only 8(out of 30) tons away from home and averages a 'mere' 42. Average in England - 34 In India - 61 In NZ - 28 In RSA - 34 In SL - 47 Quite surprising for a player of his supposed caliber.

How many of his away matches were played before his comeback in 2001 ? I think its will make better sense if we study his numbers from 2001 tour to Ind, coz that was when he metamorphosized into a truly great batsman. In fact, I remember reading Doc's list of the most prolific run-scorers this decade and Hayden tops the list, which is a fantastic achievement. And to add on to the point, since his comeback in 2001, Hayden has played 35 test matches away from home, scored 2812 runs at an average 47 with 8 100s. Now, just 8 100s abroad may not seem THAT impressive, considering he has a total of 30, but if you take into account that those 8 100s came in the span of 35 matches, it isnt such a bad achievement. With regards to his record in specific countries, the OP says he averages 34 in England, 28 in NZ and 34 in S.Africa. Apply the same post-2001 condition and numbers look a bit different, except England. Post that landmark Ind tour, Hayden averages 49 in S.Africa, 63 in West Indies, 47 in Sri Lanka and of course, 61 in India. His numbers in Bangladesh and NZ, where he averages 35 and 31 respectively, are a bit mis-leading coz he has played a combined 5 matches in those countries. Probably, the only major blemish in his stunning career is his performance in England, where he clocks a 'paltry' 35 runs per innings.

How many of his away matches were played before his comeback in 2001 ? I think its will make better sense if we study his numbers from 2001 tour to Ind, coz that was when he metamorphosized into a truly great batsman. In fact, I remember reading Doc's list of the most prolific run-scorers this decade and Hayden tops the list, which is a fantastic achievement. .
Excellent point MM :two_thumbs_up: Good analysis. As few others said, Monster batsman, cra.p sportsman.